Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17 2013, 05:34 AM   #316
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

^You missed the flirtation between Spock and Uhura in the early TOS episodes, I take it? Sex in the movie? There was sex? Guess I missed those scenes. Even Kirk didn't have sex, Uhura interrupted him.Do you think every time two people kiss or show affection they are having sex?

Why would anyone think Uhura's sexual prowess got her anywhere? The movie is quite clear she's more than qualified for her position.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:41 AM   #317
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
It felt rather forced. It mostly came out of nowhere and had no reason to be in the movie, and it had no effect on the story or characters. It's as though J.J. Abrams and his team of writers simply wanted some kind of romantic subplot so they hitched two random characters together, even if it never really went anywhere and wasn't appropriate in the first place <snip>
"[W]asn't appropriate in the first place"? How so?

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
But then I suppose many viewers just want to see a hot woman with boobs making out on screen with a man, so it works for them.
Finishing with a cheap shot - let's leave that out next time, shall we?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:20 AM   #318
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Clancy_s wrote: View Post
seven14 wrote: View Post
Once I knew the interactions were there it helped me appreciate them the 2nd time around---I didn't cross my eyes when I saw Spock run to Uhura and stand there like a stiff because I knew now they really are holding hands under the camera range or better seen, as you say, from a different angle.
You might be interested in this YT interview - it's Zach and Chris but at the end the interviewer asks Zach about staying in character for Spock when doing romantic scenes.
Thank you Clancy_s I must admit that I do still think the direction was off on this movie as regards Zach's Spock to Uhura....I simply feel the 1st movie made moves so far ahead (with the Spock and Uhura relationship) and in this movie "something" was tamped down and even with all these pretty gifs of Spock and Uhura touching hands or standing near one another (which I am very appreciative of) Spock still remains a bit off to me.

I will just have to deal with my feelings on this and hope for the better in the 3rd installment. I have a more better and broader understanding that there is more there that I couldn't see in the movie and that I now know exist in the comics and the novel so I am positive over all...more so than I was when I first posted after seeing the movie only once.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:26 AM   #319
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

teacake wrote: View Post
T'Pring is not going to want his half breed DNA. They don't need their breeding program diluted with humans. She didn't want him in Amok Time when this wasn't even an issue on a global scale as it is now. I'd be surprised if the Vulcan Powers That Be would even allow this to proceed.
This is a new time-line--we don't know what this T'Pring will want. The Vulcan planet has been obilterated...billions of vulcans gone....New Vulcan has a small colony...she as well as the elders may be more open to inter-mixing (word? ) as they are a very logical bunch. Spock wouldn't be ideal if she had an entire planet to choose from but in this new situation ....he's not a bad choice by a very long mile

She didn't want him in Amok Time...but this is not TOS ....so who knows except the next writer

<<<Upon re-reading this sounds a bit snarky---but it's not meant to be. I don't want to change it though because hopefully my meaning is plain and direct and I prefer that>>>
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:51 PM   #320
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Do you think every time two people kiss or show affection they are having sex?
Yeah.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:48 AM   #321
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Well, someone just sent me this link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/148562544/...rek-22-Preview

It looks like I won't be watching the next movie, but I will still advocate for equality. Somebody on another thread called asking that they had dealt with Spock's PTSD in a realistic way in STID a "soap opera." Well, let me tell you, I don't think that could touch this in the soapy department. At least that would have been good drama and a decent follow up to the '09 film. I wouldn't be surprised if the next comic has Uhura and T'Pring mudwrestling in bikinis over Spock, with hair pulling and all...

My understanding of bonding is not that it is to the death. I think they confused that with how you can get over Pon Far. I was told that to get over it that a Vulcan needs to copulate or fight to the death. In other words, instead of getting "separated," Spock could have gotten a divorce. Oh well...
---

Anyway, to pretty up the thread, here's a nice Zoe and Zach pic:

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 12:11 PM   #322
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If there is pon farr in the comics hopefully we will be spared it on screen.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:27 AM   #323
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think the comics are strictly canon; apparently Bob Orci said they were once but has retracted that in subsequent interviews (per the STOG thread in Trek Literature)

Also I'd expect they'll pretty much return to status end of ST:ID before the next movie.

However I'll be surprised if S/U gets much more attention in the next movie - mostly I hope that Uhura gets more respect.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:24 AM   #324
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Clancy_s wrote: View Post
However I'll be surprised if S/U gets much more attention in the next movie - mostly I hope that Uhura gets more respect.
Well, I don't think either of those things will happen. They don't seem interested in writing Uhura well, and I'm of the opinion now that they couldn't write the Spock/Uhura relationship well to save their lives. I think they just lucked up and got it right in the first film as a fluke. That's too bad, really.

Anyway, more S/U goodness coming from some very talented illustrators:

This one looks kind of like the anime version of S/U:

The other 2 pics are a little racy, so I'll put them under a tag:

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old June 28 2013, 05:33 PM   #325
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Well, someone just sent me this link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/148562544/...rek-22-Preview

It looks like I won't be watching the next movie
that was only the preview there are other pages after that and still one more issue after that that will be published in July.

I don't know if you read the comics especially the second part but there is a moment between Kirk and Uhura where Uhura talks about Spock and it's really interesting what she said about him and his vulcan side. I don't know if I can post that scan here but anyway the point is that she told Kirk that she understood that Spock hides some things of his vulcan side from her because he loves her.
Summarized like that it doesn't make sense but I get what she meant. In short he didn't tell her about pon farr, that is a source of shame for him, because he was scared to lose her. But she says she loves his vulcan side too so maybe she will encourage him to share more of that part of himself with her in the future.
Let's not forget that as a child of two worlds Spock had always been considered an outsider by both earth and vulcan the only one that accepted him was his mother but the others always saw him as the alien, different and "weird" from their perspective so I don't find it so crazy to believe that he might be scared to lose Uhura, especially after the loss of his home world and mother.
I think there are sides of his human half that he doesn't accept or tries to control but there are also sides of his vulcan side that he doesn't accept or is scared to show.

Also I have to note that in no form it's ever implied that he wants to mate with T'pring. I have a feeling that the blood fever gets so bad for him (and man.. it's bad. I don't know what the comic writers were thinking here but I had no idea that vulcans could be like zombies ) precisely because he doesn't want her.
At one point they have a group of vulcans having to basically carry him to the mating ceremony (because he's that sick and barely conscious) but suddenly he gets mad like hell and escapes from it.
-----

having said that, the comics are always grey area between canon and not canon. They're a bit more canon than other comics because they're approved by Orci so they're useful to get hints and he has an influence, I think, but remember that the writers of the comics aren't the same writers of the movies.
Furthermore, they're comics. Storytelling in the form of a comic is different than storytelling in the form of a movie or novel.
I have to say though that by far Uhura had been amazing in the comics. One of the better developed characters. Have a lot of respect for the girl, I can totally see why he loves her he couldn't find a better match.
Old June 28 2013, 10:31 PM   #326
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Without getting into it, I'll just say I wish I shared your optimism. Truly.

Old June 29 2013, 02:47 AM   #327
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I liked S/U is the first flick, but I confess I thought it was next to useless in this one.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:05 AM   #328
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

that's not really optimism per se, I think we just see things differently and have a different opinion (just like we have a different opinion about S/U in into darkness where I like how they're developed and don't have any particular issue with the writing when it comes to them ; ) )
I guess I'm less critical, I'm used to read both the comics and the novels so I know what to expect from both kind of devices.

I just won't obsess over things that haven't happened.

Agenda wrote: View Post
I liked S/U is the first flick, but I confess I thought it was next to useless in this one.
I beg to differ. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have Spock's speech in that ship on the way to the klingons planet and the writers wouldn't be able to set up his emotional development in the movie that culminated with his reaction when Kirk died.
Kirk had similar issues with him but she was the only one who could make Spock open up about his feelings that way. That speech wasn't just about him admitting that he cares/loves her it was much more than that it was important to get an insight about his character especially after what happened to vulcan.
I've read a review that said they could have made a whole movie only on that and focus more on Spock and the repercussions of the destruction of vulcan but instead we got the usual Kirk movie where everything pretty much revolved about his character growth and this created a lot of missing opportunities.

I think that Kirk's death scene was very out of character for Spock but that speech he made to Uhura makes it a tad less OOC and a tad more justified. This isn't the same Spock before vulcan got destroyed and he saw his mother and Pike dying and in that Kirk's death served as the last straw that broke the camel's back. Without his speech to Uhura and what we are told about him from that, the scene would have resulted even more forced and OOC IMO
Old June 29 2013, 12:49 PM   #329
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Malaika wrote: View Post
that's not really optimism per se, I think we just see things differently and have a different opinion (just like we have a different opinion about S/U in into darkness where I like how they're developed and don't have any particular issue with the writing when it comes to them ; ) )
I guess I'm less critical, I'm used to read both the comics and the novels so I know what to expect from both kind of devices.

I just won't obsess over things that haven't happened.
Well, I don't read comics or the novels, and perhaps that's part of the problem. Most of the people that I've talked to that have been able to explain everything thing in detail, such as yourself, have read those things and I've even been referred to them by some of those people after I've pointed out what didn't make sense to me in the film. So, yeah, I disagree when someone tells me that they did a great job with the film, but see this comic or that novel to understand this scene better, lol.

I've only watched the 2 films, and that's it. I guess I just don't consume every little bit of S/U that is possibly out there to get the "full experience."

In my opinion, the 2 films should be able to do that on their own, and I don't have on rose colored shipper glasses when it comes to STID enough to believe that it did it's part in that regard. I don't have a problem with other people liking it, or thinking that it did, but I just can't agree.

Old June 29 2013, 09:10 PM   #330
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

It's a cynical attempt to make Spock more normal, less weird and less possibly homosexual. Though this poll shows I'm in the minority as most in this section profess to "LOVE" their flirtatious banter .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote