Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: ?
Scotty 43 45.74%
LaForge 13 13.83%
O'Brien 24 25.53%
Torres 5 5.32%
Tucker 9 9.57%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19 2012, 06:33 AM   #46
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Best engineering chief?

O'Brien...yeah, he's not an officer, but as they say in the military, he works for a living! And indeed he does...he's probably the most hard-working of any of the engineers (only Scotty comes close), and the most willing to really get his hands dirty. Not only that--he had engineering challenges every day to deal with on DS9 that none of the commissioned officers on the list had to deal with, and he pulled it off fantastically.
Old September 20 2012, 10:46 PM   #47
marksound
Fleet Captain

Scotty kept the Enterprise flying even though Kirk repeatedly beat the living bat crap out of her.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 10:54 PM   #48
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Takeru wrote: View Post
Scotty sucked! Sorry Scotty fans but it's true, when was he ever a shown to be a good engineer? He did an okay job but only seemed great because he flat out lied to his superiors.
BLASPHEMY! It's blasphemy, I tell you!
Old September 21 2012, 01:24 AM   #49
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Cmon, Scotty often saved the day using band-aids and a wrench.

One of my favorite scnes with him is in That Which Survives when he has to crawl into that chamber to fix something or the ship will be blown to bits.

The dialog between Spock and Scotty is priceless;

Lt. Cmdr Scotty : [working in the service crawlway] I'm so close to the flow now that it feels like ants crawling all over my body.

Mr. Spock: Mr Scott, I suggest you refrain from any further subjective descriptions. You now have 10 minutes and 19 seconds in which to perform your task.
Mr. Spock: Mr. Scott, you have accomplished your task.

Scotty: You might at least say thank you.

Mr. Spock: For what purpose, Mr. Scott? What is it in you humans that requires an overwhelming display of emotion in a situation such as this?

'Scotty' : [muttering] Never mind.

Mr. Spock: Two men pursue the only reasonable course of action, and yet you feel that something else is necessary.

Last edited by Nightdiamond; September 21 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 01:29 PM   #50
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
He admitted it himself, he wildly exaggerated to become known as a miracle worker, no exaggeration, no miracle worker, no best engineer.
As already pointed out, and correctly, by Maurice upthread, that was a joke. Playful banter between two old friends, Kirk and Scotty.
It was also the advice he gave to Geordi in 'Relics' - and he was shocked Geordi wasn't regularly inflating his timetables to make himself look good.
It was also corroborated by all the times when he needed unrealistically less time than he reported to his superiors for completing a task.
If that was a joke, well, Scotty put the joke into praxis repeatedly.

As for 'best engineer' - it's a tie between Tucker and O'Brien, the most realistic engineers on the show.

Laforge and Torres are disqualified by their technobabble solutions - command of the laws of nature by technobabble would be nice, but it's not in the cards in the real world; as such, it's cheap.
Old September 22 2012, 03:13 PM   #51
NrobbieC
Commander

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Scotty sucked! Sorry Scotty fans but it's true, when was he ever a shown to be a good engineer? He did an okay job but only seemed great because he flat out lied to his superiors.
BLASPHEMY! It's blasphemy, I tell you!
Truth hurts, bro.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 08:43 PM   #52
Mr_Homn
Captain

Since no one answered, I'll ask again:

Since when is O'brien chief of engineering? I've never heard of him having that title. He was Chief of Ops and Transporter Chief. I haven't seen 100% of ds9, so if I'm wrong, and he holds that title for a short time, please correct me.
Old September 22 2012, 11:15 PM   #53
NrobbieC
Commander

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

Since when is O'brien chief of engineering? I've never heard of him having that title. He was Chief of Ops and Transporter Chief. I haven't seen 100% of ds9, so if I'm wrong, and he holds that title for a short time, please correct me.
I raised the same point a while back, he is an engineer and seems to serve as chief engineer of the Defiant but is technically DS9's operations officer.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 12:56 AM   #54
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Xhiandra wrote: View Post
At the other extreme of the spectrum, Geordi's technobabble seemed the most internally consistent: what's impossible in one episode isn't easily achieved 3 seasons later.
Time for the campaign slogan:

A vote for LaForge is a vote for consistent laws of physics!
I'll agree with this one, if just on the technobabble point. LaForge and by proxy the TNG writers used it how it was meant to be. Sparingly and never to the point where you're confusing the audience.

Voyager not only threw out entire paragraphs of Technobabble at a time, they made it major plot points.
Indeed. Technobabble is meant to serve the story, but in Voyager (and especially early Voyager), it often seemed to work the other way around.

But I have to stand up for LaForge as a character, as well.
I liked Geordi! I'm not sure why that is, but he seems to have that aura of friendliness to him.
I'm sure LeVar Burton is for no strange part in that, for instance there's one line in Descent (don't remember which part) where he tells Data he'll regret mutilating him... you can tell he really cares about how Data will feel.
Had it been any other character/actor on the table, it probably would've felt like a more self-serving plea to be released.

He's the guy you'd like to have a beer with, is what I'm trying to say.
Then again, that's pretty true of Scotty and O'Brien as well. I got nothing.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:41 AM   #55
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

He isn't. But DS9 doesn't have an engineering chief best I can tell, and O'Brien's job on the station seems the most equivalent to a starship's engineering chief out of all the main characters on the show. That's why I put him in the poll.

Whether he would ever be chief of engineering on a starship I don't know. Is there a requirement that the head of engineering must always be a commissioned officer? Can an NCO hold the position under any circumstance? How is it in the USN? (Most ST rules and guidelines in this area are modeled on USN ones)

Who is over engineering on the Defiant?
Old September 23 2012, 09:49 AM   #56
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The whole thing is confusing--Harry Kim is listed as the Chief Operations Officer on Voyager, which ran separately from engineering. The same with Data on TNG.

Obrien is the Chief Operations Officer, yet all he does is engineering.

He has to be a chief engineer of some sort, because he is the only officer giving orders in engineering when he is on the Defiant.

And yet he isn't called an engineer.

Because of all the techno babble, I think Geordi was the nerd's engineer, and Scotty was the Sci Fi's engineer.

One particular thing I like about Geordi was how we got to see him grow throughout his time on the Enterprise. Scotty didn't have that advantage.

Geordi is one of my top favorite characters, but Scotty is one of my top favorite engineers. No matter which way you flip it, Scotty would get the top award.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:09 AM   #57
MacLeod
Admiral

Maybe Starbases don't have a position of Chief Engineer, instead the role of Chief of Operations includes the role of Chief Engineer.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:11 AM   #58
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
It was also corroborated by all the times when he needed unrealistically less time than he reported to his superiors for completing a task.
Name one example.
Old September 23 2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Name one example.
That would be:
[Playful banter between two old friends, Kirk and Scotty.]
It was also the advice he gave to Geordi in 'Relics' - and he was shocked Geordi wasn't regularly inflating his timetables to make himself look good.

As for examples - watch TOS; you'll find plenty. I don't feel like going over TOS episodes just to entertain your butthurt.

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; September 23 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:26 AM   #60
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Name one example.
That would be:
[Playful banter between two old friends, Kirk and Scotty.]

As for examples - watch TOS; you'll find plenty. I don't feel like going over TOS episodes just to entertain your butthurt.
Thank you, I've seen every TOS episode many times over. But at least we've established that you have no examples.