Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2012, 02:06 PM   #46
grabthars hammer
Captain

Re: Last Resort was Awesome.

Haven't seen it but despite all the cons I'll probably check it out because of Andre Braugher; he could just sit there reading a phone directory for an hour and I'd find that more interesting than most other shows on TV.
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 03:01 PM   #47
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Anybody else thinks that Braugher's mannerisms are wery similar to to the Sisko?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:42 PM   #48
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

I like Avery Brooks' portrayal of Sisko, but let's just say he has much more of a flare for the dramatic, whereas Braugher is more understated and subtle yet still able to convey a lot of power and emotion regardless.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 11:52 PM   #49
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Braugher was pretty good on SVU last season (he had a recurring role as a defense attorney). I am not really familiar with H:LOTS though so I don't know what he was like there.
Old September 28 2012, 02:36 AM   #50
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The AV Club has a good interview with Shawn Ryan up.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:12 AM   #51
Scout101
Admiral

Thought it was decent. Looked about as realistic as you can really do, for a sub. Rooms were roughly right, although too big. TV problem, though, imagine it would film like shit in the tight spaces that are really there.

Couple other minor nitpicks (I work with subs for a living):

-They picked a number that belongs to an attack sub, and called it a boomer. For the story, it has to be a boomer, but 753 is the Albany, a LA-class sub. Look was right for a SSBN, just should have picked an imaginary number if they weren't going to intentionally pick an active one. Colorado was a fine pick, keeping with the state names for BNs. Anything 744 for 749 would have been smarter picks, as they immediately follow the SSBN numbers, and are unassigned. Starting with 750, they go back to attack boats, the 688-i class.

-They picked the Illinois as the attack sub used to shoot at them at the beginning. Probably a good call at the time, as again, name sounds appropriate, but not an active boat. Except that in the interim since they wrote/filmed it, that name has been assigned. It's going to be the 786, a Virginia class boat. (I work on those). Not their fault, just bad luck. Not too bad, I guess, as the show will be over one way or the other long before it becomes an active submarine, just coincidence.

-As mentioned, Cobb isn't the guy's name. Chief of the Boat, COB. The LT said it all out the first time she addressed him, and then just called him COB after that.

Other than that, thought it was pretty good, detail-wise. Nothing's going to be perfect (oddly, one of the Stargate tv movies (continuum?) was about as close as I've seen) but the look was about right for most of the stuff in/around the boat. Conceits to tv, but equipment mostly looked right.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33

Last edited by Scout101; September 28 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 05:02 AM   #52
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Watched it tonight. Not bad. I at least want to see a few more episodes of this. I'm not sure this is a plot that can be sustained for very long, but I'm willing to give it a go.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 06:14 AM   #53
SG-17
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

No big deal, though, right? It's not like 200-miles off of Washington DC is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world or anything. It's not like it's going to be pouring radioactive rain on the East Coast or irradiate the fish supply. It's not like whales travel through there. The guy should have gotten an honorary "Fuck the Whales" t-shirt to wear at his murder trial for the hundreds or thousands of recreational boaters, fishermen, and cargo ship sailors he probably killed and all the people on the East Coast he's giving cancer to for the next couple of decades.
The trade winds would carry any fallout from a 200 mile offshore underwater detonation over the Atlantic and it is very unlikely that any radioactive rain would fall on land. Certainly none on the East Coast of the United States.

The Trident II can carry 1.9 megatons of Mark V MIRV warheads or 800 kiltons of Mark IV MIRV warheads. Relatively small.

I really enjoyed this pilot. It is the first non-science fiction network show I've decided to watch since House.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 09:12 AM   #54
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

SG what is your avatar?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:29 PM   #55
SG-17
Commodore

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
SG what is your avatar?

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:38 PM   #56
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Pardon my interruption.

I just saw the first episode of RESORT and was pretty impressed. But in the back of my head I kept wishing Robert Patrick would've gone T-1000 on the Grace lady who kept giving him grief. Old roles are hard to shake...

Just a teeny little finger blade or something.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:57 PM   #57
E-DUB
Captain

I liked it, a lot. Lot of directions they can go. Internal dissent amongst the crewmember who didn't sign up for this, the woman whose father is the Admiral, the hot weapons lady, the conspiracy (whatever that is). I'm limited in how much TV I can watch, so I'm probably dumping Revolution and going with this.

Also let me be the first to point out that there was a book once with a similar concept. "Preempt" by John Vorhies, published in the late sixties or early seventies.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 04:02 PM   #58
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I should not be asking here, but does Seaquest has on outstanding season worth watching?

Are there any aliiens on Seaquest?
Yes there are aliens. That's when it when it became unwatchable

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/STAR-TREK-Absolution/386331754783277?fref=ts[/URL]
Solarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 06:20 PM   #59
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Premiere rating sucked. Don't get too attached.

On ABC, the series premiere of Last Resort earned a 2.2 adults 18-49 rating.
ABC was taking a big risk with a male-skewing military series on a female-skewing network in a timeslot that is very competitive for the male demo. I bet they do much better with 666 Park Ave. Better timeslot, better demo match.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 06:27 PM   #60
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It would have been even harder if they only ran it during the daytime weekdays, where all shows are EXPECTED to be crap.

Of course, there were at least three female crewmembers on the submarine. They are allowed to serve on subs now, but how many actually do in reality?
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote