Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 11 2012, 01:00 PM   #121
Mars
Captain

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

What if Sarah Palin were to take off her glasses and put on a bathing suit, would you recognize her then?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 01:18 PM   #122
Dream
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Big gawky glasses and no one knows she's the same woman.
Hey, it worked for Superman.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:50 PM   #123
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
JRS wrote: View Post
My biggest fear is that this new show will show turn in to lame "WW in college", that will show her studying, going to parties/shopping clothes, having lame crush with a local football star..and occasionally doing some superhero stuff(and trying to keep her identity secret).
Secret identity? How does that work? Does she wear a blonde wig? Running around in a bathing suit fighting villains makes it hard to keep a secret identity.
You're not really familiar with comics in general or Wonder Woman in particular, are you?
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:57 PM   #124
Mars
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
My biggest fear is that this new show will show turn in to lame "WW in college", that will show her studying, going to parties/shopping clothes, having lame crush with a local football star..and occasionally doing some superhero stuff(and trying to keep her identity secret).
Secret identity? How does that work? Does she wear a blonde wig? Running around in a bathing suit fighting villains makes it hard to keep a secret identity.
You're not really familiar with comics in general or Wonder Woman in particular, are you?
Last I heard, wonder woman didn't have a secret identity. Diana Prince can't take a dive in a swimming pool without revealing she is Wonder Woman. Did you ever think about that?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:58 PM   #125
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

They should set it in the 30s.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:08 PM   #126
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Last I heard, wonder woman didn't have a secret identity. Diana Prince can't take a dive in a swimming pool without revealing she is Wonder Woman. Did you ever think about that?
She had one for her first forty years and off and on for the next thirty. No, I don't often waste time thinking about how Diana Prince can never go swimming. Because she's a comic book superhero, I'm willing to suspend disbelief in regards to "secret identities".
Old September 11 2012, 04:10 PM   #127
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Why? She was created in 1941.
Old September 11 2012, 04:15 PM   #128
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Because they're going the younger kid version route. So when 1941 rolls around in the show, she'll be the correct age when punching Nazis during WWII.
Old September 11 2012, 04:16 PM   #129
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Because they're going the younger kid version route. So when 1941 rolls around in the show, she'll be the correct age when punching Nazis during WWII.
So Wonder Woman: The Wonder Years?
Old September 11 2012, 04:17 PM   #130
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

"And there it was..."
Old September 11 2012, 04:23 PM   #131
Christopher
Writer

It was never actually said that Wonder Woman would be a "kid" in this. It just said "a young, budding superhero," a character at the start of her heroic career. (Again, the Smallville comparison was the reporter's interpretation, so we can't assume that's the actual plan.) That could be intepreted in a number of ways; "young" can mean young adult, someone in their 20s, not just a teenager. As I said before, the description could potentially fit the post-Crisis Perez reboot from the '80s, where Diana was an adult but still innocent and inexperienced with the world beyond Themyscira, having to learn her role as a superhero and celebrity as she went while trying to balance that with her mission as an ambassador for her people.

In any case, we don't know enough at this point to make any assumptions about how the show will actually be done.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:30 PM   #132
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
If Thor can get his own successful movie, so can WW.
But everybody already expects Thor to smooch gals. Notice how Marvel Studios has yet to try a solo superheroine flick.

Christopher wrote: View Post
In any case, we don't know enough at this point to make any assumptions about how the show will actually be done.
Hasn't stopped nine pages of speculation, though, has it?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:46 PM   #133
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I'd love to see that. I'm more interested in Wonder Woman's life than I am in non-stop crime fighting. When I saw the Wonder Woman pilot last year, the best stuff involved Diana, the CEO.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:56 PM   #134
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

ie. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Old September 11 2012, 05:19 PM   #135
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that. I'm more interested in Wonder Woman's life than I am in non-stop crime fighting. When I saw the Wonder Woman pilot last year, the best stuff involved Diana, the CEO.
Whereas I liked it when Phil Jimenez and Greg Rucka, writing in the comics, focused on her work as the Themysciran ambassador, her advocacy and charity work, etc. In particular, Rucka's early issues brought a neat West Wing flavor to the embassy scenes.

Of course, it's a given that any live-action TV adaptation of a superhero is only going to devote a few minutes to action and fighting, since it would be too expensive to do otherwise. So there's zero chance that the show will be "non-stop crime fighting."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote