RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,400
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 576
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 11 2012, 06:04 PM   #136
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

But all that uplifting good work was rendered how moot by Amazons Attack?

"When the Amazons aren't slaughtering small towns or trying to kill the president, I still respect their values that a woman can do anything if all the men are dead or deported."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 06:30 PM   #137
Mars
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
It was never actually said that Wonder Woman would be a "kid" in this. It just said "a young, budding superhero," a character at the start of her heroic career. (Again, the Smallville comparison was the reporter's interpretation, so we can't assume that's the actual plan.) That could be intepreted in a number of ways; "young" can mean young adult, someone in their 20s, not just a teenager. As I said before, the description could potentially fit the post-Crisis Perez reboot from the '80s, where Diana was an adult but still innocent and inexperienced with the world beyond Themyscira, having to learn her role as a superhero and celebrity as she went while trying to balance that with her mission as an ambassador for her people.

In any case, we don't know enough at this point to make any assumptions about how the show will actually be done.
Wonder Woman was always portrayed as a young woman, never middle aged or elderly. Linda Carter was a young woman when she played her.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 06:32 PM   #138
Mars
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
They should set it in the 30s.
Why? She was created in 1941.
I like World War II Wonder Woman myself. I'd have her partner with Captain America and fight the Red Skull.
Old September 11 2012, 06:35 PM   #139
Mars
Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that. I'm more interested in Wonder Woman's life than I am in non-stop crime fighting. When I saw the Wonder Woman pilot last year, the best stuff involved Diana, the CEO.
Whereas I liked it when Phil Jimenez and Greg Rucka, writing in the comics, focused on her work as the Themysciran ambassador, her advocacy and charity work, etc. In particular, Rucka's early issues brought a neat West Wing flavor to the embassy scenes.

Of course, it's a given that any live-action TV adaptation of a superhero is only going to devote a few minutes to action and fighting, since it would be too expensive to do otherwise. So there's zero chance that the show will be "non-stop crime fighting."
If she is a girl, then her name will have to change to "Wonder Girl", its kind of awkward to say "Wonder Woman when she was a girl"
Old September 11 2012, 06:39 PM   #140
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I hated that retcon.

One second Daniel from Sandman is the grand son of the golden age Wonder Woman and then sudden it's this nobodyiel called the Fury.
I dunno, Guy. Fury was created as a Wonder Woman sub in 1987, Sandman was first published in 1989. I don't know if Daniel was ever the Golden Age Wonder Woman's grandson.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 06:40 PM   #141
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

JRS wrote: View Post
My biggest fear is that this new show will show turn in to lame "WW in college", that will show her studying, going to parties/shopping clothes, having lame crush with a local football star..and occasionally doing some superhero stuff(and trying to keep her identity secret).
That's really the first thing I thought of when I heard about this new project. I'd be very surprised if she wore any kind of costume, much less something that resembled a Wonder Woman costume.
Old September 11 2012, 06:42 PM   #142
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that. I'm more interested in Wonder Woman's life than I am in non-stop crime fighting. When I saw the Wonder Woman pilot last year, the best stuff involved Diana, the CEO.
Whereas I liked it when Phil Jimenez and Greg Rucka, writing in the comics, focused on her work as the Themysciran ambassador, her advocacy and charity work, etc. In particular, Rucka's early issues brought a neat West Wing flavor to the embassy scenes.

Of course, it's a given that any live-action TV adaptation of a superhero is only going to devote a few minutes to action and fighting, since it would be too expensive to do otherwise. So there's zero chance that the show will be "non-stop crime fighting."
If she is a girl, then her name will have to change to "Wonder Girl", its kind of awkward to say "Wonder Woman when she was a girl"
Why? The opposite is used all the time. Sue Richards was the Invisible Girl even after she was a married adult with a child.

From a business standpoint, if you've licensed an iconic name like "Wonder Woman" you use the name Wonder Woman.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 11 2012, 06:48 PM   #143
Mars
Captain

Why? The opposite is used all the time. Sue Richards was the Invisible Girl even after she was a married adult with a child.

From a business standpoint, if you've licensed an iconic name like "Wonder Woman" you use the name Wonder Woman.
Why would a 14-17 year old call herself "Wonder Woman"? I believe Sue Richards was called the "Invisible Woman". Super girl is a girl, and she's never allowed to grow up and become an adult super hero, because then they would have to change her name.
Old September 11 2012, 07:01 PM   #144
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Why would a 14-17 year old call herself "Wonder Woman"? I believe Sue Richards was called the "Invisible Woman". Super girl is a girl, and she's never allowed to grow up and become an adult super hero, because then they would have to change her name.
Sue was the Invisible Girl for 20 odd years.

Why wouldn't she? Peter Parker became Spider-Man as a High School student.

Supergirl has been an adult for most of her career. Going to college (only five years after her debut) and graduating even before Robin did. Afterwards she held several "adult" jobs. Only in the more recent takes has she been portrayed as a teen.
Old September 11 2012, 09:48 PM   #145
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Double post.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 09:50 PM   #146
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I like World War II Wonder Woman myself. I'd have her partner with Captain America and fight the Red Skull.
Diana says, "Captain who?"

It was never actually said that Wonder Woman would be a "kid" in this. It just said "a young, budding superhero," a character at the start of her heroic career.
Wonder Woman was always portrayed as a young woman, never middle aged or elderly. Linda Carter was a young woman when she played her.
Untrue; the Golden Age Wonder Woman was portrayed as an old woman. Which may tell us something about her intended lifespan, by the way. She aged normally between WWII and the 1980s.

I believe Sue Richards was called the "Invisible Woman". Super girl is a girl, and she's never allowed to grow up and become an adult super hero, because then they would have to change her name.
You mean like Dick Grayson, Wally West, Roy Harper, and Jason Todd?

And Sue Richards, who was originally the Invisible Girl, but was later the Invisible Woman. Because she grew up and changed her name.

Why would a 14-17 year old call herself "Wonder Woman"?
Who says she's going to be 14 to 17 years old?
Old September 11 2012, 09:55 PM   #147
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

heh... Wonder Teen returns lol

M
Old September 11 2012, 10:08 PM   #148
Christopher
Writer

Well, of course, there was a Wonder Girl in the comics for decades, and originally she was, like Superboy, just the younger version of the same character in flashback adventures -- along with occasional "imaginary stories" featuring the impossible situation of Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl (and their even-earlier self Wonder Tot!) teaming up for adventures. Which led a later writer to get confused and start writing canonical storeis with Wonder Girl as a separate character who co-existed with Wonder Woman in the present. Which forced them to come up with a new explanation for who this Wonder Girl was, and the Donna Troy identity was created for her.

...And that's when it started to get complicated.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:12 PM   #149
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post

Untrue; the Golden Age Wonder Woman was portrayed as an old woman. Which may tell us something about her intended lifespan, by the way. She aged normally between WWII and the 1980s.
Sort of. They really didn't start aging her and the other JSAers "normally" till the mid 80s. An occasional touch of grey and couple of laugh lines was about it.
Old September 11 2012, 10:25 PM   #150
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Oops; I guess I derived too much from her appearance in Crisis.