CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: ?
Scotty 43 45.74%
LaForge 13 13.83%
O'Brien 24 25.53%
Torres 5 5.32%
Tucker 9 9.57%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25 2012, 07:05 PM   #76
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Best engineering chief?

the Asian guy from "the Naked Now."

But if we're going by regulars, I'd say Geordi LaForge. Scotty was good but he was rarely IN engineering in TOS, he was usually on the bridge taking over for Kirk. Plus Geordi had the cool VISOR.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:43 AM   #77
imajakov
Cadet

To quote a previous poster:

"I want to say Scotty, but I keep remembering his insistence that it takes 30 minutes to restart the warp drive in "The Naked Now" ("I can't change the laws of physics.... I've got to have 30 minutes!") vs. Trip doing the same thing in "Divergence" in 2 minutes ("That's impossible!", "Watch me!")"

I couldnt agree more. Trip was the engineer of the first warp 5 ship. he wrote the book. Scotty( in all his brilliance) just read it .

Scotty had the benefit of having almost 100 years of humans experience with flying god knows where around the Alpha Quardant, while tinkering with Warp 5,6,7,8,and 9 ships before him. Not to mention whatever knowledge the Vulcans ,Andorians , and Tellerittes gave to the Humans as part of the mutual contributions after the Federation was created.

Tpol called what Trip did "impossible:" Even though she wasnt an engineer its still Very high praise coming from her.This is from a Vulcan who part of a species that possessed warp drive centuries before humans did and all without anyones help( except for that engineer from the episode Cogenitor.)

Still Scotty kept himself alive for 75 by rigging a transporter.... Something Laforge called "a genius"

Honestly want to give it a a close tie between Trip+ Scotty,but if had to choose as much as i bow to Scottys brilliance, Trip gets extra points for being older and not being a starfleet grad, and not having anyone come before him like Scotty did.

Scott did say it takes 30 min to restart a warp drive.. Trip outdid him there.

Plus Scott lives alot longer, in fact as far as the canon goes, hes still alive BY the end of the TNG timeline in Nemesis.Trip did all that and he was in his mid 30s before he died young.

the only thing that puts Scotty almong the best was his transporter lifeboat idea, but for all we know Trip might have come up with the same idea( to survive in a pattern buffer)
I certainly wouldnt put it past Trip. Trip had NO ONE come before him and he still made his miracles.

I bet if Trip had made it to Scottys age ,i have no doubt Trip would be twice the engineer Scotty was.

Last edited by imajakov; February 28 2013 at 09:08 AM.
imajakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:26 PM   #78
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

O'Brien. Really likeable "everyman" type of guy, I'd instantly want to buy him a pint if I met him. You can always rely on him getting you out of a tight spot. Plus the poor bloke has to suffer such a lot, so he gets my sympathy vote as well!
Old February 28 2013, 04:08 PM   #79
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

O'Brien. Sure, any human engineer can make Federation technology work but, only O'Brien could make Federation, Cardassian and Bajorn tech work together.