Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 11 2012, 10:29 PM   #151
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Oops; I guess I derived too much from her appearance in Crisis.
Yeah, it looked like the whole JSA aged twenty years over night!!!!
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:30 PM   #152
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Superboy pummelled the first people to call him Superboy... "I'm SuperMAN damn it!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:35 PM   #153
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^Then reality changed.
Old September 12 2012, 12:25 AM   #154
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Rise of the Supermen (1993ish) was half way between Crisis and Zerohour.

It was just his hormones which eventually calmed down.

Although did you ever see the Superbaby back up stories in the back of the Superboy comics from the 70s?

Old September 12 2012, 12:31 AM   #155
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yes. Nothing like a baby with the power of a god.
Old September 12 2012, 12:56 AM   #156
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

"Martha, he's wet! Yer turn to change him!"
"Land sakes, Jonathan, why don't you ever take a turn?"
"Dadgum it, Martha, my arm's still sore from the last time he peed on me."

<unwrap>

"Oh, dear, Pa, he's got the runs. However will we change him now?"
"Don't worry, Martha, I'll just run down the lane to the Ross farm and borrow his gear again."
"Pa, one of these days he'll wonder what yer doing. He knows you don't play hockey."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:24 AM   #157
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Mars wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that. I'm more interested in Wonder Woman's life than I am in non-stop crime fighting. When I saw the Wonder Woman pilot last year, the best stuff involved Diana, the CEO.
Whereas I liked it when Phil Jimenez and Greg Rucka, writing in the comics, focused on her work as the Themysciran ambassador, her advocacy and charity work, etc. In particular, Rucka's early issues brought a neat West Wing flavor to the embassy scenes.

Of course, it's a given that any live-action TV adaptation of a superhero is only going to devote a few minutes to action and fighting, since it would be too expensive to do otherwise. So there's zero chance that the show will be "non-stop crime fighting."
If she is a girl, then her name will have to change to "Wonder Girl", its kind of awkward to say "Wonder Woman when she was a girl"
It seems that the comics have the press name new heroes on the scene instead of letting the hero give him or herself a gaudy name.

I can easily see a reporter going for the alliteration of "Wonder Woman" over "Wonder Girl" or "Wondergirl."
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:54 AM   #158
Mars
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post

Mars wrote: View Post

Wonder Woman was always portrayed as a young woman, never middle aged or elderly. Linda Carter was a young woman when she played her.
Untrue; the Golden Age Wonder Woman was portrayed as an old woman. Which may tell us something about her intended lifespan, by the way. She aged normally between WWII and the 1980s.
Sort of. They really didn't start aging her and the other JSAers "normally" till the mid 80s. An occasional touch of grey and couple of laugh lines was about it.
I don't really think Wonder Woman should age, seeing how she comes from Ancient Greece and if she is two thousand years old and looks like a woman in her early 20s, why should she suddenly start to age now? I think Superman shouldn't age either he's invulnerable to a lot of stuff since he came to Earth, time is just another thing he could be invulnerable to.

Its hard to be authoritative about any of these characters, as DC keeps changing them around so many times, anything you learn about them quickly becomes obsolete soon as the change the continuity one more time. Superman ages, but then he never ages, because they keep resetting his age at around 20, and having him arrive later at Metropolis to start his career as a reporter and superhero.

I think a 1940s Wonder Woman is more interesting, because she had so many interesting villains to fight back then arising out of the Third Reich and World War II, that is one reason I liked the Linda Carter series. Having her arrive from Paradise Island today means there are fewer villians she can fight. If set during world war II, she can fight Nazis, if set now, she fights some fictional megalomaniac instead of something historical like the Nazis. During World War II, there was more at stake. Now its just maintaining the balance of power and returning things to status quo. World War II was more interesting, and there was more Male Chauvinism for Wonder Woman to go against in the World War II period than now.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:55 AM   #159
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Well she doesn't always come from Ancient Greece. On second thought, she never comes Greece, ancient or otherwise. She's from Paradise Island. Some versions indicate she was born in modern times and her "immortality" is only in effect when she's on Themyscira. The Earth II WW left Paradise Island to marry Steve Trevor and raise her daughter Lyta. So she was aging normally that whole time.

Not sure if "invulnerable" translates to not aging. Superman has been shown to be susceptible to disease. (usually of non-terrestrial origin). It possible that his cells can breakdown naturally as well.

Most superhero comics operate under the illusion of change. The heroes are perpetually in the middle of their careers and use a sliding time scale to compensate. For the longest time Superman was said to "always" be 29. All topical references are just window dressing to be changed as needed.

How many WWII Wonder Woman villains can you name off the top of your head? There are plenty of villains to fight in the modern world. The Cheetah, Doctor Psycho and Silver Swan come to mind, And then you have mythological foes like Ares, Hades and Hera.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; September 12 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old September 12 2012, 05:07 AM   #160
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

in DC 1,000,000... 70 thousand years later... Superman was still around.

I laughed my ass off when the Superman beyond comics started popping up.

4 seasons of Batman beyond on TV and Clark just lets some dipshit kid stand between Gotham and the Toilet.

Old September 12 2012, 05:14 AM   #161
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Didn't Supes have to take a millennia long nap in the Sun prior to 1,000,000?
Old September 12 2012, 07:30 AM   #162
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought he built a house in there, but yes, he had been on Sol for thousands of years which might explain his nigh immortality, but then he was perfectly aware of this future and had to stay on the sun so that Solaris could be boxed when it was. Predestination paradox and all.

Old September 12 2012, 12:45 PM   #163
Mars
Captain

Well she doesn't always come from Ancient Greece. On second thought, she never comes Greece, ancient or otherwise. She's from Paradise Island. Some versions indicate she was born in modern times and her "immortality" is only in effect when she's on Themyscira. The Earth II WW left Paradise Island to marry Steve Trevor and raise her daughter Lyta. So she was aging normally that whole time.

Not sure if "invulnerable" translates to not aging. Superman has been shown to be susceptible to disease. (usually of non-terrestrial origin). It possible that his cells can breakdown naturally as well.

Most superhero comics operate under the illusion of change. The heroes are perpetually in the middle of their careers and use a sliding time scale to compensate. For the longest time Superman was said to "always" be 29. All topical references are just window dressing to be changed as needed.

How many WWII Wonder Woman villains can you name off the top of your head? There are plenty of villains to fight in the modern world. The Cheetah, Doctor Psycho and Silver Swan come to mind, And then you have mythological foes like Ares, Hades and Hera.
Yet when they are part of a greater struggle such as World War II they seem to have greater consequence. In a World War II comic book setting the bad guys are usually working for the Nazis. So could you imagine Cheetah working for Hitler? Ares would love Hitler, as war is his specialty, once the war starts however he doesn't really care who wins, just so long as there is a war and the prospect for another war in the immediate aftermath. If Hitler won, then Ares would become the resistance leader's "friend", because he wouldn't want a peaceful Third Reich either. Superman would fit well in a World War II setting, especially if the Germans create their own "Uberman" for him to fight.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:47 PM   #164
Christopher
Writer

Well she doesn't always come from Ancient Greece. On second thought, she never comes Greece, ancient or otherwise. She's from Paradise Island.
Right. A lot of people don't understand this. The Amazons of myth were not Greeks -- they were enemies of the Greeks, coming from some distant land beyond the fringes of the civilized world. The whole idea was that the Amazons were barbarians, aliens, both geographically and culturally as far from being Greek as you could get. The myths of Amazons may have been inspired by Central Asian horse-nomad cultures, in which women tended to be more equal than in agrarian societies and were even trained in combat. The ancient Greeks, being profoundly misogynistic, could have expressed their disdain for that custom by exaggerating it into their myths of Amazons. By having Greek national heroes like Herakles and Theseus conquer those uppity Amazons, kill their queen, and take their warriors as slaves, the myths reaffirmed Greek values of manly men keeping women in their place.

And in DC, the Amazons were a separate nation founded by women who fled the oppression of the Greeks and others; in the post-Crisis continuity, they were a multicultural nation populated by women from all over the world.

So no matter which way you slice it, the very last thing you should expect the Amazons to be is Greek.
Old September 12 2012, 03:48 PM   #165
the G-man
Rear Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
it will focus on Wonder Woman as a young, budding superhero
Meaning, technically, she should still be on Paradise Island.

Think Smallville, but instead of a "no tights, no flights" rule, this show might have a "no bracelets, no crown" mandate.)
So, basically, this again. Wonderful.

Methos wrote: View Post
I honestly don't see Wonder Woman doing well on either the big screen or smaller screen... she's just not a hero I can actually see in Live Action shows properly.
Actually, a "Xena" style Wonder Woman that doesn't take itself too seriously and has a knowing sense of humor (think Whedon Buffy, not camp) could be great. Sadly, however, these days (post GL) DC/WB seems to have only two styles for their TV and movie projects: Nolan/Nolan lite (Batman, Man of Steel) and Smallville low budget.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote