Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 29 2012, 05:47 AM   #991
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Actually, HTV worked on the remaster of Predator 2, according to their website.

This post suggests they worked on the awful remaster of the first film, but it's the only thing I could find online about it. I (obviously) did not buy that version of the film, so I can't look at the disc credits, if it has them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:56 AM   #992
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

mswood wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.
Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
You do realize that illegal means are currently available to watch these (have been since the weekend). People can actually claim seeing them without it technically being released to the public.

I don't know who would admit to it. But the claim that people haven't seen it, isn't now something that can be said, with certainty.
I think what FrontierTrek was getting at is that BillJ was criticizing something (BOBW II) that certainly no one outside of the remastering project has seen, before it's even considered finished. I kind of made that mistake too by prejudging what certain shots in "Remember Me" might look like given HTV's track record. But as FrontierTrek has pointed out:

"CBS have not announced schedules, release dates or who is responsible for 4-7."

These things may still be kind of up in the air at this point. We'll have to wait and see. Try to focus on the positive, everyone. I know I'm not always successful in that regard and that kind of makes me a hypocrite... but right now I'm enjoying Season Two despite a few flaws here and there.

Season One had a few flaws too. In fact, some weren't fixed and still remain. It's like what Riker says in "Time Squared"...

"It's your Persian Flaw."
Old November 29 2012, 08:35 AM   #993
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Actually, HTV worked on the remaster of Predator 2, according to their website.

This post suggests they worked on the awful remaster of the first film, but it's the only thing I could find online about it. I (obviously) did not buy that version of the film, so I can't look at the disc credits, if it has them.
I edited my post to remove the Predator quip before you finished your post, sorry about that.

I made the comment in jest. Wow, if they seriously did do the Predator UHE, then that's hilarious. According to their website, they've worked on Out of Africa, Back to the Future, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Spartacus, American Graffiti, The French Connection (!) doing grain reduction. Some of those are notorious for their picture quality. Fox has already seen fit to remaster Out of Africa, Patton, and French Connection from scratch, due to fan outrage. Hey, you never know...

Last edited by jimbotron; November 29 2012 at 09:07 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 08:50 AM   #994
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Is HTV just jumping the gun here, or do they know something we don't?

http://www.htvinc.com/content/conten...ut-htv&hx=2050

"STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (multiple seasons)"
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 09:50 AM   #995
throwback
Captain

I think that if we keep digging that we might find that many of their products have been marred by poor video quality.

In my search, I did find that Fox had gone back and released a new edition of Tora! Tora! Tora!, after the disastrous earlier edition. I am enthused to get this film - I think this is the best telling of the Pearl Harbor attack in Western cinema.

Well, for now, we have three options - get this set, or wait until there is a re-release, or wait for the next great advancement in home media. Option two is probably improbable, and option three is years or a decade away.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 12:00 PM   #996
trekker670
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Is HTV just jumping the gun here, or do they know something we don't?

http://www.htvinc.com/content/conten...ut-htv&hx=2050

"STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (multiple seasons)"
They probably know something we don't, since they'd probably have already started on season 4 by now...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 12:21 PM   #997
NewHorizon
Captain

Hopefully it means that HTV is only transferring and restoring the video elements and not re-compositing the VFX. I swear, I will not buy another product they touch.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 12:31 PM   #998
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Okay three more things before I shuffle off to bed:

1. I've checked every episode now on every disc and the DTS-HD 7.1 & 2.0 PL English audio tracks have the dialogue placed correctly in the center channel. Good work, Chace Audio.
  2. That problematic screencap of the Hathaway in "Peak Performance" is only that bright at the very end of the shot as the warp nacelles light up brighter and the orange glow of the explosion hits it. It looks much better at the start of the shot. The explosion looks fine too. HTV, I owe you an apology on that one.
  3. All the S1 stock footage in "Shades of Gray" appears to be no different than how it looks on the S1 set -- so that CBS Digital VFX work is probably all just carried over... which makes sense, as why would they spend any more time on that episode than they needed to?
Old November 29 2012, 12:40 PM   #999
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the impressions, Maxwell!

Any chance you can upload a screengrab of the new creature transformation effect from The Dauphin? (Admittedly not easy to see a transformation in a static shot, but y'know)
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 01:44 PM   #1000
Scotty
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Hopefully it means that HTV is only transferring and restoring the video elements and not re-compositing the VFX. I swear, I will not buy another product they touch.
Overreact much?

trekker670 wrote:
They probably know something we don't, since they'd probably have already started on season 4 by now...
This. As much as the people at Trekcore try to reassure us that CBS hasn't announced anything and that certain decisions are still "up in the air", there are a lot of remarks made in interviews leading up to the first season release that indicate that the work on season 4 has already begun and there is no reason to assume that the remastering isn't being done by HTV.

This is still a first day buy for me. I agree with everyone that there seems to be a drop in quality, but I also believe it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
Old November 29 2012, 02:05 PM   #1001
NewHorizon
Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post
Overreact much?
I'm not overreacting at all, in fact I think it's quite reasonable to not support a company that has shown to have put out sloppy work in the past. Overreacting to me would imply that that I'm foaming at the mouth and punching holes in walls. I'm not.

I'm simply stating a fact. I refuse to support businesses that I feel are not worthy of my hard earned dollars. The money I spend on these sets has been tucked away specifically for these releases. I don't just have it lying around.

At the end of the day, it's just a 25 year old television program. CBS made a quality product, so they earned a purchase. HTV did not make a quality product, in my opinion, so they lose my purchase. If I don't feel a company deserves my money, I can not justify wasting that money when it could be spent on food or other necessities...especially since I have a 1 year old daughter to think about.
Old November 29 2012, 02:07 PM   #1002
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well I must say that despite some misgivings about the quality of S2 I am totally pumped to go the screening tonight!

Last edited by Savage Dragon; November 29 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:11 PM   #1003
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I'm not overreacting at all, in fact I think it's quite reasonable to not support a company that has shown to have put out sloppy work in the past.
Actually, that's pretty unreasonable. By that admission, you wouldn't buy Season 4 even if it was high quality, due to who made it, not how good or bad it is.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:22 PM   #1004
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan of the way the seasons will be of inconsistent quality either...but considering that the old masters were waaaay more inconsistent, it's a no-brainer purchase for me. Plus, the extras sound awesome.

I don't begrudge anyone spending money on raising a child instead of buying Blu-rays, just so long as sales as still strong enough for DS9 to be released too.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:12 PM   #1005
NewHorizon
Captain

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
I'm not overreacting at all, in fact I think it's quite reasonable to not support a company that has shown to have put out sloppy work in the past.
Actually, that's pretty unreasonable. By that admission, you wouldn't buy Season 4 even if it was high quality, due to who made it, not how good or bad it is.
If they show the actually can match the quality of cbs d then of course I would buy it, but I have yet to see proof of that yet. Until I do,
I won't touch their Seasons.