RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 823
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 7 2012, 12:52 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Constantine, yeah, that could be good. Get someone dark and broody played by an Ian Somerhalder look-alike, and that's right n the CW's wheelhouse.
Nah, you need a Gordon Sumner lookalike.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:59 AM   #17
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
agreed there...

Constantine is blonde, unshaven, speaks with a strong Liverpool accent, and chainsmokes Silk Cut cigarettes... oh, and he's a pure, unmitigated bastard lol

M
Old September 7 2012, 01:04 AM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
agreed there...

Constantine is blonde, unshaven, speaks with a strong Liverpool accent, and chainsmokes Silk Cut cigarettes... oh, and he's a pure, unmitigated bastard lol

M
So, Keanu Reeves then?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 7 2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

John Constantine's thoughts on that...

M
Old September 7 2012, 01:13 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Why is Warners/DC is trying to copy everything Marvel does now?

First Avengers is a huge hit, Justice League is quickly annouced.

S.H.I.E.L.D is announced as tv show, now they are trying to rush a WW show onto the CW?

Well, the Justice League movie idea was out there before the Avengers film came out, but the effort failed. And as for TV, Arrow is about to premiere, which is long before the SHIELD is announced. Could it be said that Marvel is copying DC?

Besides, DC has long had a better record on the small screen, especially with live-action shows. I'm looking forward to the Wonder Woman idea and I hope the pilot gets the green light. The Smallville approach is fine with me, if it gets a Wonder Woman show on the air and brings in new viewers like Smallville did. Hopefully any new show won't shy away from Wonder Woman's comic roots and bring in many of her villains, etc.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 01:18 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

After years of the electric company I was amazed that Spider-man could talk in the comics.

After years of watching Linda carter, i was amazed that Wonder Woman could fly in the comics.

If you give us a flying Wonder Woman this could be a very violent show.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 01:27 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

"Now?" Come on -- Marvel and DC have been copying each other for generations.

Or to put it more fairly, they're competitors in the same industry, the two companies that have defined that industry for most of its history -- of course they're going to do similar things. What do you expect? That's like saying GM is copying Chrysler if they both introduce new car models with four wheels.

The idea of showing Diana's beginnings as Wonder Woman has potential, depending on how it's done. If, say, they followed the lead of George Perez's introduction of the post-Crisis WW, that could turn out nicely.

As for the concern that they'd follow the Smallville route of avoiding the costume, I'm reminding myself that by the last couple of seasons, there were plenty of costumed heroes on Smallville, and even Clark had a costume of sorts, though not the full Superman getup. By that point, the "no flights, no tights" rule was a relic of the beginnings of the series, dating from a time when networks were more wary about superheroes -- and, I gather, a matter of Welling's own preferences. Now we've got Arrow, which, while taking a more grounded, Nolanesque approach to Green Arrow, nonetheless does have him in a costume. It's a different era now than it was when Smallville began, an era where superheroes are a huge business and a TV show doesn't have to hide the fact that it's about one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Methos

Christopher wrote: View Post
They're competitors in the same industry, the two companies that have defined that industry for most of its history -- of course they're going to do similar things. What do you expect? That's like saying GM is copying Chrysler if they both introduce new car models with four wheels.
Funny, someone needs to cram that into Apple's brain lol

M
Old September 7 2012, 01:33 AM   #24
Dream
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Now?" Come on -- Marvel and DC have been copying each other for generations.

Or to put it more fairly, they're competitors in the same industry, the two companies that have defined that industry for most of its history -- of course they're going to do similar things. What do you expect? That's like saying GM is copying Chrysler if they both introduce new car models with four wheels.
Maybe I'm just bitter that it took Warners/DC this long to finally get the Justice League thing going. Warners has owned DC for years now. They should have been schooling Marvel in the superhero movie department, a shared universe should have been so easy for them to do.

Also I still don't like how Batman and Superman focused they have been are at the expense of the less popular DC heroes.
Old September 7 2012, 01:34 AM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Here's your title: Paradise High.

You're welcome.
Old September 7 2012, 01:45 AM   #26
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

You're welcome.
Is it an all girls school?
Old September 7 2012, 01:45 AM   #27
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

You're welcome.
It's better than Wonder Bait, which was my idea.
Old September 7 2012, 01:47 AM   #28
Methos

To be fair though, DC / Warners, pretty much... well, they suck at Superhero movies...

As much as it pains me to admit it, they do...

Aside from the Batman Begins movies, I don't actually think there's been a solid superhero movie from DC / WB in the past 20 years...

lets have a quick rundown...

1995 Batman Forever - atrocious

1997 Batman & Robin - pathetic and laughable

1997 Steel - wtf lmao

2004 Catwoman - I won't even dignify that as being even remotely based on the character in question.

2005 Batman Begins - Ok, so they got one right lol

2005 Constantine - Aside from character names, there isn't even a single connection between the movie and the actual comics... characters are so different it's laughable that DC/WB could even comprehend them being 'based on' the comics.

2005 V for Vendetta - Just laughable

2006 Superman Returns - Wasn't overly terrible, but a far cry from what it could have been...

2008 The Dark Knight - reasonable... 6/10 I say...

2009 Watchmen - OK, best from DC / WB so far

2010 Jonah Hex - pft... lmao... not sure what was worse in this one, the script or the acting... pathetic...

2011 Green Lantern - So laughable, even long time Green Lantern fans avoided this one like the plague

2012 The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10... pretty decent for a Batman movie...

So in the past 20 years, DC/WB have managed to do 3, maybe 4, decent Superhero movies that actually stuck to the original characters and remained true to the writing... that's a pretty abysmal batting average for anyone, let alone a major company like DC/WB...

M
Old September 7 2012, 01:47 AM   #29
Dream
Admiral

You're welcome.
They're already planning to call it Amazon.
Old September 7 2012, 01:49 AM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You're welcome.
Is it an all girls school?
Nah, but she's the new exchange student from "somewhere in Greece."