New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 9 2012, 04:16 AM   #31
Lord Garth
Captain

Re: Title Possibly Revealed?

Star Trek Into Darkness is a stupid title.

At least one random poster is going to want to quote the above, twist it into something else, and read into it what's not there. So let me cut them off at the pass.

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead is a stupid title. It also happens to be one of my favorite movies.

I could think Star Trek Into Darkness is the best Trek movie ever made, the best sci-fi movie ever made, and the best movie in general ever made -- I won't but let's say I did for the sake of argument -- but I'll still think it's a stupid title.

Someone, somewhere, recommended Trek Into Darkness. That would've been better.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 05:36 AM   #32
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Kegg wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect.
It's a show called Star Trek.

About a space station.

It's pretty much the most obvious example in the various colon titles where the 'Star Trek' bit was just a franchise signifier.

Not that I'm wild about the actual title either. Deep Space what, exactly? I suppose calling the show Starbase Nine just sounded lame or whatever.
Well, BABYLON 5 was already taken ... kidding, kidding. Not really trying to dredge up that old argument.

As for the new title, I kinda like it. As I said in another thread, I'd have preferred a title without STAR TREK in it. Something akin to THE DARK KNIGHT or THE MAN OF STEEL. Maybe, WHERE NO MAN ... or BOLDLY GO or THE FINAL FRONTIER.
Old September 9 2012, 07:39 AM   #33
Devon
Fleet Captain

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.
They didn't. Sources around them did though. Paramount has already purchased domain names such as www.startrekintodarkness.com
Old September 9 2012, 08:09 AM   #34
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm warming to this name but I might even love it if they gave us a colon.

Of course you don't have colons in domain names SO..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 08:14 AM   #35
Prologic9
Lieutenant Commander

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead is a stupid title. It also happens to be one of my favorite movies.
What? That's a fantastic title. It's original, memorable, fits the movie to a tee, and all while conveying far more about its subject than the vast majority of titles manage to do.

Many (good)titles can be taken different ways, but there's no mistaking the snarky humor found in "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead," and most people will instantly have a vague notion of kids disobeying their parents while away.

If you want good titles to compare to, you can start right here Mister.
Prologic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 08:21 AM   #36
Lord Garth
Captain

Point taken.

Even so, the essence of my point still stands.

I just thought I'd throw it out there because I remember how chest-thumpy this forum used to be a few years ago. And I always maintained that that type of environment drove away a lot more traffic than it brought in. Even if the traffic was good, I think it could've been even higher if people didn't have to worry about all the constant headaches and harassment. In my view, it's best not to take a chance and make sure I have the bases covered.

If things have changed around here since then, and we don't always have to have sheilds up, then that's great.

Last edited by Lord Garth; September 9 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:30 AM   #37
raffie
Commander

Though I don't think this title is very original or catching, I can't say I'm too bothered with it, honestly, I'm just a little worried about seeing Star Trek go the way of the dumbed-down blockbuster, so catchy title or not, I hope it will be a good story and a movie that I can enjoy watching.
raffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:55 AM   #38
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
While it's just a rumor, this is off Coming Soon:
Tomorrow, September 8th, marks the 46th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but ComingSoon.net is celebrating a little early with a juicy rumor to share. We've been been told that the 2013 J.J. Abrams sequel has chosen a title and will hit theaters as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Although we have not yet been able to officially confirm said title, the domain names www.startrekintodarkness.com and www.startrekintodarknessmovie were both registered yesterday through Markmonitor, an anonymous domain registry service that just so happens to have been utilized by Paramount Pictures for recent URLs like their official G.I. Joe: Retaliation site.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94526

If it's legit, I like it. It would also seem to fit with the rumors of
Or it could be about..

I'm not blown away by the title. It seems a bit to punny, it kinda reminds me of the cutesyness of "you're all astronauts on some kind of star trek". It works better with a colon, and it won't reflect the quality of the movie. It's good to have some news at any rate.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 01:40 PM   #39
Eddie Roth
Commodore

It seems many of you still haven't understood the point made many times by the writers that the whole problem with the colon thing was that it indicated (as in many other franchises too) that this is "Star Trek: Yet Another One". How many times have we seen something like "Underworld: Apocalypse" or "Resident Evil: Retribution" (I'm making these up, because they're all so interchangeable)?

Problem with Trek (vis-a-vis the Batman/Dark Knight title issue) is that Trek has no instantly memorable alternate moniker that hasn't been used: Enterprise was an (unpopular) TV show. The Final Frontier was an (unpopular) film. And the other ideas floating around, To Boldly Go? Generic. Where No Man Has Gone Before? Maybe, but not if the movie does indeed feature Gary Mitchell, don't you think?

Star Trek Into Darkness I like as a middle ground. Somewhat forced, yes. But since trek is a rough synonym of journey and there is such an expression as "journey into darkness", why not?
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 04:44 PM   #40
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Whats the betting an eclipse will feature heavily in the posters/logos etc?
Old September 9 2012, 05:07 PM   #41
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Devon wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.
They didn't. Sources around them did though. Paramount has already purchased domain names such as www.startrekintodarkness.com
Well I think I remember certain movies giving a different URL to the sites but the movies themselves had a different title. Now I'm not sure, but I think I can recall such an occurrence.

And think about it, that would make sense, give the people a little somethin-somethin and they'll eat it up, never mind that they'll go to Hell and back with it, just give them that.

If it is indeed the title, well I'm honestly indifferent about it but I wonder how they'll use it.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 08:24 PM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome

I kinda like it! I'm not sure the title is there to sound "dark and gritty," though. I'm hoping maybe it's more an allusion to trekking into the unknown. I mean, deep space is probably pretty dark.
Old September 10 2012, 01:52 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Whats the betting an eclipse will feature heavily in the posters/logos etc?
I like that idea!

It will look nicely classy on a t-shirt.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 04:49 PM   #44
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

2 minutes in photoshop later...
Old September 10 2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Make it black and white and change the font to the way the main titles looked in XI.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote