Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 17 2014, 02:15 PM   #2146
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Well I finally found some time to watch a few S2 episodes last night. I watched The Schizoid Man first and this is the first episode where I really noticed just how bad a job HTV did. There's a scene between Data and Graves where they cut back and forth between the two that is just awful. When the shot is on Data there is a lot of film grain but when they cut to Graves it is DNRed all to hell. I can only assume it is because of the computer graphics F/X they needed to add and that they couldn't be bothered to try and add grain to match.

The planets were equally disappointing. I am really glad that they didn't get any more work after this season.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 06:39 AM   #2147
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Are you sure it was DNRed? I don't have the season set, so I can't comment on the shot in question, but ias it possible one of the shots actually was grainier than the other? There's a shot in one of the Alien Nation movies which cuts back and forth from Sikes behind the wheel of his car to George in the passenger seat. The mismatch in film grain was really evident. Kenneth Johnson even mentioned how bad it was during the DVD commentary. One shot was nothing but grain, the other clean.
Old August 18 2014, 07:16 AM   #2148
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It's not DNR, it's just inconsistent grain. That happens all through the season. The ones with bad DNR are ones like Measure of a Man (conference room with Maddox) and The Dauphin (when the girl beams out as a pillar of light).
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 11:50 AM   #2149
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The scene where Data talks to a sitting Graves does mismatch pretty badly from what I recall...the footage of Graves is very soft (even the focus) compared to the Data shots.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 11:54 PM   #2150
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Yeah, it's all down to the what was on the original negative. They were working with very grainy film stock that had a short lifespan.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 07:36 PM   #2151
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

In the shots with Graves there is an animated computer terminal in the background which is what led me to believe DNR was used as I seem to recall that a common complaint about HTV was that they used a lot of DNR when they added F/X to a live action shot.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 07:50 PM   #2152
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
In the shots with Graves there is an animated computer terminal in the background which is what led me to believe DNR was used as I seem to recall that a common complaint about HTV was that they used a lot of DNR when they added F/X to a live action shot.
That appears to have been on-set, and not an added element.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_113.jpg
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 06:02 AM   #2153
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Now that I'm up to date with TNG on Blu Ray (Leaving Descent till I get season 7), I've gone back to listen to the audio commentaries. There was some great stuff in Season 2, but man I kind of wish they would stop interviewing Dan Curry. I find him somewhat boring and it made for the Q Who commentary (Which should have been very interesting) into something very mundane. I did like that they talked to Rob Bowman, especailly after I've just seen the entire X Files series and he was significantly involved in that. As for the commentary for Measure of a Man, Snodgrass was very interesting. I loved that they included the commentary on the extended edition because she had some really great stuff to tell, especially her thoughts on TNG compared to Star Trek.

If there is a missed opportunity to these sets, it was the lack of extended episodes. For example, I just saw Rightful Heir and there were so many deleted scenes in that episode. They should have just reinserted those deleted scenes and made it another extended edition. That's why you have a format like blu ray. It isn't just putting the series into HD, even though that's really important, it's putting all that other stuff back into it and really going Behind the scenes of the show or movie.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2014, 04:02 PM   #2154
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Amazon UK - Season 2 - £17.00 GBP (approx. 27.00 USD, excl. shipping - region-free!)

As reported by Trekcore, many Star Trek blu-ray sets are currently reduced on Amazon.co.uk. I have no idea if this is temporary or permanent, but I thought it worth sharing.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2014, 09:21 PM   #2155
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Are you on commission?
Old October 4 2014, 12:00 AM   #2156
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

No, but I'm open to offers!
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote