Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 27 2012, 09:10 PM   #901
throwback
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Non-experts? Did you know that HTV Illuminate is "...a leader in the business of high definition telecine mastering and artifact free standards conversion."? (http://www.htvinc.com/content/conten...out-htv&hx=553)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:20 PM   #902
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
Non-experts? Did you know that HTV Illuminate is "...a leader in the business of high definition telecine mastering and artifact free standards conversion."? (http://www.htvinc.com/content/conten...out-htv&hx=553)
And Dr. Nick Riviera is an expert surgeon.

Here's a comparison put together from the two screenshots posted earlier:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160480

Enterprise aside, the stars look like planets.

Last edited by jimbotron; November 27 2012 at 09:36 PM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:40 PM   #903
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Dream wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
They need to let CBS-Digital have the time they need to work on the remaining Seasons on their own. No more hatchet jobs from HTV.
Yes, just slow down.
Maybe CBS is afraid that sales will sufferly if they release these sets yearly?
IMHO opinion, two seasons a year would be adequate to maintain interest/sales while allowing enough time for CBS-D to complete the workload.
Old November 27 2012, 10:03 PM   #904
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Anyone seeing it priced any better than the $79.99 on Amazon?
Unfortunately not. We're only a week away, and it doesn't seem to be going any lower.

I'm starting to think $59 was just an introductory price to whet our appetites and get us hooked on buying these.

Ya I was hoping it would of least go down to the current price of Season 1 on Amazon which is $69.99 but I am starting to think we may not even get that price. I am not liking that I would have to pay $20 more for season 2 when it has less episodes and also seems to have worse effects than season 1.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:11 PM   #905
Flake
Commodore

We have only seen 0.0000000001 percent of the frames, who knows what we will discover when we watch the episodes for the 23rd time?

CBS-D missed a phaser shot, who knows what HTV will miss? :P

*Photon Torpedo sound* - "oops we forgot to actually put the torpedo into the shot!"

*RECALL ALL DISCS*
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:12 PM   #906
davejames
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Enterprise aside, the stars look like planets.
I don't really mind the bigger stars. That's kind of been a staple of Trek since the beginning.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:13 PM   #907
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I don't know about anyone else but I'm definitely not buying this upscaled SD release of Season 2. Luckily, SyFy HD has been broadcasting Season 1 so hopefully they'll show Season 2 in a few months too.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:17 PM   #908
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Flake wrote: View Post
We have only seen 0.0000000001 percent of the frames
Explain how you know that so exactly - I don't see no points on your ears boy.
Old November 27 2012, 10:56 PM   #909
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I'm definitely not buying this upscaled SD release of Season 2.
What upscaled SD release?
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:56 PM   #910
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Startrek.com has an article about the second season release here: http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-...son-two-part-1

It doesn't acknowledge any of the issues we've been focusing on here, but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Is that pre-viz/test shot of Nagellum?! It looks fucking terrifying!

EDIT: Um, I really hope this is an unfinished shot.

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse.../BorgSlice.jpg

Ignoring the fact that it's missing the cutting/tractor beam (twice, the green from the main tractor and the yellow from the slice tractor), it also shows where the specially built close up model doesn't quite fill the screen as we can see it's just a floating piece of the saucer in nothing. Also, it's stupidly bright. AND it shows the cut off decals! It just says "prise" and "701-D".

It has to be a pre-viz/WIP right? But why is the smoke there? Oh god, please please please don't be a finished article. That's the money shot for the entire season ffs. It's got to just be a shot from the documentary showing off pre-vis. It's got to be. No one can be that incompetent.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:07 PM   #911
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I'm definitely not buying this upscaled SD release of Season 2.
You have the right to buy or not buy, of course... but lets not spread misinformation. There is no evidence that any primary elements were upscaled from standard definition. What we are seeing are compositing errors and a slight lack of definition -- but nothing that would indicate interpolation from a lower source.

The explosion element in the shot from "Peak Performance" where the Enterprise fires a torpedo at the Hathaway *may* have been upconverted from a lower source... but we need to see the shot in motion to know for sure. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything unambiguous that would lead me to believe that HTV was doing that sort of thing.
Old November 27 2012, 11:10 PM   #912
trekker670
Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
We have only seen 0.0000000001 percent of the frames
Explain how you know that so exactly - I don't see no points on your ears boy.
Actually, we've seen more of the episode than that.

By my calculations there are approximately 1,458,084 frames, give or take a few hundred, in S2 (22 x 46 minute episodes + 13 minutes of new footage @ 24 fps) and I've seen around 80 screencaps from the blurays, therefore, I believe 0.0000549% is more accurate.

Dac wrote: View Post
Startrek.com has an article about the second season release here: http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-...son-two-part-1

It doesn't acknowledge any of the issues we've been focusing on here, but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Is that pre-viz/test shot of Nagellum?! It looks fucking terrifying!
I think it's pretty apparent that it's a test shot, given that A) it's in the section talking about the VAM and B) it still has all the markings from the post-production process.

Ignoring the fact that it's missing the cutting/tractor beam (twice, the green from the main tractor and the yellow from the slice tractor), it also shows where the specially built close up model doesn't quite fill the screen as we can see it's just a floating piece of the saucer in nothing. Also, it's stupidly bright. AND it shows the cut off decals! It just says "prise" and "701-D".

It has to be a pre-viz/WIP right? But why is the smoke there? Oh god, please please please don't be a finished article. That's the money shot for the entire season ffs. It's got to just be a shot from the documentary showing off pre-vis. It's got to be. No one can be that incompetent.
Again, given that the picture is inserted in the quote about the VAM, I'm going to assume that the shot is from one of the bonus features.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:13 PM   #913
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

I'm almost entirely sure that it's just imagery from the production process. Otherwise, "Where Silence Has Lease" will become the single most frightening episode of Star Trek ever, even surpassing "The Thaw." I'm probably going to have nightmares after seeing that uncompleted Nagilum still.
Old November 27 2012, 11:19 PM   #914
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well if nothing else, it's encouraging that they DO read the reviews. So it's almost certain they'll see the criticisms of the S2 effects one way or another.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:21 PM   #915
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Double post
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote