RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,384
Posts: 5,357,660
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 561
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 27 2012, 03:00 PM   #886
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post


I've defended a lot about this release, but that is truly pathetic. Is there no one working there to actually check the finished shots before calling them done?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:07 PM   #887
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Tosk wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post


I've defended a lot about this release, but that is truly pathetic. Is there no one working there to actually check the finished shots before calling them done?
This isn't that remarkable. The Enterprise is after all capable of travelling faster than light.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:53 PM   #888
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Tosk wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post


I've defended a lot about this release, but that is truly pathetic. Is there no one working there to actually check the finished shots before calling them done?
It seems to me a lot of the shots we have seen might be misaligned, if only slightly. None of the S2 shots of the Enterprise I have seen have lit windows that look as crisp as they do in S1.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 06:39 PM   #889
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Beatnik wrote: View Post
It seems that there's pretty firm agreement now that the exterior shots by HTV in Season 2 don't match up to the quality that CBS-D put out in Season 1 (and I agree). I think it's in their best interest to address this (somehow) in seasons 4 and 6.

That said, episodes are more than exterior shots; they're - what - 10% of an episode, if that?

Everything else about season 2 seems gravy. All of the interior shots look fantastic, as far as I can tell. Color and resolution looks as good as we can ask for. Let's assume no major audio issues. Plus we get the extended Measure of a Man, gag reel, the cast roundtable, etc, etc.

It sucks that the exterior stuff doesn't match up - it really does. But it's still friggin TNG, a show many of us grew up with, in HD!! The stories, dialogue, characters are all still here, which is why we keep watching it, right??
100% agree. People need to relax a little and look at the bigger picture.
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 06:43 PM   #890
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

^ I normally prefer a glass-half-full perspective as well, but I disagree here because this is a noteworthy regression in quality. We're just not getting the same quality product, for the same price (although the magnificent, and arguably improved extras compensate to a degree; major cheers for the extras team). You know, I'd have paid $200 for S1 if they asked for that, it's not about the amount in the absolute sense - but coming back and asking the same price again for an inferior product is not OK. I'm still going to buy, and of course I'll make the best of it while watching it, but I'm definitely frustrated.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 07:56 PM   #891
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Sho wrote: View Post
^ I normally prefer a glass-half-full perspective as well, but I disagree here because this is a noteworthy regression in quality. We're just not getting the same quality product, for the same price (although the magnificent, and arguably improved extras compensate to a degree; major cheers for the extras team). You know, I'd have paid $200 for S1 if they asked for that, it's not about the amount in the absolute sense - but coming back and asking the same price again for an inferior product is not OK. I'm still going to buy, and of course I'll make the best of it while watching it, but I'm definitely frustrated.
I agree. The sloppiness we're seeing here is not cool
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 07:57 PM   #892
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Wow, that shot is embarrassing. Incompetent, even.

When doing the replacement program for season 1, CBS threw in a new disc 5 just to replace a missing phaser shot, so there is every reason for them to reissue the disc with the corrected effect.

CBS is now 0 for 2 in their releases. They made it right with season 1. Will they do it again with season 2? I doubt it.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:10 PM   #893
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
CBS is now 0 for 2 in their releases. They made it right with season 1. Will they do it again with season 2? I doubt it.
Well, HTV did the effects for Season 2. It's pretty clear CBS (parent company) made a huge mistake rushing the releases and farming out the Season to HTV.

They need to let CBS-Digital have the time they need to work on the remaining Seasons on their own. No more hatchet jobs from HTV.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:15 PM   #894
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Weren't the audio errors caused by outsourcing the authoring of the Blu-rays? I think I heard that the sampler was authored in-house, hence why EaF was correct on the sampler, and messed up on the season disc. I don't think CBS ever officially stated what the cause was (and what they would do to prevent it in the future).

If so, then CBS has definitely not learned their lesson trusting outside companies to take care of their products.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:18 PM   #895
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
They need to let CBS-Digital have the time they need to work on the remaining Seasons on their own. No more hatchet jobs from HTV.
Yes, just slow down. I'm more than happy to wait if it means maintaining the quality of these releases - and I'm fairly certain the majority of fans would agree. CBS, the fans - and their wallets - will still be there if you take a little longer.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:21 PM   #896
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

What I don't understand is, if time constraints were such an issue, why not reuse all the applicable work that CBS-D did? Isn't that how it was done originally? Did they really redo every effects pass on stock footage each episode? Blur it up, add Curry's touch to it, whatever. It would have saved weeks of work simply porting over all the ILM work which was the majority of shots of the Enterprise, leaving time for much-needed QC. They practically started from scratch on everything. So instead of using superior effects, they waste weeks on inferior effects. It doesn't add up.

I'm relieved to learn (from TrekCore) that the opening credits were ported straight from season 1. Based on what I've seen, I would expected HTV to redo those too, but gladly that is not the case.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:31 PM   #897
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
They need to let CBS-Digital have the time they need to work on the remaining Seasons on their own. No more hatchet jobs from HTV.
Yes, just slow down.
Maybe CBS is afraid that sales will sufferly if they release these sets yearly?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:32 PM   #898
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Weren't the audio errors caused by outsourcing the authoring of the Blu-rays? I think I heard that the sampler was authored in-house, hence why EaF was correct on the sampler, and messed up on the season disc. I don't think CBS ever officially stated what the cause was (and what they would do to prevent it in the future).

If so, then CBS has definitely not learned their lesson trusting outside companies to take care of their products.
Unfortunately, it was the other way around. The sampler was authored by another company and the first season was authored inhouse.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:34 PM   #899
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Weren't the audio errors caused by outsourcing the authoring of the Blu-rays? I think I heard that the sampler was authored in-house, hence why EaF was correct on the sampler, and messed up on the season disc. I don't think CBS ever officially stated what the cause was (and what they would do to prevent it in the future).

If so, then CBS has definitely not learned their lesson trusting outside companies to take care of their products.
I believe it was actually the opposite in this case: CBS authored season 1, instead of outsourcing it to a company that specialized in the authoring like they did the sampler. I believe a member here and/or in the bluray.com forums worked for the company that authored the sampler and he pointed out some aspects that CBS should have done better in authoring (to improve quality and such) S1 that would have been done if an experienced company did it.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:44 PM   #900
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Well, there goes that theory...

So season 1 was messed up because they didn't outsource it to experts, and season 2 was messed up because they outsourced it to non-experts. Sigh.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.