RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 601
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 9 2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Bell'Orso
Lieutenant

Re: Renaissance Class

Yeah, I guess what you see as a neck I see as merely the secondary hull rising up to meet the saucer. Like on Voyager, as I said. Anyway, please don't take my comments as discouragement. I'd love to see this progress.
Bell'Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Atolm
Lieutenant Commander

Hey Andymator I think you've got the shape spot on. In Comic images of starships, most artists do not stay faithful to a design from panel to panel, so it looks like yours is damned good!
Atolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Bell'Orso wrote: View Post
Yeah, I guess what you see as a neck I see as merely the secondary hull rising up to meet the saucer. Like on Voyager, as I said. Anyway, please don't take my comments as discouragement. I'd love to see this progress.
Heheh, it's cool. It's all still rough right now so it's likely to change around quite a bit before I find something that works.

Atolm wrote: View Post
Hey Andymator I think you've got the shape spot on. In Comic images of starships, most artists do not stay faithful to a design from panel to panel, so it looks like yours is damned good!
Thanks man!

I've done a little more research, which doesn't really add anything substantial to help me heheheh.

--------------------

The Star Trek Encyclopedia - page 406

RENAISSANCE CLASS STARSHIP

"Conjectural designation for a type of Fereration vessel. The U.S.S. Aries, offered for Riker to command in 2365, was a Renaissance-class ship ('The Icarus Factor' [TNG]), as was the U.S.S. Hornet ('Redemption Part II' [TNG]). Named for the period in European history when civilization as we know it had a dramatic rebirth, or renaissance.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual - page 174

LIFEBOATS (Autonomous Survival and Recovery Vehicle)

"The first group of ASRVs were delivered in 2337 in time to be fitted to the last Renaissance class starship, the USS Hokkaido, and with minimal hardware and software changes were chosen as the lifeboats for the Galaxy class."

--------------------

So, aside from the escape pod thing, not much to go on there...
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Blip
Fleet Captain

For my part, I can see it both with and without a neck - depending on which comic panel you use as a reference... My suggestions would be as follows:

If you're going for an Ent-C era look, make the neck a little thinner and more noticeable. Likewise, ensure the saucer and nacelle details fit the era - shorter phaser strips, old RCS quads, etc. I'd probably suggest making the deflector more simple than the nice looking angles you've got at present. (which happens to be the one reason I'd rather you went for a TNG-era look instead!)

If you are going for a more TNG-era "refit" look, keep the thicker neck you've got already, and the ovoid-angular deflector... then detail the RCS thrusters, phaser strips, lifeboats etc accordingly. I'd also suggest maybe something halfway between a Galaxy-class nacelle and similar to what we saw on the Danube-class.

YMMV, of course -- those are just rough directions I'd consider if I had the time to doodle something in myself! By the way, those latest sketch views are purty.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 08:45 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

Andymator wrote: View Post
I spent an hour or so playing around with some shapes and trying to see what works and what doesn't. Still pretty basic, but it's kind of starting to make some sense heheheh. I should be working on storyboards for Star Trek Triton but a little fun now and then never hurt anybody!

That Voyager concept looks very close! I should take a few cues from that...
Thanks for keeping the saucer round. That looks great.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote