Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2012, 07:27 PM   #106
Mars
Captain

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Methos wrote: View Post
yeah he's popped up a few times, typically whenever Diana and Hercules meet, there's some serious property damage, and lots of insurance agencies go bankrupt lol

M
I wonder what would happen if Hercules showed up at a Justice League meeting?

Another interesting scenaro: Hercules goes out on a date with Supergirl. Hey if Superman does it with Wonder Woman, imagine if Supergirl's new "boyfriend" happened to be Hercules. Diana would say, he's too old for you, Supergirl would retort that Clark has got no more than a decade on her.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:31 PM   #107
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Well Diana could hold Hercules in check in a fight, but the rest of the JLA wouldn't exactly be a problem for him...

He'd cold clock Superman easily... one punch and we have an unconcious Kryptonian to deal with lol

Flash might be a reasonable problem... he's fast enough to evade Hercules, and if he had enough distance to clock up a decent amount of speed, he could probably do some damage with his punches.

Green Lantern... nah, Herc would slaughter his way through Hal pretty easily.

Martian Manhunter again might give him pause, but i don't see the fight lasting long

Aquaman would get slaughtered

M
Old September 10 2012, 07:33 PM   #108
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
Methos wrote: View Post
Well i suppose it depends which origin story we go with...

I normally stick to the 'forged by clay' storyline, as that's the one i know readily enough... but the new Wonder Woman comics say that Hyppolyta had an affair with Zeus before the God's left earth, and their affair led to Diana's conception. The truth of her divinity was kept secret in order to protect Diana from the wrath of Hera, whose jealousy was notorious...

So modern storylines put Wonder Woman at about 1800 give or take... given the 'Gods' left Earth somewhere between 200 and 400ad according to DC's timeline...

M
About the time Christianity left the Roman Empire, in such a case, Wonder Woman would then be the daughter of Jupiter, as Rome was the predominant civilization back then. Still if were talking about a young Wonder Woman it would have to be either in the late Roman Empire or the Dark Ages, so Jupiter/Zeus would have had to be fooling around more recently with Hyppolyta if Wonder Woman is to be a young girl just entering school. If she is an immortal then she'll stay a young adult as soon as she grows up and could be over a thousand years old and not look it. Another thing if Zeus/Jupiter is her father from an affair with Hyppolyta, that makes Hera/Juno her enemy in the same way it did for Hercules. Hera/Juno is famous for her jealosy and taking it out on the offspring of Zeus/Jupiter's affairs.
When did Christianity leave the Roman Empire?????

The Roman and Greek Gods have been presented as separate entities in the post COIE DCU (thanks to Darkseid, IIRC). They did merge "recently". Romans had a habit of making local Gods the same as their own. For example they thought of Thor as being Jupiter. Rome's dominance around the Mediterranean region is irrelevant to Diana's conception.

Hera's jealousy has been a factor in the current WW title.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:17 PM   #109
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I really wish that they would show her wearing other flags than America for britches. Show a world tour montage, and she's got the regionally precise flags of the world plastered over her bodice depending...

The Japanese flag would be odd.

Where do you put the sun?

Over her belly would be about pregnancy.

Is one breast less important than the other?

A big red spot on her white knickers?

That's just asking for a parents committee to ban something.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 01:30 AM   #110
Mars
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I really wish that they would show her wearing other flags than America for britches. Show a world tour montage, and she's got the regionally precise flags of the world plastered over her bodice depending...

The Japanese flag would be odd.

Where do you put the sun?

Over her belly would be about pregnancy.

Is one breast less important than the other?

A big red spot on her white knickers?

That's just asking for a parents committee to ban something.
The Japanese got Godzilla, I've seen some movies where that monster was presented as a superhero, they don't need Wonder Woman to do advertising for them on her bra.
Old September 11 2012, 01:46 AM   #111
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh no, back in the 80s, retconed now, but Diana explained her costumed as bestowing honour to the land she was visiting as a grateful tourist by wearing their colours. and since she was primarily in America that's why there were 50 stars on her panties.

For realz.

Old September 11 2012, 01:51 AM   #112
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

<snip>... and since she was primarily in America that's why there were 50 stars on her panties.

For realz.
That's one way to stay dedicated to a diet.

If Colin Baker's Doctor Jacket was an American Flag, can you imagine how many stars it would've needed by the time he left the role?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 02:36 AM   #113
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Of course when she was created, she only had 48 stars.
Old September 11 2012, 03:30 AM   #114
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

there's a break in continuity called 1985. The actual year. it's called crisis. 40 years of continuity was washed away. Everything started again, and this era is referred to as post crisis, which is when what I was referring to happening did happen.

Post crisis the Wonder Woman from the 40s was Diana's mother from the present during a time travel whoopsie, and her costume had just two stars, which was almost a years worth of comics by John Byrne.

Old September 11 2012, 03:46 AM   #115
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

there's a break in continuity called 1985. The actual year. it's called crisis. 40 years of continuity was washed away. Everything started again, and this era is referred to as post crisis, which is when what happened did happen.

Post crisis the Wonder Woman from the 40s was Diana's mother from the present during a time travel whoopsie, and her costume had just two stars, which was almost a years worth of comics by John Byrne.
You don't have to explain it to me, Guy. I was there. Closer to 50 years though, since a lot of the Golden Age stuff was retconned.

Still, the Hippolyte retcon took place a good ten years after the Crisis. Up till then, Miss America and Fury were the defacto Golden Age "Wonder Woman".

Diana's costume in Byrne's run, which spanned three years, also had two stars.
Old September 11 2012, 04:05 AM   #116
Dream
Admiral

If Thor can get his own successful movie, so can WW. Too bad Warners is run by idiots that love chasing chickens.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:18 AM   #117
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I hated that retcon.

One second Daniel from Sandman is the grand son of the golden age Wonder Woman and then sudden it's this nobody called the Fury.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; September 11 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old September 11 2012, 09:33 AM   #118
JRS
Fleet Captain

My biggest fear is that this new show will show turn in to lame "WW in college", that will show her studying, going to parties/shopping clothes, having lame crush with a local football star..and occasionally doing some superhero stuff(and trying to keep her identity secret).
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 11:10 AM   #119
Mars
Captain

JRS wrote: View Post
My biggest fear is that this new show will show turn in to lame "WW in college", that will show her studying, going to parties/shopping clothes, having lame crush with a local football star..and occasionally doing some superhero stuff(and trying to keep her identity secret).
Secret identity? How does that work? Does she wear a blonde wig? Running around in a bathing suit fighting villains makes it hard to keep a secret identity.
Old September 11 2012, 11:37 AM   #120
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Have you seen the show from the 70s?

Big gawky glasses and no one knows she's the same woman.