Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10 2012, 01:43 AM   #61
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

You could build a hut out of all the straw men in here.
Old September 10 2012, 01:51 AM   #62
teacock
Admiral

One tiny romance and suddenly it's "pandering".

Now if you want to pander, get Kirk and Spock to almost kiss. That would be some glorious pander.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:05 AM   #63
Shanndee
Commodore

I really like the relationship. I think it adds complexity to both characters, and it sets a ground work for future character development.

Most people have to find balance in their lives. They have to find a way to work efficiently with people they don't necessarily like, they have friendships, they have romantic relationships. They also have to find a way to make all of these things work together.

I agree with this:

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I was impressed by the mature and understanding way Uhura dealt with Spock during the turbolift scene, right after his mom died. She didn't get all mushy and insist that he react emotionally like a human would. She respected his need to try to hang onto to his Vulcan composure and simply asked him what he needed at that time . . . .
So I fail to see how two people trying to find their way towards a mature work/relationship balance is "pandering" to anyone when the majority of people do this every day.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:20 AM   #64
teacock
Admiral

I also so enjoyed how the lift scene was a shock but then you realized it was all there in what went before. Made the rewatch so enjoyable. Very well done.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 10 2012, 02:27 AM   #65
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Okay, so what makes Spock/Uhura "pandering" as opposed to the romantic subplots in umpteen other Trek movies and episodes?

Was all the romantic angst between Decker and Ilia pandering? What about Kirk flirting with Gillian Armstrong?

Is it just that involves Spock and Uhura this time around?
Old September 10 2012, 03:08 AM   #66
Mr_Homn
Captain

Okay, so what makes Spock/Uhura "pandering" as opposed to the romantic subplots in umpteen other Trek movies and episodes?

Was all the romantic angst between Decker and Ilia pandering? What about Kirk flirting with Gillian Armstrong?

Is it just that involves Spock and Uhura this time around?
I didn't say anything about those other movies. I don't understand the logic that if I say something's bad about this movie, now it's my responsibility to defend all the other movies.

It's my opinion that it was only there to get teenage girls interested. Taking two hugely popular characters and shoe-horning in an unprofessional and unethical (teacher student) relationship complete with hot wet kisses in the middle of an important mission. It was eye-rollingly dumb and corny in my opinion. I don't feel like getting into an argument with you over it.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 10 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 03:17 AM   #67
teacock
Admiral

I thought the kisses were rather chaste myself.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 10 2012, 03:18 AM   #68
Mr_Homn
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I thought the kisses were rather chaste myself.

Yeah well it was pretty hot and wet by vulcan standards.
Old September 10 2012, 03:33 AM   #69
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And then, of course, there's the whole question of what's wrong with trying to attract teenage girls? Isn't that what Chekov was for? And wasn't Spock's sex appeal responsible for bringing a huge influx of female viewers into fandom in the first place? Just like all those curvy guest-stars in the William Theiss costumes were intended to attract teenage boys and their fathers?

I'm not sure when we decided that Trek was supposed to be above that sort of thing. Lord knows Roddenberry wasn't!

It's funny. Just this week I got a piece of fan mail that (politely) objected to the fact that Kirk was fooling around with a sexy female stowaway in one of my books. The reader conceded that this sort of thing went on in the original show, but thought that it didn't belong in a modern-day STAR TREK book. And I've occasionally run into other fans who maintained that sex and romance had no place in Trek. I admit this baffles me.

People don't have hormones in the 23rd century?
Old September 10 2012, 03:40 AM   #70
The Keeper
Commodore

NUhura should been wearing a Brass-bra!

I mean, real cotton? NOT CANON1!

Check out hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 05:38 AM   #71
teacock
Admiral

And then, of course, there's the whole question of what's wrong with trying to attract teenage girls? Isn't that what Chekov was for?
Did it work? When I was a teenager I only had eyes for Kirk.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 10 2012, 07:21 AM   #72
Naira
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the relationship but that was mainly because I enjoyed the new Spock character.
Old September 10 2012, 07:31 AM   #73
teacock
Admiral

Naira wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the relationship but that was mainly because I enjoyed the new Spock character.
You know that was it for me too.. Uhura is nice and all but I'm not invested in the character. NuSpock blew me away. He was immediately in my top five ever characters.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 10 2012, 10:59 AM   #74
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The reader conceded that this sort of thing went on in the original show, but thought that it didn't belong in a modern-day STAR TREK book. And I've occasionally run into other fans who maintained that sex and romance had no place in Trek. I admit this baffles me.

People don't have hormones in the 23rd century?
This reminds me of a rather passionate and possibly offensive parody/rant I once read in a magazine by a VERY disgruntled fan upon seeing The Next Generation for the first time in '87. He postulated that the crew must recieve doses of a new drug, "anabolic estrogen" which builds muscle mass but unlike anabolic steroids, arrests any hostility and anger. The crew are left unable to engage in anything more than platonic relationships, which has led to such a population decline in the Federation that Starfleet Academy now accepts a single applicant per year (no doubt in reference to "Coming of Age")

Umm....
Old September 10 2012, 11:54 AM   #75
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And by the way, you need to update your appearances on your website. 2011 has come and past. Lyla is beautiful. She looks really pretty and girly. I could tell she was a she before reading the name. And of course the cats look nice too. Forgive my poking around, but you have the link there in your signature, and I just clicked.
Hey, I put that link there so people will poke around!

And, yeah, I seriously need to update that website. It's missing the Dark Knight Rises book, the upcoming Leverage book, the next Star Trek book, etc. Plus, sad to say, two of those cats are no longer with us . . . although I can't bring myself to delete their photos yet.

And that's a really old photo of Lyla, too, although I'm probably never going to change it. That's such a great photo of her!

As soon as I get out from beneath some pressing deadlines, I'll take an evening off to update it, I promise!
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pets, I know that can be very hard. It's nice that you still have their pictures up. And I wouldn't take down that photo of Lyla either. It's beautiful. I look forward to your updates. Do you have any short stories, or something like that? I like to take baby-steps in getting used to an author.

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
I am not shipper fan enough to go total gusher and say I "love" them together. I don't want Star Trek Into Twilight...
Hey, you sure that wouldn't be hot?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
It came across as lame pandering to female teenagers to me.
Yep, because everybody knows that only girls are interested in love and romance in movies. Real Men™ do not need any of that shit. We only like punches and guns.

Come on.
Well, I recall being told that I wasn't a "TRUE FAN™" on another site because I like S/U. I was told in so many words that I needed to watch all seasons of TOS before I could have an opinion about the movie I did watch that is in a separate timeline. And even then, if I still liked S/U, my opinion would be WRONG. Pretty amazing.

I'm a fan of what I like, but apparently there is a set of qualifications involved if one is to be considered a TRUE FAN™, of what kind, I'm not sure. I guess they were talking about Star Trek in general.

"Lame pandering" almost seems kind in comparison. I am very happy that this thread has been so nice so far.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote