New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 7 2012, 08:11 AM   #556
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Nice healthy amount of grain in that new footage. I like it. Looks just like S1. Certain shots in the S2 trailer on the S1 set were quite heavily DNR'd:

Much prefer the less grainy ones. Same thing I do to photos.
Wait till you see the actual screencap from the Blu-ray! That trailer was only 720p and its bitrate only peaked at around 5000 kilobits per second. The blu-ray will be 1080p and should be about 5 times that bitrate!

Many modern HDTVs have a digital noise reduction setting in the menu that you can turn on if you prefer. I think Blu-rays should preserve as much of the original high frequency detail as possible.
Old November 7 2012, 01:29 PM   #557
MickJo1701
Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
Nice healthy amount of grain in that new footage. I like it. Looks just like S1. Certain shots in the S2 trailer on the S1 set were quite heavily DNR'd:

Much prefer the less grainy ones. Same thing I do to photos.
Wait till you see the actual screencap from the Blu-ray! That trailer was only 720p and its bitrate only peaked at around 5000 kilobits per second. The blu-ray will be 1080p and should be about 5 times that bitrate!

Many modern HDTVs have a digital noise reduction setting in the menu that you can turn on if you prefer. I think Blu-rays should preserve as much of the original high frequency detail as possible.
Agreed, Why rescan the original reels of film and clean them up only to apply DNR and loose all the fine detail and clarity. effectively making them look like the poor, video edited masters we've been watching for 25 years. Data looks god awful in the DNR cap.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:39 PM   #558
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, that new Peak Performance shot looks freakin fantastic.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 12:41 AM   #559
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm actually not sold on it. It looks like one of Forbin's kitbash PhotoShopped images. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in motion.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 12:58 AM   #560
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I'm actually not sold on it. It looks like one of Forbin's kitbash PhotoShopped images. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in motion.
I kind of have to agree. It certainly looks acceptable, but in my opinion the compositing is below the standards set by CBS Digital. The Hathaway is too bright and doesn't look integrated. The explosion element is cut off at the top and it looks as if they used an SD source for it and anisotropically diffused it to make it look higher quality than it really was. The edge of the planet is too drastically blurred. They are also not matching film grain.

Here's an example of what I think could have made it just a little better (mouse over to see my take):

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/156851
Old November 8 2012, 01:54 AM   #561
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Yeah, the Hathaway shot is pretty bad, although it's a mix of the model not being given some lining on the back to accentuate the details, the poor lighting, and the explosion element. Definitely not up to par with CBS Digital's work.
Old November 8 2012, 08:48 AM   #562
LtChange
Commander

The problem is that it might look better in motion. Many time I saw bad screen captures just to realize that when in motion is absolutely astonishing ... So let's wait and see
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 01:26 PM   #563
NewHorizon
Captain

LtChange wrote: View Post
The problem is that it might look better in motion. Many time I saw bad screen captures just to realize that when in motion is absolutely astonishing ... So let's wait and see
Unfortunately, the work we have seen from the outsourced company has been below the quality of similar shots by cbs. Establishing shots using the same footage haven't measured up even. They really need to let CBS handle all of the compositing...or at the very least have someone at CBS give everything a consistency pass.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 04:38 PM   #564
Flake
Commodore

the glimpses of s2 sfx are not looking good thus far imho... gonna be a lot of nitpicking around for s2 !
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 06:22 PM   #565
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well the DVDs looked so awful that even this "subpar" work still looks pretty fantastic to me.

BTW, Trekmovie has a cool new shot from Time's Squared as well.
Old November 8 2012, 06:36 PM   #566
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Well, that Trekmovie shot is painfully obvious about the fact the 2 footer was used. I would've rather had the CG Enterprise there.
Old November 8 2012, 06:40 PM   #567
M
Vice Admiral

Both the shots from "Peak Performance" and "Time Squared" look very cool, especially the latter. I have nothing to complain.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 07:29 PM   #568
davejames
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Well, that Trekmovie shot is painfully obvious about the fact the 2 footer was used. I would've rather had the CG Enterprise there.
Yeah it definitely stands out more, but I've always thought that model looked kind of cool from the front anyway, so I can live with it.
Old November 8 2012, 11:30 PM   #569
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it definitely stands out more, but I've always thought that model looked kind of cool from the front anyway, so I can live with it.
This shot (i.e. the 2-foot miniature) doesn't bother me so much... except for the visible matte line around the ship -- which is a little inexplicable considering this new shot was digitally composited using original elements, not optically composited.

Still looks leagues better than the crappy NTSC composite.
Old November 9 2012, 12:08 AM   #570
Ghostface1701
Commander

davejames wrote: View Post
This shot (i.e. the 2-foot miniature) doesn't bother me so much... except for the visible matte line around the ship -- which is a little inexplicable considering this new shot was digitally composited using original elements, not optically composited.

Still looks leagues better than the crappy NTSC composite.
Very true, but so would an upscaled transfer, like the example we saw on the Season 1 set. At some point though, we have to say that this isn't up to the standards we now expect from TNG HD. Having said that, I can probably live with everything I've seen so far.

It's such a relief though that CBS-D is working on Season 3.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote