Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 11 2012, 11:58 PM   #151
SoM
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

senten wrote: View Post
What are the chances this could be a never before seen episode?
If you mean a filmed, live-action episode... zero. They underdelivered for S2 because of the strike/budget problems (they were meant to deliver 26 episodes, like every other season, and only managed 22. Including "Shades of Gray"). If they'd filmed another episode, it would have gone out.

At a stretch, I suppose some sort of storyboard/reading of an unmade script might be possible. That's the limit though.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:32 AM   #152
mswood
Rear Admiral

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Wasn't one destroyed at the beginning of Season 3?
One was destroyed at the end of DS9's Season 2, yeah.

Yeah it was the Season 2 finale "The Jem Hadar." If you guys have never seen it, it's a pretty chilling scene. I think it's somewhere on Youtube too.
Now that I want to see Restored in HD. In fact, thinks to the work of TNG (finding ways to get more, with model work) DS9 really came to life with far, more fluid ship shots, add that to its great set (sorry I just never was that excited about the set of TNG), makes me drool over the possibility of one day this happening to DS9.
Old September 12 2012, 03:34 AM   #153
mswood
Rear Admiral

BY the way what do we think is going to be "the extra special" part of the season two release (I mean seriously Measure of a Man is it for me, but I mean what haven't they told us)?

And does it have to be from TNG? The reason I say that is its expected for the latest Trek film to have its first bit of footage released somewhere around that time.

They wouldn't be teasing that would they? Not that I don't want that, but its really not related to TNG.
Old September 12 2012, 03:54 AM   #154
davejames
Vice Admiral

It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.

One other possibility is an alternate cut of Q,Who (or some other episode) with more elaborate effects sequences... but I imagine something like that would have already been announced in the press release.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:14 AM   #155
Dream
Admiral

SoM wrote: View Post
If you mean a filmed, live-action episode... zero. They underdelivered for S2 because of the strike/budget problems (they were meant to deliver 26 episodes, like every other season, and only managed 22. Including "Shades of Gray"). If they'd filmed another episode, it would have gone out.
"Shades of Gray" was written to save time and money as a result of the writers' strike of 1988. It was shot in only three days, while most take at least a week. Director Rob Bowman commented, "It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium."
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:20 AM   #156
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

In the S1 BD retrospective the show's makers pretty much say they did just that, they went over budget on episode occasionally but then made it up by the end of the season by doing bottle episodes. But SoG was more due to a WGA strike and just not having material.

And I think it's a bit much to say that that piece of shit was "written."
Old September 12 2012, 01:11 PM   #157
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

mswood wrote: View Post
BY the way what do we think is going to be "the extra special" part of the season two release (I mean seriously Measure of a Man is it for me, but I mean what haven't they told us)?

And does it have to be from TNG? The reason I say that is its expected for the latest Trek film to have its first bit of footage released somewhere around that time.

They wouldn't be teasing that would they? Not that I don't want that, but its really not related to TNG.
Measure of a Man is special, of course, but the part I'm hinting at is special in a totally different way. And yes, it's from TNG.
Old September 12 2012, 01:12 PM   #158
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.

One other possibility is an alternate cut of Q,Who (or some other episode) with more elaborate effects sequences... but I imagine something like that would have already been announced in the press release.
Don't get your hopes up for alternate cuts of full episodes with additional effects sequences. That sort of thing costs a LOT of money - more than the project has available to it.
Old September 12 2012, 01:15 PM   #159
Sho
Fleet Captain

Can you give us the timeframe of when we might learn what it is?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:20 PM   #160
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
Can you give us the timeframe of when we might learn what it is?
I know CBS are working on a full press release which should be published in the coming weeks. Beyond that, I can't say I'm afraid.

I hope to be publishing my interview with CBS Digital soon, and that contains several hints ;-)
Old September 12 2012, 01:22 PM   #161
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ Thanks!
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 02:03 AM   #162
Jonesy
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I'm not saying it invalidates it, I'm just saying that even though he created Star trek, he wasn't good for it. Imagine if DC Fontana and David Gerrold were able to work on the show without Gene and his lawyer always butting in and telling them what to do and what not to do. Michael Piller always described this situation as "Gene's Box", where as long as you work under Gene, you have to abide by his rules of Star Trek. They basically amounted to "Humanity is perfect and there is no conflict. Now go create drama."
I see this criticism leveled a lot, and while it's very valid, what Piller did say is that he had to create drama outside of the main cast, which he and the writers did. While it's unconventional writing to say the least, it still worked.
Old September 17 2012, 02:11 AM   #163
NewHorizon
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=Jonesy;6972100]
Jeyl wrote: View Post
I see this criticism leveled a lot, and while it's very valid, what Piller did say is that he had to create drama outside of the main cast, which he and the writers did. While it's unconventional writing to say the least, it still worked.
Indeed...and Pillar also said in one interview that what Gene was trying to do was push the creativity of the writers. He appreciated after initially feeling hand cuffed. He realized it was forcing him to think in new ways and not be lazy.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:06 AM   #164
Warped9
Admiral

I seriously hope not. I like Season 2 TNG. I can't fucking stand JJ-drek. Let's keep good and crap apart.

Eminently more preferable than anything to do with anything JJ.

Last edited by Warped9; September 17 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:20 AM   #165
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Either would be awesome