Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 12 2013, 03:11 PM   #226
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Hopefully people will be aware of this, but there is now an official sequel campaign

People will argue it won't do any good, but hey if you don't sign it there definitely won't be a sequel...and a small chance is better than no chance at all...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 06:20 PM   #227
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

This was a great movie, definately better than the Stallone version. Karl Urban's Judge dredd was awesome, and the rookie was cool, too. The action was done very well, and it was appropiately brutal. I also liked the world in this movie better than Judge dredd. In JD, it was bascially all on a big set and it just seemed like an overcrowded, dirty and kind of generic future world. In Dredd, the world looks more familiar, and while it definately has seedy sections it was done well and it just seems more grounded in reality to me. No robots or hovercycles, but it still felt like the future, just a less ridiculous one. The story was entertaining from beginning to end. Overall, this was just a great action movie. It sucks that, from what I've read, its not getting a sequel. It definately deserves one.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:07 PM   #228
davejames
Vice Admiral

I finally saw the Stallone version for the first time, and while I thought it started out really well (the introduction of the city, the old-school FX, and Dredd's badass entrance seemed spot-on to me), it wasn't long before it turned into just a generic 90s action movie.

Which is too bad, because Stallone just seems like the perfect guy to play Dredd.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:19 PM   #229
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Does Mega-City One look anything like the comic or Stallone versions?
Slightly, there's no flying cars, for one thing, and not too much buildings aside from the apartment complex where the movie's set, but it's still all Judge Dredd, and that's what counts. Plus, Urban as Dredd keeps his helmet on thorough the whole fracking movie!!!
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 02:57 AM   #230
shivkala
Rear Admiral

This was the only movie in recent memory that I wanted more the instant it was done. It kept my attention the whole time, didn't waste time with ridiculous subplots, and reminded me of the original Die Hard for all the right reasons.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 01:58 PM   #231
The Wormhole
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I finally saw the Stallone version for the first time, and while I thought it started out really well (the introduction of the city, the old-school FX, and Dredd's badass entrance seemed spot-on to me), it wasn't long before it turned into just a generic 90s action movie.
To be honest, I kind of prefer generic 90s action movies over generic action movies of today. I don't know, they just seemed to have more soul. So that aspect of Stallone's Judge Dredd doesn't really bother me. Although I do think Urban's Dredd is the better movie, the Stallone movie is better than most people give it credit for.
Old August 15 2013, 02:56 PM   #232
Starkers
Admiral

the Stallone film definitely started well but tailed off. I'd agree it isn't as terrible as it's made out to be.

I think if you took 80% of Dredd and 20% of Judge Dredd you'd have the ultimate JD film.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 04:48 PM   #233
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the remake probably toned the designs down just a little too much. It could have used some of the crazy, over the top flair of the Stallone movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 06:26 PM   #234
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Hopefully people will be aware of this, but there is now an official sequel campaign

People will argue it won't do any good, but hey if you don't sign it there definitely won't be a sequel...and a small chance is better than no chance at all...
I don't care what good it will or won't do, I signed it anyway!

IMO, the first one was probably the best Die Hard-ish action movie I've seen since the original Die Hard and it's a shame (though not a surprise) that it didn't do well at the box office.

I honestly (perhaps foolishly?) believe that this is going to be one of those things that'll build a loyal following on home video and at some point a few years down the road it'll build enough momentum to make the suits take notice.

Starkers wrote: View Post
the Stallone film definitely started well but tailed off. I'd agree it isn't as terrible as it's made out to be.

I think if you took 80% of Dredd and 20% of Judge Dredd you'd have the ultimate JD film.
I like to imagine that all that stuff is there but just out of sight. For starters, saying Mega City One is a big place is like saying swimming *up* Niagara Falls can be a bit of a challenge, so there's plenty of room for all kinds of things. In my mind the sector Peach Trees bloc was in was the Meg's equivalent of a slum neighborhood. In which case all the *really* huge blocs, skedways, jetcars and the like are up over what used to be New York/Philadelphia way.

Last edited by Reverend; August 15 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 09:18 PM   #235
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Too much Rob Schneider in the 90's version for me, especially as the film enters the second half. The plot device about the foe(whose name I forget) being cloned from Dredd works and they even take steps to allow you see it when they are side by side.
The arbitrary female lead fight was a bit silly upon re-watch when i saw it recently.

Would be very pleased if, despite the returns on the Urban version, we are able to get another big screen theatrical follow-up to this DREDD film.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 03:13 PM   #236
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Dredd is now on Netflix streaming!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old August 24 2013, 03:28 PM   #237
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
Which one?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:18 PM   #238
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Probably the one that's called 'Dredd'
Ethros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:42 PM   #239
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Funnily enough, I remember a review at the time saying something along the lines of 'have we gone back to 1983?', citing the Blade Runner-ish look of Mega City 1 and the Return of the Jedi-style flying bikes!
Old August 24 2013, 08:01 PM   #240
shivkala
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
Which one?
The 2012 Dredd with Karl Urban. Why is there another movie based on Judge Dredd?