RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 443
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 10 2012, 09:18 PM   #16
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: Original Opening of Where No Man...

There aren't all that many differences between the aired and unaired, but for some reason, I really prefer the original cut. It also is great because both versions fit just as well into the series (aside from the theme music). No unseen endings to keep it from fitting comfortably within the continuity.

The fight scene isn't actually "extended." The music and sound effects are identical, the fight is the same length. It just has two shots of Kirk and Gary using their knees as weapons (something the network found too brutal) which were covered over by two shots of Dehner on the ground.

Funny bit about the opening narration: Kirk says they were involvedin "space law regulation." The first time I heard it, I thought he said "space slaw regulation." Making sure it is fresh with your sandwich....
Old September 10 2012, 09:43 PM   #17
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Early on, they seem to go around checking up on colonies/outposts more, right? That's not the same as space aw regulation, I know.

Mitchell lusting openly after women in the corridor looks really "unprofessional" nowadays.
Old September 11 2012, 01:44 AM   #18
gomtuu20
Commander

Mitchell lusting openly after women in the corridor looks really "unprofessional" nowadays.[/QUOTE]
Not in the 60's. Come to think of it, we saw a little bit of this in young Kirk in JJ's movie.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:44 AM   #19
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Mitchell lusting openly after women in the corridor looks really "unprofessional" nowadays.
Hey, she was digging it. She invited me to a "poetry reading" in her quarters.
Old September 11 2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post

Funny bit about the opening narration: Kirk says they were involvedin "space law regulation." The first time I heard it, I thought he said "space slaw regulation." Making sure it is fresh with your sandwich....

Maybe it was intended to be "spay/slaw regulation," meaning they inspected veterinarians AND greengrocers!
Doug Otte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:21 PM   #21
UFO
Captain

I quite like that opening but it does imply the new role of the Enterprise is to explore beyond our galaxy, which I don't think really happens.

The other thing, which I'm sure has been commented on, is that someone had actually been there before! Reminds me of an advert for insurance where they used that "Ain't no one gonna break my stride" song, only to have everyone stop walking half way through, then start again! Maybe it's ironic humour.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

UFO wrote: View Post
I quite like that opening but it does imply the new role of the Enterprise is to explore beyond our galaxy, which I don't think really happens.
Just as well, since there's not much out there that's reachable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:22 AM   #23
UFO
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Just as well, since there's not much out there that's reachable.
A missed opportunity for ST to find dark matter perhaps?

But of course at that point the show could have been about exploring other galaxies using a new hyperdrive. However in hindsight the opening doesn't fit what they actually had in mind.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote