TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 12 2012, 04:11 PM   #166
Christopher
Writer

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

the G-man wrote: View Post
Chris3123 wrote: View Post
it will focus on Wonder Woman as a young, budding superhero
Meaning, technically, she should still be on Paradise Island.
No, because it said "budding superhero." She didn't become a superhero until she came to the US. "Young" doesn't have to mean "teenaged." It can refer to early adulthood. Heck, in some contexts, like, say, candidates for high political office, people in their 40s are considered young. It's a relative term. In this context it could simply mean that she's at the start of her superhero career, that she's inexperienced and learning.

Think Smallville, but instead of a "no tights, no flights" rule, this show might have a "no bracelets, no crown" mandate.)
So, basically, this again. Wonderful.
One more time: That is only the reporter's interpretation. It is not a direct statement from the show's developers themselves. Reporters are not infallible. They make guesses, they make assumptions, they make mistakes. This is purely one person's speculation, not factual information. So don't take it too seriously. It's always a good idea to read defensively, to make sure you distinguish between what's actually a quote from the source and what's filtered through the reporter.

As for the 1974 Wonder Woman TV pilot, that's actually not the same situation as Smallville. From 1968-73 in the comics, Wonder Woman lost her powers and became an Emma Peel-style secret agent and karate expert. So at the time the Cathy Lee Crosby pilot was being developed, it was faithful to what Wonder Woman was in the comics. The change back to the superpowered Amazon in the star-spangled bathing suit happened in 1973, before the pilot aired, but they were already locked into what they were doing. So it wasn't like the Smallville situation, a show that deliberately downplayed the superhero aspects of the comics. It was a faithful interpretation of what the comics were doing at the time it was developed, although the comics had changed by the time it was broadcast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:26 PM   #167
the G-man
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Chris3123 wrote: View Post
it will focus on Wonder Woman as a young, budding superhero
Meaning, technically, she should still be on Paradise Island.
No, because it said "budding superhero." She didn't become a superhero until she came to the US. "Young" doesn't have to mean "teenaged." It can refer to early adulthood

Good point. I was reading it more as "superhero in training," and since her training occurred on Paradise Island I made that comment.

Think Smallville, but instead of a "no tights, no flights" rule, this show might have a "no bracelets, no crown" mandate.)
So, basically, this again. Wonderful.
As for the 1974 Wonder Woman TV pilot, that's actually not the same situation as Smallville. From 1968-73 in the comics, Wonder Woman lost her powers and became an Emma Peel-style secret agent and karate expert...[/QUOTE]

That may be, but it wasn't very enjoyable. To me, WW (like Thor) need to be about myths and gods and crazy costumes and lots of action. I didn't enjoy 1974's attempt at a down to earth WW and I don't find myself at all enthusiastic about DC trying it again.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 05:14 AM   #168
JD
Admiral

I think it's worth pointing out that the article I read did say the show's creator, who's name I'm forgetting, has written WW comics. So he (I think it's a he) is familiar with the comic book version of the character. That doesn't mean he won't change things, but I would think it would mean it's less likely that he'll make huge drastic changes.
Old September 13 2012, 06:55 AM   #169
Gov Kodos
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I think it's worth pointing out that the article I read did say the show's creator, who's name I'm forgetting, has written WW comics. So he (I think it's a he) is familiar with the comic book version of the character. That doesn't mean he won't change things, but I would think it would mean it's less likely that he'll make huge drastic changes.
Allen Heinberg, he's done quite a bit of work on a TV and started off the 3rd volume of Wonder Woman which tried to make her something akin to the TV version. I didn't like it at all, it tried to keep too much of the 2nd volume (Max Lord fall out for instance) and the addition of Diana Prince (spygirl) just didn't work for me. Azzarello and JMS both did better reboots of the character by completely reworking her world. Perhaps, Heinberg will get a similar freedom to re-imagine the character here.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 07:41 AM   #170
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Yeah having WW's secret ID be the "Emma Peel" version of Diana Prince was an odd choice. I suppose in a way it calls back to when Diana Prince worked or Military Intelligence. Though IIRC she was a secretary. of course before that she was a nurse! Suffering Stereotype!!

I've always liked the non-powered, karate kicking Diana Prince, though. I bought a few issues of WW from that era as a kid. DC should think about separating Diana Prince from Wonder Woman and giving Di her own title. (With I Ching of course)
Old September 13 2012, 08:01 AM   #171
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Yeah having WW's secret ID be the "Emma Peel" version of Diana Prince was an odd choice. I suppose in a way it calls back to when Diana Prince worked or Military Intelligence. Though IIRC she was a secretary. of course before that she was a nurse! Suffering Stereotype!!

I've always liked the non-powered, karate kicking Diana Prince, though. I bought a few issues of WW from that era as a kid. DC should think about separating Diana Prince from Wonder Woman and giving Di her own title. (With I Ching of course)
Those depowered Wonder Woman years were the first I bought long ago in a used bookstore. They were a lot of fun. I particularly liked the story 'Them' (I think it was) about a gang of mod hoods. I even enjoyed the Cathy Lee Crosby version which came out around the time of the depowered years. The Heinberg version just didn't work for me since the idea of the depowering was to help her be more in touch with humanity, which she supposedly didn't understand. How they thought making her a superspy would do that, I don't know. Her job was basically WW without the powers. Strange choice.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:18 PM   #172
Mars
Captain

What is a depowered Wonder Woman anyway, just a karate expert?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:17 PM   #173
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
She also runs a boutique.
Old September 13 2012, 03:20 PM   #174
Dream
Admiral

Xena as played by Lucy Lawless.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:27 PM   #175
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

To ask it another way, what is non-depowered Wonder Woman? The Wonder Woman I know is pretty much like the Lynda Carter WW. Fast enough to use the bracelets, can leap high and run fast and very accurate aim. But, these don't seem like Supernatural powers, just extremely well developed everyday skills. Not very much different from Xena.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 04:11 PM   #176
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
To ask it another way, what is non-depowered Wonder Woman? The Wonder Woman I know is pretty much like the Lynda Carter WW. Fast enough to use the bracelets, can leap high and run fast and very accurate aim. But, these don't seem like Supernatural powers, just extremely well developed everyday skills. Not very much different from Xena.
Actually the Wonder Woman of the TV series did have superhuman strength, though more on a par with Steve Austin or Jaime Sommers than her comics counterpart, and attributed to her magic belt rather than being an innate ability (or at least, she had superstrength while on Paradise Island but needed the belt to retain it in the outside world). They presumably toned down her powers for budgetary reasons, and because of the pressures at the time to tone down violence on TV. In the comics, Wonder Woman was always portrayed as superstrong -- more so than a hundred of the best human athletes, according to her debut appearance -- able to run at 60 MPH, and durable enough to jump off a tall building. Like Superman, she accumulated more powers over the decades -- limited telepathy, panlingualism, the ability to glide on the winds, microscopic vision, superbreath, Flash-style dimension-shifting, etc.

The Wonder Woman of the modern comics is nearly as powerful as Superman -- she's the strongest woman in the DC Universe, can fly under her own power and survive in space, is nearly as fast as the Flash, has superhuman stamina and agility, is highly resistant to injury and quick to heal (although less so than Superman, hence the need for deflecting bracelets), has enhanced vision, hearing, and smell, is an empath who can sense emotions and commune with animals, and can even astral-project herself to other dimensions. As well as being one of the finest warriors and strategists in the world and a natural leader.

In short, Wonder Woman has always been pretty much the female counterpart to Superman, with powers comparable to his in type, range, and magnitude.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 07:37 PM   #177
Mars
Captain

You ever try jumping up to the roof of a building from the ground level? I don't believe any human can, not even the best Olympic atheletes can jump 10 feet up in the air from a standing position, that is superhuman, and you can't train to have those abilities, no matter who your training master is. There is no amount of training that will allow you to see bullets coming and place a wrist bracelet in front of their paths so as to deflect them.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 07:40 PM   #178
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

You ever try jumping up to the roof of a building from the ground level? I don't believe any human can, not even the best Olympic atheletes can jump 10 feet up in the air from a standing position, that is superhuman, and you can't train to have those abilities, no matter who your training master is. There is no amount of training that will allow you to see bullets coming and place a wrist bracelet in front of their paths so as to deflect them.
You just don't go to the right dojos.
Old September 13 2012, 08:02 PM   #179
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

You ever try jumping up to the roof of a building from the ground level?
Sure, do it all the time. I was about to get rid of my ladders until I discovered it wasn't any easier to hang Christmas lights.

Plus my wife keeps complaining about debris drifting down from the ceiling.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 08:26 PM   #180
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My wife used to say that too.

When I realized she was talking about my hair, I had a good cry.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote