Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 8 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Your favorite Xindi race?

Reptilians. If you're gonna steal evil alien designs, might as well steal from Galaxy Quest.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
lurok
Commodore

Aquatics. They're so darned zen. You can imagine even when their giant ship got blown up, they just went: "Oh dear".
Old September 9 2012, 04:01 PM   #18
F. King Daniel
Admiral

My problem with the Aquatics is: How did they ever get so advanced? Electricity and water don't mix.
Old September 9 2012, 05:48 PM   #19
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I liked the insectoids and reptilians the best. I thought the CGI for the insectoids was pretty well done as was the makeup for the reptilians.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm very fond of the Xindi; all of them, really. I liked the strange nobility represented in the Xindi Council; how these five races clearly can't stand each other (well, Arboreal/Primate and Reptilian/Insectoid seemed friendly enough, but beyond that...) and yet they remained truly committed to the idea of the Xindi as a unified people. After the homeworld was lost they could have fragmented, but they built the council instead. And throughout Season Three, there was a sense that they were trying to make it work. They're like a five-way racial feud sitting around pretending to be an alliance, and they no doubt have a regularly changing "[...] days without civil war" sign on the council door, but despite all this they're still in it together. That undercurrent of loyalty was definitely their most striking feature, and did a lot to convince me that they indeed had potential to one day join the Federation. And that, when the Xindi-Primate councillor said he thought the Reptilians would come back to the council eventually, he was right.

I think the Arboreals and Aquatics were my favourites; the slower-paced, more contemplative Xindi. Perhaps because Xindi were introduced as a military threat, and it was a good move to have two of the races seem far removed from the Proud Warrior Race trope; reinforcing the sense that it's a complicated situation, not just "aggressive race attacks".

It's a shame we never learnt very much about Xindi culture(s). From what we did get, the most interesting bits relate to how the Xindi races view one another. There's a good bit in one of the novelizations where a Primate has a string of racist observations: "The Reptilians thought with their brainstems, the Insectoids didn't think at all, and the Arboreals...they thought, all right, they thought about napping upside-down in trees".

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; September 9 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 08:54 PM   #21
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

The insectoids. They're so... different from anything that you usually see in ST.

They also break the typecasting of insectoid aliens in sci-fi by being actual normal individual sentients. About 90% of the time when insectoid aliens turn up in sci-fi, they are depicted as a hive society, with big dumb drones by the bajillion, with a central controlling overmind / queen type thing that has more intelligence to it. It gets tired after a while.
Old September 9 2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Mr_Homn
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I had AOTC flashbacks with those.

The whole xindi thing totally reminded me way too much of AOTC, in a bad way. The room even had a very similar set design and color scheme. It was what, 1 or 2 years later? It made me get a very lame vibe from all of season 3. If you're going to rip off star wars, why choose the worst one?

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 9 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:56 PM   #23
teacock
Admiral

Yeah the first thing I said was "geonosis" when I saw that council room. But I got over it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:00 PM   #24
NrobbieC
Commander

Oh lord I hadn't thought of that. I'd blotted Star Wars (especially AotC) from memory.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:15 PM   #25
teacock
Admiral

I adore AOTC

Wait.. is Gaith in this thread?

:: ducks ::

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:23 PM   #26
Mr_Homn
Captain

Yeah the first thing I said was "geonosis" when I saw that council room. But I got over it.
I might have gotten over it if the rest of the season wasn't so mediocre.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 10 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:58 PM   #27
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I adore AOTC

Wait.. is Gaith in this thread?

:: ducks ::
It's certainly the least obnoxious of the PT, in that it at least tries to be fun. Oh, and this.
Old September 10 2012, 12:24 AM   #28
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

AOTC is far and away the worst of the PT, but that's a subject for a different thread.

I agree that the Council chamber was kind of reminiscent of Geonosis. I actually think it was a mistake to show the Council so early in the season, to be honest.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 12:34 AM   #29
Mr_Homn
Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
AOTC is far and away the worst of the PT, but that's a subject for a different thread.
I agree, but it's kind of like deciding which is the nicest smelling piece of dogshit.
Old September 10 2012, 02:23 AM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I agree that the Council chamber was kind of reminiscent of Geonosis. I actually think it was a mistake to show the Council so early in the season, to be honest.
Richard Whettestone covered that:
No, no. Build Up the Suspense!

Now usually I would say here that showing all five or so Xindi species in the first five seconds of the show would be kinda stupid, as it doesn't exactly build up the suspense. But the fact is that B&B are so desperate to attract viewers' attention and that they have to SHOW to viewers that they are punching up the show, that I didn't have a problem showing all of them so soon.