Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 7 2012, 03:44 AM   #91
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Re: Last Resort was Awesome.

It's only the second episode. How much character development can occur in 84 minutes?
I'm really liking this show so far so I'm going to give it a chance.
Old October 7 2012, 05:01 AM   #92
degra
Fleet Captain

Well I've watched a lot of shows over my lifetime--the premise can be rocky and the writing weak at first but if the cast and characters arent ones I care about in the first ep or so it pretty much torpedoes the show for me and honestly beyond Andre/Chaplin the rest are bland as can be. Plus these limited premise type shows--based on their track records--never get better--believe me I've learned that lesson after sitting through the likes of post Season one Heroes, Fringe, Alcatraz, The Event, Surface, Flash Forward etc. I don't know why every new series that has come out in the last decade has to be a mini-series drawn out.

It might have been true of shows in the past like TNG where it had a rough start and improved but that simply doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

I've been revisiting earlier series since nothing on now is compelling and the one thing I liked was the way they would focus on the characters even if the storylines werent serialized or very good so that when they did become more sophisticated the characters were already well established and involving rather than the way they are treated nowadays as mere plot devices within some overly complicated epic that just spins their wheels.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 08:27 AM   #93
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I was considerably less entertained by this episode. The arrival of the Russians was a nice twist, but overall the episode felt incredibly short, as though it was just thirty minutes of set up that never delivered in a final brief burst of action.

There's something to be said for taking your time and building up your story, but in these crucial first episodes which increasingly serve to decide a shows ultimate fate, why would you hold back anything, most importantly the pace. You've got a specific amount of time to get your story across and less than that to hook an audience, so pack every minute with story.

I'm not saying it needs to be non stop guns blazing action, but more needs to be going on than what the second episode gave us. We should have seen more with the missing crew members already and there should definitely be some other characters in play native to the island other than the bar girl.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 02:57 PM   #94
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I like the fact that the gunfigts seemed fairly realistic. Like they did it on the Wire.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 06:17 PM   #95
propita
Rear Admiral

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
It's only the second episode. How much character development can occur in 84 minutes?
I'm really liking this show so far so I'm going to give it a chance.
If you were responding to my post, thinking I was criticizing, nope! I just think that, rightfully considering the show, the captain has to be well-cast and well-acted...and it is. Brougher's plays the role just perfectly.

I don't care how too much how realistic the overall premise is, I'm willing to run with what they have and see if it's good from that point on. Unless they were to get totally outrageous. I think that premises of interesting shows can be shifted to the real world, with modifications of course, for discussion of serious and personal morality. I believe this allows people to explore their own thoughts and know themselves better, such as where would THEY draw the line they will not cross.

I always thought that if a show seemed to go quickly, it was usually because it was well done and not dragging on, in other words, a good thing.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 06:37 PM   #96
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Unless they were to get totally outrageous.
Totally outrageous?

Showing an ubernasty us government that could pull of flase flag terror and kind of stuff birchers fear or just some cabals within it? I think safe to say we are already in that territory.

Or you mean having a ridiculous plot or jumping the shark?
Old October 7 2012, 06:48 PM   #97
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I admit I'm getting tired of there always being a conspiracy in every damn show. What would really make this show unique is if it's Chaplin who's wrong...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 06:58 PM   #98
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

What other conspiracy show are out there?

X-files, Burn Notice (* If i remember correctly there is nothing as sinister as in this one), something called 13 or something like that. I cannot think of anything else in which evil/sinister cabals can have such a huge impact on a US government similar to the real one.
Old October 7 2012, 07:37 PM   #99
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
If you were responding to my post, thinking I was criticizing, nope! I just think that, rightfully considering the show, the captain has to be well-cast and well-acted...and it is. Brougher's plays the role just perfectly.
No, I was responding to a couple of people who posted before you did. I was posting from my Playstation and multi quote doesn't always work right on this browser.
Old October 7 2012, 07:54 PM   #100
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
No, I was responding to a couple of people who posted before you did. I was posting from my Playstation and multi quote doesn't always work right on this browser.
I'm impressed you could get absolutely anything to work with the PS browser.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 08:04 PM   #101
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Yeah, it's a pain, especially without a keyboard. I really need to get my pc fixed.
Old October 8 2012, 04:41 AM   #102
degra
Fleet Captain

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
What other conspiracy show are out there?

X-files, Burn Notice (* If i remember correctly there is nothing as sinister as in this one), something called 13 or something like that. I cannot think of anything else in which evil/sinister cabals can have such a huge impact on a US government similar to the real one.
Flash Forward, Prison Break, X-Files, Jericho, Rubicon, The Firm to name a few.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:27 AM   #103
propita
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Unless they were to get totally outrageous.
Totally outrageous?

Showing an ubernasty us government that could pull of flase flag terror and kind of stuff birchers fear or just some cabals within it? I think safe to say we are already in that territory.

Or you mean having a ridiculous plot or jumping the shark?
The second one. The whole plot is (hopefully) outrageous, so Jumping the shark would just cause a "why did I watch this long" reaction.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 07:41 AM   #104
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Owrite there are more of them then i would think and there is probably more demand for them then ever considering how state institutions poll.
Old October 8 2012, 03:24 PM   #105
The Green Mushroom
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I admit I'm getting tired of there always being a conspiracy in every damn show. What would really make this show unique is if it's Chaplin who's wrong...

I'd love to that happen, in this show or any show.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote