Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 5 2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

Sigourney Weaver talks Alien 5... again...

http://collider.com/alien-sequel-sig...Sc7KcKvLtrF.99

I feel after going to a couple of these Comic Cons and meeting so many fans who are so passionate about the series, passionate about Ripley — that there’s more story to tell; but I don’t know how to do that. I don’t think Alien belongs on Earth popping out of a haystack, which is where I was afraid it was going to go. I feel it should take place in the far reaches of the universe where no one in their right mind would go. There are very few filmmakers that I can think of that I would want to entrust this to. But I can think of a couple… I feel there’s a longing in certain groups of fans when I meet them for the story to be finished because we really left it up in the air and I feel a bit badly about that because I was part of that decision making process. I didn’t want to make four and five in a bundle. I think it’s hard to make these films all in a big lump. You need time to sort of let things resonate so I can imagine a situation where we could at least finish telling her story. I think that would be very satisfying at least to me — although I haven’t done anything about it; but I can understand why that could happen and I certainly know young filmmakers who are interested in doing that. So we’ll just have to see what happens.
I think it would be great to have another proper Alien movie but Sigourney is 64 and I don't know how it would work. I always felt five would be a good number to have and Alien Resurrection didn't really finish the story as neatly as it could.
Old June 5 2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Sigourney Weaver talks Alien 5... again...

This would have been amazing ten years ago but I'd be much more interested in Prometheus 2 than in Alien 5. I want to learn more about the Engineers, not just see more Xenomorphs jumping out at people.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Candlelight
Admiral

I would rather have Alien 5 than Prometheus 2* but that's me. The saga needs a decent ending.

(* It'll need a new title considering 'Prometheus' won't be in the second film).
Old June 5 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral

They could always go down the Superman Returns route and simply ignore the last two Alien films. Set it 30 or so years after Aliens.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'd actually be interested in a Ripley-8 film that doesn't directly involve the xenomorphs. The scenario has been pretty well played out IMO. Maybe Joss Whedon would like to come back and finish what he started *his* way?
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

^^

All the beloved characters are brutally murdered?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
^^

All the beloved characters are brutally murdered?
Did you not see Alien 3? They're all dead already.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I would rather have Alien 5 than Prometheus 2* but that's me. The saga needs a decent ending.
The Alien saga had a decent ending. It was the second movie Aliens.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 05:32 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr Light wrote: View Post
This would have been amazing ten years ago but I'd be much more interested in Prometheus 2 than in Alien 5. I want to learn more about the Engineers, not just see more Xenomorphs jumping out at people.
What better way to end the Alien saga than to bring Ripley to the planet that originally created the Xenomorphs?!

I'm sure it's too late for that kind of story, and it would seem pretty fan-wanky at this point, but if they had actually planned for it, it would have been neat to see Prometheus have a more direct connection to the Alien universe.
Old June 5 2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Would time travel be too zany for the Alien universe?

They could show Ripley 8 being rejected from the rest of humanity and chased off the planet.
She somehow ends up on the original architect world in the past and becomes the progenitor for them, making this whole story a closed loop time paradox. XD
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 05:41 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
Would time travel be too zany for the Alien universe?

They could show Ripley 8 being rejected from the rest of humanity and chased off the planet.
She somehow ends up on the original architect world in the past and becomes the progenitor for them, making this whole story a closed loop time paradox. XD
Way too zany for the Alien universe...but I LOVE IT.

Although, everything we've seen in Alien has required sublight travel, hence all the cryotubes everywhere.

Throw an experimental FTL ship into the mix, an engine malfunction, and BOOM, you've got yourself time travel.
Old June 5 2014, 05:54 PM   #12
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
You'd think that would be logically what the human population of Earth woud do. The final scenes of the last movie shows the spaceship crashing on our planet and the ensuing explosion appeared to be large enough to take out an entire continent.

Regarding Aliens 5 - as others have said, I'm more interested in Prometheus 2.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

I'd make Prometheus 2 (and maybe 3) then Alien 5/next Prometheus as the same movie as a postscript to it all...
Old June 5 2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Marsden
Commander

Yes, there's no reason Prometheus 2 and Alien 5 couldn't be the same movie, they could even make it Predator 4 while they are there.

Aliens: Days of Future Past

The only thing that would matter is if it didn't suck, like most of the Alien movies did. Out of all of them, only the first two were any good. The rest just cashed in on the name.
Old June 5 2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Relayer1
Commodore

Marsden wrote: View Post
The only thing that would matter is if it didn't suck, like most of the Alien movies did. Out of all of them, only the first two were any good. The rest just cashed in on the name.
Four was less bad than the appalling three, but yes.