RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,669
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 705
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 3 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Would Batman: The Animated Series be made today?

So I've been revisiting Batman: TAS recently and I'm struck but how adult and cinematic the show was. It really is like watching an update of a 40s serial. Yet it was a show that was made specifically for kids and aired in the early afternoon. Of all of the DCAU shows, it was the one that was the least suited for kids. With its adult themes, retro styling and vintage music it more suited for primetime.

While animation has come a long way since the early 90s it seems that shows aimed at kids are fairly upbeat and well...child like. Producers today are more likely to create more traditionally kid friendly shows and a series like Batman probably would not get made unless it was specifically targeted for adults. Indeed what eventually killed the DCAU was the fact that Cartoon Network decided that it wanted more kid friendly fare from DC. Thus Teen Titans and eventually Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes were made with kids in mind. Young Justice and Green Lantern certainly come close to the quality of the old DCAU, but nothing really touches the quality of that first Batman series.

Of course, had Batman been a primetime show t might have lasted longer than 4 seasons.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: Would Batman: The Animated Series be made today?

BTAS was on Primetime during weekends. I think it didn't do very well.

I'm holding out hope the new Batman show might give us another BTAS. They have all the right people lined up.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Wasn't BTAS just as much an anomaly to 1992 (damn, 20 years ago...) as it would be now? I don't know that cartoons are necessarily more kiddy oriented now.

The one thing that would've been going on at that point is that the Burton Batman movies had a bit of a throwback to that 30's/40's/Art Deco/Gothic/whatever (don't correct me ) atmosphere so the style of BTAS wouldn't be as removed as if they were to try it now.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Incidentally, the show is exactly 20 years old today, having aired on 5th September 1992. Happy birthday!
Old September 5 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Incidentally, the show is exactly 20 years old today, having aired on 5th September 1992. Happy birthday!

Wow that's amazing!

As for the topic itself, it's a great question but I think BTAS could still be made today IF a network decided to go that route. As mentioned above, Young Justice comes somewhat close to adult themes, at least in my opinion.