A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 6 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

A Night in Sickbay. A Masterpiece?

This episode was nominated for a Hugo Award for "Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form."

Obviously some people thought this episode was a masterpiece? I don't get it. Isn't this episode considered one of the worst ENT episodes ever?

It's an episode focused on Porthos. The episode also has Archer having sex dreams about TPol. How silly can you get?
Old September 6 2012, 01:57 AM   #2
NrobbieC
Commander

Re: A Night in Sickbay. A Masterpiece?

I don't know if it's "considered the worst" but who cares about other people's opinions. I'm quite fond of the episode personally. Masterpiece is not a word I'd use though.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:27 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

A nomination for an award is just a fancy term for a positive opinion. It's not one I share for certain. Archer should have been relieved of command for freaking putting his dog ahead of first contact with an alien race... they shouldn't have even let him take the dog along to begin with.
Old September 6 2012, 06:38 AM   #4
BruntFCA
Commander

I really like this episode. I mean it's the only time during the first 2 seasons that Archer is even remotely interesting, sure it's in a WTF is wrong with this guy kind of way but I still thought it made for a much more interesting character then we'd seen previously.
Old September 6 2012, 07:36 AM   #5
kythe
Commander

I thought the whole thing was a bit silly, like Enterprise making fun of itself. There was a funny scene of Phlox and Archer running around sick bay chasing a bat, but that wasn't enough to redeem the episode.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I choke it down if I see it as a great Phlox episode and ignore the rest.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

i didn't overly mind it... it has silly parts, but i can wash it down as a 'filler' episode, and watch it for the mindless writing...

M
Old September 6 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

My main problem with it is that after trying to convince myself that Archer wasn't really a dick because of how he told T'Pol he wanted to knock her on her ass he goes and acts even more dick-ish in this ep. And after trying to convince myself that really, he must be the right man for this job, he has a conniption over his dog pissing on a tree.

MY DOG. WILL PISS. WHERE HE LIKES.

So I've pretty much got my head stuffed under a pillow during this ep except for the very charming Phlox bits.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 6 2012, 10:15 AM   #9
lurok
Commodore

Hardly call it a masterpiece but it's an amusing diversion.
Old September 6 2012, 11:11 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It certianly has it's charm. Maybe it was nominated because they thought a story about ManDogLove had a better chance of winning something than one of Trek's generic recycled stories, which season two was full of.
Old September 6 2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral

I enjoyed Archer and Phlox in sickbay, but I hated the cheesy sex jokes and Archer's crabby attitude toward the aliens even though everything was his own fault.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Apart from being guilty of Archer's character assassination, this episode also caused the fastest and steepest ratings drop in the history of the franchise.

I personally know some Star Trek fans who were on the fence about Enterprise until they saw this episode and decided it wasn't worth it. I tried to tell them that it gets much better, especially in season 3, but they actually said they couldn't stomach the captain being a redneck idiot.
Old September 6 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

I think the idea was for it to be a bit of a farce, to have the show not take itself so dang seriously, but, truthfully, the actions had consequences. I did like that it picked up on what happened in Strange New World. There was a bit of continuity there, showing that even our smallest actions can create major problems.

The love for Porthos was, I felt, genuine. It did make it obvious that the dog should not have been there in the first place, but he was there, and it makes you think about later Trek, where families are on board. Love or hate Wesley Crusher, he had to have been the first person Beverley would think about when the ship was attacked. Bad idea for him to be aboard? Yes (and not for the purpose of Wesley-bashing). But if you don't allow families on board, you lose most experienced personnel as they give the finger to Starfleet and leave for 20 years or so in order to be with their families. A Catch-22 in the making, yes?
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:39 PM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Apart from being guilty of Archer's character assassination, this episode also caused the fastest and steepest ratings drop in the history of the franchise.

I personally know some Star Trek fans who were on the fence about Enterprise until they saw this episode and decided it wasn't worth it. I tried to tell them that it gets much better, especially in season 3, but they actually said they couldn't stomach the captain being a redneck idiot.
I saw that happen with Dear Doctor, people so disgusted with it they never watched another episode

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 02:33 AM   #15
BruntFCA
Commander

I'd like to add that I'm not a fan of Archer at all which probably effects my view because I can see why fans of Archer would hate it. Also I have heard several people say that A Night in Sickbay made them stop watching.