Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 12 2012, 04:19 AM   #1
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

insect babies never mentioned

Ive finally got around to watching Enterprise thanks to Amazon Prime. Besides all the problems that I'm sure this forum has already hashed to death I'd just like to observe the in season three the crew missed a big opportunity. The captain never mentioned to the xindi that Enterprise repaired the creche on the insect ship. I suppose it would have messed up the plot line to have the insects like the humans but I think it could have worked with just the reptiles as antagonists. After all, the reptiles just shot down the insect ship anyway so they might as well have not been there.

Apologies if this has already been gone over.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:40 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: insect babies never mentioned

Archer was way too embarrassed to bring up his unfortunate delusion of being the insect mommy, especially to the enemy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
kythe
Commander

I just mentioned this earlier today in a different thread.

I think Archer missed the boat on this one entirely. His actions were portrayed as having been influenced by his contact with the goo on the eggs. This compromised his judgment. But the thing is, he was right.

It was a perfect opportunity to befriend the insectoids and demonstrate to them that Humans were not their enemy. But instead of pointing out that they were caring for the Xindi young, Reed blew up the incoming Xindi ship. And you're right, he didn't even bring up his care of the insectoid offspring later in his own defense. They just kept acting like that shouldn't have happened, even though it showed compassion and mercy on their part.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Robert D. Robot
Captain

kythe wrote: View Post
I just mentioned this earlier today in a different thread.

I think Archer missed the boat on this one entirely. His actions were portrayed as having been influenced by his contact with the goo on the eggs. This compromised his judgment. But the thing is, he was right.

It was a perfect opportunity to befriend the insectoids and demonstrate to them that Humans were not their enemy. But instead of pointing out that they were caring for the Xindi young, Reed blew up the incoming Xindi ship. And you're right, he didn't even bring up his care of the insectoid offspring later in his own defense. They just kept acting like that shouldn't have happened, even though it showed compassion and mercy on their part.
I don't recall how much we learned about the insectoid society. Although I think that Archer's actions might have had the "desired" conciliatory effect in a war between humans, I am wondering if the insectoids may be wired so differently from humans that compassion would be viewed as a weakness in an enemy, and perhaps as even more of a reason to despise and destroy an inferior, flawed species!?....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Compared to some of the other missed opportunities and threads left dangling, most, but not all, due to the early cancellation, this one seems pretty insignificant.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote