Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 8 2012, 10:11 AM   #61
lurok
Commodore

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

After watching that dreadful pilot, read the Jodi Picoult graphic. Would much rather have seen adaptation of that.

for your consideration (she apparently matches DC bio stats)

Last edited by lurok; September 8 2012 at 11:09 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:00 PM   #62
Mars
Captain

JRS wrote: View Post
I mostly agree regarding live-action, but I figure that generations of SUPER FRIENDS and JUSTICE LEAGUE cartoons have probably helped keep her in the public consciousness to some degree, especially since a lot of the people who watched those shows as kids are old enough to buy tickets (or choose the TV channel) now.
Not to mention her own animated film that came out few years ago( that was actually a good movie).
I actually like the Lynda Carter WW series
Its true that the plots are campy and even silly, but I think Carter did very good job in the role.
Plus she looked great doing it, too

I am all for Wonder Woman series and this "young WW" concept sounds interesting( though there is also Wonder Girl they could have used). I just hope they not make the same dreadful mistakes that were made in the recent TV-pilot, that never aired.
This needs to be a well written and cast show, otherwise it will be shot down before it even starts.
Hollywood producers haven't got a clue. Wonder Woman is not just the way she looks, her history is important too, if you change it too much, you get a different character.

Hollywood producers often get too creative in reinventing old characters and not creative enough in writing stories for them.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:06 PM   #63
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Mars wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman is not just the way she looks, her history is important too, if you change it too much, you get a different character.

Hollywood producers often get too creative in reinventing old characters and not creative enough in writing stories for them.
Pure truth...

You need to stick with the origins with Wonder Woman, as with all comic to TV / Movie franchise... otherwise you might as well call it a ripoff and be done with it...

Wonder Woman was crafted from clay, and given birth by Zeus and Hera... she does not have 'parents' in the traditional sense, and was raised by Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons...

It makes me cringe when i see Tv shows and movies where they've taken the character, given them a completely different back story and motivations, and tried to pass it off as the original...

M
Old September 8 2012, 03:05 PM   #64
Christopher
Writer

lurok wrote: View Post
"She" who? You didn't say who that is.

Methos wrote: View Post
You need to stick with the origins with Wonder Woman, as with all comic to TV / Movie franchise... otherwise you might as well call it a ripoff and be done with it...

Wonder Woman was crafted from clay, and given birth by Zeus and Hera... she does not have 'parents' in the traditional sense, and was raised by Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons...
Well, actually, in the current "New 52" DC Comics continuity,

It's the nature of long-running myths and tales that they get reinvented and reinterpreted. That's not wrong. It's part of how creativity has always worked for as long as human beings have told stories. Heck, the whole Wonder Woman mythos is based on a very, very loose retelling of elements from Greek mythology, changing a wealth of detail and substance. If the comics were faithful to what mythology says about the Amazons, then Wonder Woman would've cut off (or cauterized) her right breast in adolescence -- or more likely would never have been born at all because Hercules would've killed Hippolyta thousands of years ago. So it's frankly pretty hypocritical to complain about people changing the details of Wonder Woman's story. There would be no Wonder Woman if Marston hadn't played extremely fast and loose with his source material.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:13 PM   #65
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I gotta start billing you.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 12:10 AM   #66
Mars
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

It's the nature of long-running myths and tales that they get reinvented and reinterpreted. That's not wrong. It's part of how creativity has always worked for as long as human beings have told stories. Heck, the whole Wonder Woman mythos is based on a very, very loose retelling of elements from Greek mythology, changing a wealth of detail and substance. If the comics were faithful to what mythology says about the Amazons, then Wonder Woman would've cut off (or cauterized) her right breast in adolescence -- or more likely would never have been born at all because Hercules would've killed Hippolyta thousands of years ago. So it's frankly pretty hypocritical to complain about people changing the details of Wonder Woman's story. There would be no Wonder Woman if Marston hadn't played extremely fast and loose with his source material.
So basically NOW Wonder Woman is a Demigod, much like Hercules and Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson novels. In Percy Jackson novels, Demigods are mortal, they age, but they gain powers from their godly parent, in Wonder Woman's case those powers would include the strength of Hercules, since Zeus is the god of the sky, she might have the power of flight or she might not, I don't think she can cast lightning bolts.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 12:11 AM   #67
Dream
Admiral

I don't think she can cast lightning bolts.
That's Thor's gimmick.
Old September 9 2012, 01:30 AM   #68
wondertrash
Cadet

Christopher wrote: View Post

So basically NOW Wonder Woman is a Demigod, much like Hercules and Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson novels. In Percy Jackson novels, Demigods are mortal, they age, but they gain powers from their godly parent, in Wonder Woman's case those powers would include the strength of Hercules, since Zeus is the god of the sky, she might have the power of flight or she might not, I don't think she can cast lightning bolts.
The lady is Daniella van Graas, a Dutch/American model/actress.
wondertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:21 AM   #69
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A model? Hell, you might as well cast a Beauty Pageant Queen.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:25 AM   #70
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
A model? Hell, you might as well cast a Beauty Pageant Queen.
And a Mexican one at that...
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:48 AM   #71
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Nah, you need a Gordon Sumner lookalike.
agreed there...

Constantine is blonde, unshaven, speaks with a strong Liverpool accent, and chainsmokes Silk Cut cigarettes... oh, and he's a pure, unmitigated bastard lol

M
You could just cast Sting himself and have the show take place late in his life.

Oh and for added horror, have him perform any of his post-Police material (excluding All This Time).

OH GOD ITS LIKE WILLIAM HUNG DOING AN IMPRESSION OF MCCARTNEY. GOD MAKE IT STOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:53 AM   #72
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

OH GOD ITS LIKE WILLIAM HUNG DOING AN IMPRESSION OF MCCARTNEY. GOD MAKE IT STOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
Oh Lord, I was lucky enough to avoid that, She Bang, was plenty enough for me of William Hung

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 03:30 AM   #73
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Nah, you need a Gordon Sumner lookalike.
agreed there...

Constantine is blonde, unshaven, speaks with a strong Liverpool accent, and chainsmokes Silk Cut cigarettes... oh, and he's a pure, unmitigated bastard lol

M
You could just cast Sting himself and have the show take place late in his life.

Oh and for added horror, have him perform any of his post-Police material (excluding All This Time).

Hey!!!! I like The Dream of The Blue Turtles!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 05:06 AM   #74
JD
Admiral

Where was everybody getting the whole high school thing earlier in the thread? In all of the stuff I read the only way they compared it Smallville was by saying it would be a young Diana just starting out as a superhero. I don't see where any of what was said prevents them from following the traditional WW origin. The show could just follow her as she's new to "Man's World" and learning about our society and at the same time starting the path to becoming a superhero. I think it's worth keeping in mind that the guy who is trying to put the show together has a history with comic books, and Wonder Woman specifically. So he should have at least some familiarity with the traditional portrayal and history or the character.
Old September 9 2012, 06:39 AM   #75
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Hey!!!! I like The Dream of The Blue Turtles!!!!!
Same here! Leave Sting alone.

On the other hand, how about William Hung as Constantine?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote