RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,181
Posts: 5,598,724
Members: 25,397
Currently online: 629
Newest member: OldManDoom

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 21 2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Captain
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

I always thought Conspiracy was one of the best episodes and I'm surprised they never did a sequel episode in later TNG seasons or in DS9/VOY, even a ENT prequel, or even given it the Space Seed treatment as a TNG movie . Ok they couldn't do it after FC as that was a sequel to an ep and had horror elements, but maybe they could've done it instead of NEMESIS. Star Trek does Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Hard PG13 horror (even more than FC) with eeriness like the IOTBS 1978 remake, and Alien/Khan level gore etc.

Then again I guess not having done a follow up has left the aliens steeped in mystery (like the Space Jockey pre Prometheus)

Last edited by Khan 2.0; February 21 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 01:44 PM   #2
inflatabledalek
Captain
 
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

I've read claims the original intent was the bugs would be connected to the new big bad intended for season 2 that The Neutral Zone also set up, but as the original concept of big space insects got changed so drastically (and the writer's strike knocking everything for six anyway) to a different sort of hive mind the link was lost. I've no idea how reliable that is though.
__________________
TRANSFORMATION: ????????????????????????????
It's Death's Head Vs. a Surprise villain in my look at issue 146!
inflatabledalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Count
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 02:27 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

There's a part of me that's glad that "Conspiracy" didn't get a follow-up because I think it wouldn't have been as good--and even further installments might have led to "dwindling returns." Sometimes less is more, IMO.
Khan 2.0 wrote:
Then again I guess not having done a follow up has left the aliens steeped in mystery
If only that philosophy had been applied to the Borg...
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Reaper63
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Northerin NJ
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

I think we were due at least one follow up here. Yes, on the TV budget TNG had it might have been hard to do a Bug World. but another attempt to take over, with a more definite ending would have worked well.

I know the bugs did come back in the Novels though, DS 9 Novels as the Anti Trills I believe.
__________________
Captain
USS Growler
Fleet31.com
Reaper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 09:04 PM   #6
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There's a part of me that's glad that "Conspiracy" didn't get a follow-up because I think it wouldn't have been as good--and even further installments might have led to "dwindling returns." Sometimes less is more, IMO.
Khan 2.0 wrote:
Then again I guess not having done a follow up has left the aliens steeped in mystery
If only that philosophy had been applied to the Borg...
I totally agree with you gents. On the other hand, it is a bit disappointing nevetheless that when some totally fascinating aliens appear, such as the subspace beings in Schisms, they're never seen again.

But again, better the mystery lingers, than the groans of character fatigue...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 04:04 AM   #7
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: Quietly chuckling
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

I've always kind of liked the non-canon followup even though I haven't read the specific books.

__________________

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."


Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
I've read claims the original intent was the bugs would be connected to the new big bad intended for season 2 that The Neutral Zone also set up, but as the original concept of big space insects got changed so drastically (and the writer's strike knocking everything for six anyway) to a different sort of hive mind the link was lost. I've no idea how reliable that is though.
Count wrote: View Post
Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
Yeah, these are pretty much the gist of it. Hurley has said he wanted to create more an arc structure, with lots of episodes referencing other episodes (we see some of this in season one with things like Remmick in "Coming Of Age" back-referencing a bunch of previous episodes, and then "Conspiracy" leaving the origin of the insect creatures a mystery, and then the outpost along the neutral zone being attacked by enemies unknown, with season two explicitly picking up this thread with the Borg, etc). But the writer's strike ended up throwing many of those plans into the wind.

The time anomaly in "Time Squared" was supposed to link directly into "Q Who" as well...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

Count wrote: View Post
Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
Hold on a sec, that's not what I heard. "Conspiracy" was itself a follow-up to "Coming of Age," where Admiral Quinn and Remmick are interviewing the Enterprise crew because of an internal problem within the Federation. The original intent was that members of Starfleet themselves were trying to launch a political coup against the Federation, and there were no little bug aliens stuck in people's necks influencing them. But Roddenberry didn't like that, so when "Conspiracy" came around, this was changed to the bugs. Since the aliens were never supposed to be part of the original intent of the "Coming of Age" angle, they were dropped.

As for the Borg, yes, the original intent was for them to be insect-like which was then changed to humans with cybernetic implants due to budgetary reasons, but I've never heard that they were specifically supposed to be the same bugs from "Conspiracy." If there was a direct quote by Hurley where he says this, I'd like to know.
__________________
Dont believe everything you read on the internet.
Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Count wrote: View Post
Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
Hold on a sec, that's not what I heard. "Conspiracy" was itself a follow-up to "Coming of Age," where Admiral Quinn and Remmick are interviewing the Enterprise crew because of an internal problem within the Federation. The original intent was that members of Starfleet themselves were trying to launch a political coup against the Federation, and there were no little bug aliens stuck in people's necks influencing them. But Roddenberry didn't like that, so when "Conspiracy" came around, this was changed to the bugs. Since the aliens were never supposed to be part of the original intent of the "Coming of Age" angle, they were dropped.

As for the Borg, yes, the original intent was for them to be insect-like which was then changed to humans with cybernetic implants due to budgetary reasons, but I've never heard that they were specifically supposed to be the same bugs from "Conspiracy." If there was a direct quote by Hurley where he says this, I'd like to know.
Hmm, that's actually very true. I've just done a quick search on Google for "the next generation conspiracy aliens borg", and while there are countless fans sites hypothesising the theory that the parasites and the insectoid Borg were meant to be linked before the writer's stike killed it, there is nothing by way of actual hard evidence that this was the intention. It's just possible that this story was one of those suppositions within the fandom which has since taken on a life of it's own.....
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2015, 02:11 AM   #11
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

Count wrote: View Post
Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
I was going to say, but Count beat me to it, that I understand that the Conspiracy Aliens morphed into the Borg over time, but I agree: it's a great episode and a stand out for the First Season.

I thought the Starfleet invasion by aliens and the whole Starfleet paranoia thing was effective, but they ultimately came up short because nothing ever became of it.
__________________
Why do you say this to me? When you know I will kill you for it?
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2015, 04:22 AM   #12
Wingsley
Commodore
 
Wingsley's Avatar
 
Location: Wingsley
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

How ironic that Mr. Roddenberry, who got TNG off the ground in the Reagan era, shot down the notion of a radical offshoot of Starfleet (which would've made "Conspiracy" into a direct commentary on the Iran-Contra Affair, given the timing) but in the early-to-mid 90s, TNG and DS9 would go back to that same well in creating the Maquis.

In all fairness, it is probably best that TNG did not use "Conspiracy" to make a radical offshoot of Starfleet, as the turnover in writers and the lack of overall direction of the show would have made any attempt to show the radical offshoot at work (breaking the Prime Directive, or other Federation laws) would have been too difficult for them to keep on track. We did get to see something vaguely like this pop up with Section 31, but that was never thoroughly explored.
__________________
"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. / The day that you tarry is the day that you lose. / Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder / Where the fair wind blows ..."
-- Lyrics, Jeremiah Johnson's theme.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2015, 04:47 AM   #13
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

The original conception of 'Conspiracy' sounds suspiciously like about a half-dozen different Star Trek episodes since. So even though they didn't get to do it in 1987/88, they certainly did much later on (particularly DS9's "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost").
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Khan 2.0
Captain
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Count wrote: View Post
Maurice Hurley claimed in interviews that the conspiracy aliens eventually became the Borg, because showing the insect-like alien race was apparently too expensive.
I was going to say, but Count beat me to it, that I understand that the Conspiracy Aliens morphed into the Borg over time, but I agree: it's a great episode and a stand out for the First Season.

I thought the Starfleet invasion by aliens and the whole Starfleet paranoia thing was effective, but they ultimately came up short because nothing ever became of it.
it definitely could've done with a follow up the way QWho got BOBW (but not the rest). But the fact its a standalone maybe makes it even more effective/eerie... I remember being genuinely scared watching it in 88 or thereabouts (ok I was fairly young), it wasn't just the grossness of the aliens (in fact back then I only saw the UK TV version with the Scanners/bodyburster ending heavily edited) it was more the general feeling of unease/dread throughout, the eerie score, certain scenes - the opening meet up, Walkers ship being revealed to have blown up (later Contagion would have a similar shocking ship destruction. In fact that's another fairly scary underrated episode), Data revelations in the conference room and the scary implications of how SF got infiltrated like that, Riker vs superQuinn (especially liked Rikers fight training coming into play there delivering two vicious head kicks that would ordinarily put someone down but have no effect) , the neck scene in sickbay, and of course the end banquet scene (which felt abit Texas Chainsaw), leading to the shocking Scanners meets Alien ending. And then the open ending..

Basically Trek does Body Snatchers/Alien with a dash of TWOKs eel stuff (I was surprised it got rated PG when the unedited version came out on video, was expecting it to be 15 like TWOK)

Last edited by Khan 2.0; February 23 2015 at 03:32 PM.
Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2015, 04:14 AM   #15
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Why didnt Conspiracy get a follow up?

They should've connected them to the aliens in "Schisms".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.