Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 19 2012, 03:37 PM   #16
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: Another reason I hate the TSA.

^ I haven't personally done it, but I have seen others using those e-tickets, and there didn't seem to be any problems.
Old September 19 2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Where human beings are concerned, there will always be problems. Somebody somewhere manages to get into a position where they will abuse their authority. When you consider the millions of people who pass through TSA screenings, the number of reported incidents is significantly low. Another factor is airports. Some TSA departments may have weaker management at some locations, resulting in some personnel who may be less efficient and proper than others. But again, it has to be a minority of locations due to the number of people who travel. If a majority of TSA departments harassed passengers, there would be a far greater outcry.
Old September 19 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I travel >100k miles each year for business and have virtually zero difficulty with TSA. Is it a nuisance, yes, compared to before 9/11, but their overal professionalism and job focus is comparable to any other business I experience. You do realize that the list the OP posted is pure satire, right?

Know the rules, be prepared (shoes, laptop, empty bottle, etc.) and go through with a sense of humor and WHOOSH, you're on the other side and on to the airplane. All this anti-government, anti-TSA screeching is in the same league as birtherism. Most of it comes from people who don't even fly.
Please don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone else's.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:01 AM   #19
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
No assumption at all. I'm also keenly aware of what is going on around me and in my hundreds of TSA passages, I've only encountered one over-zealous agent who made me give up a can of shaving cream that was a fraction over the 3.4 limit. While I'm going through, I see everything from fellow travel pros to first-time flyers and the TSA staff is 99.9% patient and understanding. Unless you are reeking hostility, I doubt if you'll ever have a problem.
Old September 20 2012, 08:21 AM   #20
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

As the fairly-soon-to-be-husband of a TSA middle-manager I am officially obligated to protest this thread in the name of my government. Here goes.

Sorry if any children had to witness that.
The Boy Who Cried Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...141712196.html
You can't take bottled water breast milk on a plane,or even a G.I.Joe with a plastic 1 inch gun,but this didn'r trigger the alarm.

WTF
Old September 29 2012, 03:23 PM   #22
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I've been busted for jelly one time as it was over the limit. I picked up something local on the way to the airport and threw it in my carry on bag in a hurry. I've also been busted for nail clippers.

I can sorta see the jelly, because you can think ok maybe I hid something explosive in there, but nail clippers? C'mon. Were they really worried I was going to give the captain a pedicure? I know they err on the side of caution, and are just following the rules, but still.

As for the TSA folks themselves, I've had some that would shoot the breeze with me while checking my ID or going through my bag, and others that would treat me like an international warlord who rapes puppies on the side. Like any industry, you have the gregarious ones, the quiet ones, and the assholes.

People that work at airports get treated pretty harsh regardless. Between getting to the airport, parking, getting through security, hoping your plane leaves on time, sitting in a stuffy tin can for several hours, hoping you make your connection, hoping your luggage shows up, getting your rental car sorted out, and then going to your destination, it's stressful, and I fly several times a year. IT tends to make people pretty snippy.

The people in the restaurants get draw you ire because you are either in a rush to make a flight and why is it taking so long, or you have a 3 hour layover and are bored to tears. The TSA is mostly loathed. And I feel bad for the poor gate agent who has an angry mob of 100 people at her desk after she announces the 8 PM flight to Detroit is cancelled due to mechanical problems and that's the last flight there tonight but they can put you up in Podunk for the night with none of your luggage because it's already on the plane.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote