RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,421
Posts: 5,506,573
Members: 25,129
Currently online: 483
Newest member: Talosian1978

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17 2012, 03:21 AM   #166
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Warped9 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.
I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.
I agree lets keep the crap on season 2....

Seriously I loved the new Trek film with a few minor issues that I hated. But thats abetter average then all but i TOS film, and all but one TNG film. So out of the gate I was exceedingly pleased by the new Trek.

When I think of the huge hit and miss ratio of the first two years of TNG, or the third season of TOS, I can't realistically be overly hard on the new film, even with the issues I did have with it.

But back on this set, I can't wait to see the show has it did improve not so much in plot (which was still in many cases poor), but it character. With the actors and writers getting a better feel for the characters, it really shows.

Add to that a general production team that has learned a lot from the efforts of the previous year, and it shows.

Luckily Trek has always been a show where I celebrate what I like over what I don't. I never would have fallen in love with TOS in the late 60's very early 70's if that wasn't the case.

But I think I am in general far more critical of entertainment then what I see of a lot of posters (seriously what the hell is an A+, never in my life have I had a teacher or professor award that grade, and seriously no Trek has ever been 100% perfect, thats just laughable).
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:25 AM   #167
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

mswood wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.
I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.
I agree lets keep the crap on season 2....
Agree to greatly disagree. "The Measure Of A Man' and "Q, Who?" two of my favoured Trek episodes.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:01 AM   #168
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Any word on when they are going to do the theater showing for selected two episodes of season two TNG? Probably few days before the Bluray release like season one?

Sadly, I missed the season one special showing.

I still have my doubts they are going to show The Measure of a Man as one of the episodes. It is a great episode, but not something that would be enhanced much being on the big screen. I can see the kids in the audience not enjoying a court episode all that much.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:08 AM   #169
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
Any word on when they are going to do the theater showing for selected two episodes of season two TNG? Probably few days before the Bluray release like season one?

Sadly, I missed the season one special showing.

I still have my doubts they are going to show The Measure of a Man as one of the episodes. It is a great episode, but not something that would be enhanced much being on the big screen. I can see the kids in the audience not enjoying a court episode all that much.

Gotta do Q Who
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:09 AM   #170
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Warped9 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.
I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.
Would you be happier if they only released a making of preview for STXII on a seperate dvd and packaged it with the TNG BR set? That way, people that are interested in the next movie can watch/keep it while those that don't can easily discard it.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:15 AM   #171
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

mswood wrote: View Post
When I think of the huge hit and miss ratio of the first two years of TNG, or the third season of TOS, I can't realistically be overly hard on the new film, even with the issues I did have with it.
The best part of season two is Riker growing the beard. He looked so much better without the baby face!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 05:52 AM   #172
Rory1080p
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Somerset, England
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

can't wait, it releases here in the UK 2 days before my birthday the borg in HD
Rory1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 11:03 PM   #173
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Warped9 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.
I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't ******* stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.
It would be cool to see the new trailer on the set---but only if it was on the first disc. Nothing like what was done with the TOS Movie Blu-Ray set where each disc opened with the exact same trailer---I could at least understand if it was just on the discs for Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan, The Voyage Home & Undiscovered Country (since those have been released seperately), but all 6 was tooo much.

I would say that the best episode of Season 2 was The Outrageous Okona! "I'm annoyed because you're a droid!"
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:25 AM   #174
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Warped9 wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.
I agree lets keep the crap on season 2....
Agree to greatly disagree. "The Measure Of A Man' and "Q, Who?" two of my favoured Trek episodes.
Those are two great episodes of TNG, no question and the best two episodes up to that point of TNG. But in no way shape or form do those two episodes represent the average quality of season two. It would be like saying Shades of Grey and Manhunt represent the quality of season two.
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 05:18 AM   #175
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

mswood wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
I agree lets keep the crap on season 2....
Agree to greatly disagree. "The Measure Of A Man' and "Q, Who?" two of my favoured Trek episodes.
Those are two great episodes of TNG, no question and the best two episodes up to that point of TNG. But in no way shape or form do those two episodes represent the average quality of season two. It would be like saying Shades of Grey and Manhunt represent the quality of season two.
I liked "Manhunt."
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 09:08 PM   #176
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I really like season 2 overall. I think it's a lot better than season 1 or the later seasons.

In fact I'd probably put it right behind season 3 and 4 as far as my overall favorites. The highs are really high, and there's only a few lows that are really low. (outrageous okona, shades of gray, up the long ladder, the child i'm lookin at you)

Matter of Honor, Q Who, Measure of a Man, Where Silence has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared, Pen Pals, The Emmisary, Peak Performance are all favorites of mine. Even most of the lesser episodes of season 2 aren't that bad.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 20 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:31 PM   #177
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
I really like season 2 overall. I think it's a lot better than season 1 or the later seasons.

In fact I'd probably put it right behind season 3 and 4 as far as my overall favorites. The highs are really high, and there's only a few lows that are really low. (outrageous okona, shades of gray, up the long ladder, the child i'm lookin at you)

Matter of Honor, Q Who, Measure of a Man, Where Silence has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared, Pen Pals, The Emmisary, Peak Performance are all favorites of mine. Even most of the lesser episodes of season 2 aren't that bad.
Agree 100%, and it also had some really high-concept sci-fi in "Contagon", "Time Squared", and "WSHL" as well as retaining a more adventurous feel than in some of the later seasons.
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 02:11 AM   #178
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
I really like season 2 overall. I think it's a lot better than season 1 or the later seasons.

In fact I'd probably put it right behind season 3 and 4 as far as my overall favorites. The highs are really high, and there's only a few lows that are really low. (outrageous okona, shades of gray, up the long ladder, the child i'm lookin at you)

Matter of Honor, Q Who, Measure of a Man, Where Silence has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared, Pen Pals, The Emmisary, Peak Performance are all favorites of mine. Even most of the lesser episodes of season 2 aren't that bad.
Agree 100%, and it also had some really high-concept sci-fi in "Contagon", "Time Squared", and "WSHL" as well as retaining a more adventurous feel than in some of the later seasons.
Where Silence Has Lease, Contagion, The Royale, Time Squared are all episodes that have concepts I like, but I only would grade Contagion has even a C, the others below that. But in fact there is a lot of season two like that for me, things that have interesting concepts, but whose execution isn't strong in my opinion. I wold also had Loud as a Whisper (interesting idea, poor final product), Up the Long Ladder (again like the basic idea behind it, but hate the execution.

2nd season I love Q-Who and Measure of a Man 5 Stars in my Book (basically Great Trek).
Chain of Command 4 Stars
Elementary Dear Data good 3.5 Stars
Peak Performance, Pen Pals, Emissary 3.0 Stars
Only shows I would consider above average

Contagion, The Dauphin (I liked the Wesley part the most, go figure), THe Schizoid Man 2.5 stars (average)

THe rest below average
Where Silence Has Lease, Time Squared 2 Stars
The Child, Unnatural Selection, Icarus Factor, Up The Long Ladder 1.5 stars
THe OUtrageous Okona, Loud as a Whisper, The Royale, Samaritan S7are, Man hunt 1.0 stars
Shades of Gray half a star (if I am in a good mood).

So 12 dislike (of which 7 I really, really dislike), 3 I find to be average, 7 I think are better then average (with two classics in the mix).

So while this is an improvement over season one, its more misses for me then hits. But I do like a lot of the improvements the show did make.

And again, Trek is one of teh few shows where I love it even when I think its doing poor work. Celebrate the wins, and enjoy the moments or small bits in the episodes I dislike.

All most all other shows I would never watch with scores lie this (certainly not watch dozens upon dozens of times).
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 06:45 AM   #179
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Chain of Command was the Season 6 two parter. Did you mean another episode?
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 07:01 AM   #180
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Chain of Command was the Season 6 two parter. Did you mean another episode?
I think mswood meant A Matter of Honor. It was the only episode she didn't mention in her post and it WAS a pretty good episode.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.