Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 28 2012, 09:50 PM   #976
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Edit - OK, I see your apologies. I think I'll be leaving this thread, it's just turned silly in the past week or so. The lack of objectivity from some people is astounding.
But why was it okay to fawn over season one based on pre-release screencaps but wrong to be critical of season two based on pre-release screencaps?

Honestly, if HTV does season four, what makes you think we'll see an upgrade over the work of season two? If they are re-hired it will be because CBS is pleased with the work they've done. Correct?
Old November 28 2012, 10:01 PM   #977
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I think FrontierTrek is standing by the saying don't judge a book by it's cover. Which is fair.

The problem is we've seen the cover, the glossary, pages 12, 48, 77, 79, 81, 90, 99, 102, 110, 147 and 210, and 12, 77, 81, 90 110 and 147 looked bad compared to screencaps from the first season. To stretch the analogy to the limit - we haven't read the whole book yet, and I'm sure its fine as whole - but a sizeable part of the individual elements don't stand up to scrutiny the way they did in season 1.

It's a bit like going to the bathroom in a high end japanese hotel vs taking a dump in a gas station toilet. Your doing the same thing, but they're very, very different experiences.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:04 PM   #978
throwback
Captain

As someone who is mentally disabled, I didn't appreciate that my dislike for what I am seeing is somehow tied to the fact that I am not like other 'normal' people.

The work on Season 2 was done by a company that hasn't updated its web site since 2010. This company was notable as the employer of Dan Curry. They have done work on restoring films, such as Patton, for DVD. The company promoted itself as a leader in restoration.

Yet, when screenshots were released, and when those screenshots were compared to work done on an earlier season, what was demonstrated was that the company was not a leader in restoration. The quality of their work fell in between SD and HD. Their efforts fell short of the mark set by CBS Digital.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:10 PM   #979
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

throwback wrote: View Post
As someone who is mentally disabled, I didn't appreciate that my dislike for what I am seeing is somehow tied to the fact that I am not like other 'normal' people.
Well said, sir. Through familial circumstance, I am intimately familiar with Aspergers/Autism - and that comment was not only crass, but frankly, quite insulting.
Old November 28 2012, 10:21 PM   #980
Harvey
Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
They have done work on restoring films, such as Patton, for DVD. The company promoted itself as a leader in restoration.
Wait -- this isn't the same company that did that shoddy restoration work on Patton a few years ago, is it? A restoration that scrubbed out so much detail that Fox shelled out for a new high definition transfer this year.

(A Google search finds this page, which claims they were indeed responsible for that work.)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:33 PM   #981
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well that's not exactly comforting, is it?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:42 PM   #982
throwback
Captain

Yes. I like this comment on the issue from a review:

Of course, Patton has been released on disc before in both 2-disc and single-disc DVD editions as well as 2-disc Blu-ray. Most of you will already be aware though that the Blu-ray version was widely disappointing, as its 2.20:1/1080p video presentation was “digitally mastered” to the point of being unwatchable. The company involved in the re-master intentionally filtered away all trace of grain from the image such that very little of the detail that should have been present in a 65mm negative transfer was left. Thankfully Twentieth Century Fox’s Senior Vice-President of Library and Technical Services, Schawn Belston, has been given the chance to correct this injustice and the resulting BD presentation is exemplary.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/patton-remastered
Old November 29 2012, 12:08 AM   #983
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

From what I've seen, if season two is of this quality, even if it isn't up to par with season one, I'm perfectly content with it. I have a hunch that, after watching the actual Blu-rays, most people here will be like, "Well, all right. It doesn't look as bad as we thought."

Just watch. I'd bet money on it, if I wasn't currently unemployed.
Old November 29 2012, 12:21 AM   #984
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Apologies to FrontierTrek for the "shill" remark. Just caught me in a foul mood earlier.

But I didn't see anyone getting defensive when people were drooling over the season one screencaps nor was anyone telling people they needed to wait for the set to actually come out before commenting positively on the work done by CBS-Digital.
There were plenty of people who were saying it was just the same tv series but clearer, so yeah there were complaints there too.
Old November 29 2012, 01:08 AM   #985
throwback
Captain

Well, there is the episode "Shades of Gray". With clips from the first season, I think we can better judge the quality of HTV Illuminate's work.
Old November 29 2012, 01:41 AM   #986
Flake
Commodore

Bit I am most looking forward to right now is the 3rd season trailer! Must. See. It.

Its my fav season of TNG It is the peak of TNG due to the passing of the torch from the Roddenberry-era to the Berman-era producers. The transition from one team to the other happens in season 3 and it retains the best elements of both Gradually from Season 4 onward the Berman producing team removes bit by bit elements of S1 & S2 until eventually there is not much left.... replaced with the lighting & direction of a daytime soap opera and musical score to match :P (ok, a bit harsh, but you get my drift)
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:18 AM   #987
davejames
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Bit I am most looking forward to right now is the 3rd season trailer! Must. See. It.

Its my fav season of TNG It is the peak of TNG due to the passing of the torch from the Roddenberry-era to the Berman-era producers. The transition from one team to the other happens in season 3 and it retains the best elements of both Gradually from Season 4 onward the Berman producing team removes bit by bit elements of S1 & S2 until eventually there is not much left.... replaced with the lighting & direction of a daytime soap opera and musical score to match :P (ok, a bit harsh, but you get my drift)
I've always thought the overall quality stayed strong from S3-S6. But yeah, in terms of lighting and music, I agree S3 probably had the best combination of styles.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:37 AM   #988
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
It's really fantastic. It's running time is a fairly good 2:39... here's the content you'll see in the order they first appear:

• The Best of Both Worlds, Part I - Live-action & VFX - tons of shots throughout
  • Evolution - VFX
  • Yesterday's Enterprise - Live-action & VFX - tons of shots throughout
  • Deja Q - Live-action & VFX
  • Sins of the Father - Live-action
  • The Defector - VFX
  • The High Ground - Live-action
  • The Survivors - Live-action & VFX
  • The Hunted - Live-action
  • Booby Trap - Live-action & VFX
  • The Offspring - Live-action
  • The Enemy - Live-action
  • Tin Man - Live-action & VFX
  • The Vengeance Factor - Live-action & VFX

Oh, and so far I've thoroughly checked discs 1 & 2 of the S2 set and checked the main DTS-HD 7.1 and secondary English 2.0 tracks and there are no audio problems that I could tell. Front soundstage sounded discrete, dialogue in the center, bass sounded good and not random like in "Coming of Age." The 2.0's had proper Dolby Pro Logic IIX decoding.

So, now onto the next three discs.
Old November 29 2012, 02:55 AM   #989
mswood
Rear Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.
Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
You do realize that illegal means are currently available to watch these (have been since the weekend). People can actually claim seeing them without it technically being released to the public.

I don't know who would admit to it. But the claim that people haven't seen it, isn't now something that can be said, with certainty.
Old November 29 2012, 05:42 AM   #990
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

HTV did the original Patton Blu-ray.....whoa boy. Clearly they learned their lesson since much of the live action retains a film-like appearance....except for the stray shot that contains an effects element.

Oddly enough, I think I'll be checking out Shades of Gray first (such a scary thought). I want to see how the season 1 stock footage compares. You'd think they'd just drop in the footage as-is from season 1, but since they didn't do that with any of the effects, I doubt that will be the case. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm sure comparisons will be posted soon after release.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote