Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Channel 4 have picked up a new show from Charlie Brooker called Black Mirror.

From Channel 4
Charlie Brooker (E4's Bafta-nominated Dead Set author) returns with Black Mirror, a new 3 x 60 minute scripted mini-series, commissioned by Head of Comedy Shane Allen and produced by comedy and drama producer Zeppotron.
Over the last ten years, technology has transformed almost every aspect of our lives before we've had time to stop and question it. In every home; on every desk; in every palm - a plasma screen; a monitor; a smartphone - a black mirror of our 21st Century existence. Our grip on reality is shifting. We worship at the altars of Google and Apple. Facebook algorithims know us more intimately than our own parents. We have access to all the information in the world, but no brainspace left to absorb anything longer than a 140-character tweet.
Black Mirror is a hybrid of The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected which taps into our contemporary unease about our modern world. The three stand-alone dramas will be sharp, suspenseful, satirical tales with a techno-paranoia bent - all audacious ‘what if' stories: some comic, some shocking.
Charlie Brooker says: ‘Growing up, I always loved The Twilight Zone and shows of that ilk. Black Mirror won't be anything like those, but on the other hand, it's closer to them than, say, Downton Abbey. It combines satire, technology, absurdity, and a pinch of surprise, and it all takes place in a world you almost - almost - totally recognise. It changes each week - like the weather, but hopefully about 2000 times more entertaining. If you don't like it, you will be beaten about the face and neck by Channel 4 executives.'
Sounds like Classic Charlie fare here. Can't wait to see it.
Old July 18 2011, 08:39 PM   #2
ITL
Vice Admiral

Re: Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Hooray! More Brooker is always a good thing.
Old July 18 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
captcalhoun
Admiral

i don't care about the shows, i just LOL'd at the quote from him at the end of BTS's quote.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Jax
Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
Hooray! More Brooker is always a good thing.
Indeed, any idea if there will be another season of "You Have Been Watching" and "TV Ruined my Life" ?
Old July 18 2011, 09:00 PM   #5
ITL
Vice Admiral

I have no idea, but if anyone knows, it's Bob.
Old July 18 2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

I've not heard about either, hope both, and 10 o'clock live come back for more.
Old July 20 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

God I hope its on soon......No new IT crowd, No new screenwipes, No new You have been watching, new Who spread over the year, Hustle's gone, and the rest of 2011 looks similarly sparse on the ground for stuff to watch.(For me anyway).

Thank god i have a good supply of DVD box sets on tap.(just going through Stargate).

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Servo
Rear Admiral

Sounds cool.

I agree with Haggis. Autumn can't come soon enough. At least we'll have new episodes of Doctor Who and Sherlock, and I imagine this show will likely air between Autumn and Christmas.

Didn't the beautiful Lauren Laverne say they'd be back "later in the year" at the end of the last 10 O'Clock Live?
Old July 20 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
ITL
Vice Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
Sounds cool.

I agree with Haggis. Autumn can't come soon enough. At least we'll have new episodes of Doctor Who and Sherlock, and I imagine this show will likely air between Autumn and Christmas.

Didn't the beautiful Lauren Laverne say they'd be back "later in the year" at the end of the last 10 O'Clock Live?
Probably. And beautiful? She certainly is.
Old July 20 2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^I don't think she did. At least not that I remember.
Old July 20 2011, 06:00 PM   #11
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

She didn't, and there are rumours that Channel 4 dropped it due to poor ratings. It's possible that it will return again next year but they'll drop the live aspect, which means they'd have to change the name and everything. They should just call it "The Brooker and Mitchell Expertly Edited Half-Hour", because that name alone would attract back most of the audience that dropped away after the first few episodes.
Old July 20 2011, 06:30 PM   #12
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

Jimmy Carr ran out of funny hats.
Old July 20 2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Well I liked it all. so to you all.
Old July 20 2011, 07:21 PM   #14
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I liked it too. It was schizophrenic, but the good parts could be very good while the bad parts were rarely ever that bad, and it improved over the course of its run. But I don't see a need for it to be live, they could film it earlier in the day and edit out some of the less-than-slick bits, like The Daily Show does, and it would be pretty much the same show. It did well on 4OD, apparently, so a lot of the people that watched it weren't watching it live anyway.
Old July 20 2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I liked it too. It was schizophrenic, but the good parts could be very good while the bad parts were rarely ever that bad, and it improved over the course of its run. But I don't see a need for it to be live, they could film it earlier in the day and edit out some of the less-than-slick bits, like The Daily Show does, and it would be pretty much the same show. It did well on 4OD, apparently, so a lot of the people that watched it weren't watching it live anyway.
Well the live thing worked out when the Libya thing happened, and it differentiated it from Mock the Week, Have I got news for you, Stand up for the week, etc.