MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 26 2014, 05:19 AM   #31
maneth
Captain

Re: Are any of the fanmade Trek productions actually good?

I really enjoyed the two STC episodes so far made, as well as the vignettes. I haven't seen Phase II yet, but I intend to. The acting is IMO a bit uneven in STC, but production values certainly equal (if not surpass) TOS.

I also enjoyed Star Wreck, a crossover parody of ST and Babylon 5. It's in Finnish so some people who aren't used to subtitles may be put off, but I have the advantage of being Finnish (as well as used to subtites when I need them). They eventually got a DVD distribution deal from Universal Scandinavia, although that meant redoing most of the CGI to avoid looking exactly like Trek/B5. The production team went pro with Iron Sky, although they thankfully stuck to staying behind the camera. Still, I find that it's easier to get away with bad acting if you do parody.
Old March 26 2014, 03:40 PM   #32
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Moving to Fan Productions.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 05:13 PM   #33
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

maneth wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed the two STC episodes so far made, as well as the vignettes. I haven't seen Phase II yet, but I intend to.
After I finished watching "Lolani," I felt like I'd seen a real TOS episode.

I've seen a couple of the Phase II episodes, and my personal jury is still out. From what I've heard, they're working on "Mind-Sifter" - based on a well-known fanfic that got published in one of the New Voyages anthologies back in the '70s. I hope they do finish it; it's a powerful story.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 08:26 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

Nacluv wrote: View Post
Did anyone else here enjoy Star Trek Continues as much as I did?
My avatar says it all.

I think Star Trek Continues has simply raised the bar to an eerie level.
Old March 27 2014, 04:09 AM   #35
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

I think Continues has set the bar for artistic quality with "Lolani" and that the speed with which they are producing their episodes and vignettes is extremely impressive. Their constant communication with the fan base is also tremendous. "Pilgrim of Eternity" wasn't great but showed promise.

Phase II has had one great episode ("World Enough and Time"); one very good episode ("To Serve All My Days"); a couple okayish episodes; and some really, really rough outings ("Blood and Fire" and "Enemy: Starfleet" come to mind). They also really overdue the references to later-Trek. Still, I admire their dedication and always look forward to watching their new episodes.

The last episode of "Starship Farragut" was pretty good (though the lead still really struggles with his acting and screen presence, in my opinion). And while I didn't think much of "The Savage Empire," Exeter's second outing has been very good so far. Like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting the final act.

"Hidden Frontier" was unwatchable to me in its early seasons, but really grew in all aspects of production over time. I ended up quite enjoying it.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 05:58 AM   #36
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

My favorites are listed here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/1.html
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 06:53 AM   #37
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Nacluv wrote: View Post
I have neither seen nor hardly read anything about the fan productions. But I've become curious about them the latest months, a fact I was reminded of in my TOS fans - What's your second favorite show? thread.

So does anyone here has any experience of those productions?
While it's quite subjective, so far I've seen several fan productions that are excellent, and one in particular gets so close to professional that you can almost taste it.

I'm a big fan of Starship Exeter, Phase II, and Star Trek: Continues, and while they're all great, it's Star Trek: Continues that recently blew the doors off of my expectations for fan film quality.

Ooh, and I seem to be late to the party.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 07:07 AM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

While it's not on the same level as STC I must say I enjoyed Starship Exeter. and I look forward to the conclusion to its last episode.
Old March 27 2014, 07:40 AM   #39
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Warped9 wrote: View Post
While it's not on the same level as STC I must say I enjoyed Starship Exeter. and I look forward to the conclusion to its last episode.
Yeah, I love Exeter, and can't wait for the final episode, which is coming very soon!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:08 AM   #40
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

STC seems to have it's tongue ever-so-slightly in cheek, something which IMHO made TOS so much more awesome than it might have been otherwise.
It's still nowhere near the real thing, but a step above P2 in it's TOSsy vibe.
Timewalker wrote: View Post
maneth wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed the two STC episodes so far made, as well as the vignettes. I haven't seen Phase II yet, but I intend to.
After I finished watching "Lolani," I felt like I'd seen a real TOS episode.

I've seen a couple of the Phase II episodes, and my personal jury is still out. From what I've heard, they're working on "Mind-Sifter" - based on a well-known fanfic that got published in one of the New Voyages anthologies back in the '70s. I hope they do finish it; it's a powerful story.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think P2 have dropped their adaptation of "Mind Sifter", along with their prequel story "Origins"
RCAM wrote:
They also really overdue the references to later-Trek.
Agreed. P2 I think gets lost trying to be part of the "real" Trek continuity, when the very best fanfic stories (IMO, at least) are the ones that ask "what if?" and go in new directions. "To Serve All My Days" was greatly diminished by the "It was all a dream" ending tacked-on, and I was disappointed to see "Kitumba" turned into a TOS-TNG Klingon change explanation rather than an exploration of what the Klingons might have become in the 70's.
Old March 27 2014, 12:05 PM   #41
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I like both P2 and STC for different reasons. I think STC does the best job of capturing the visual "feel" of Star Trek, but I also get a strong 1st Season TNG vibe from the stories. It's hard to explain but it almost feels like someone took a TOS script rewritten for TNG, and rewrote it back to TOS.

James doesn't have quite the same mastery of Kirk's mannerisms as Vic, but the command style and character dynamic on P2 feels closer to the original than on STC.

Your mileage may vary, but that's what I get from these two shows.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 04:23 AM   #42
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think P2 have dropped their adaptation of "Mind Sifter", along with their prequel story "Origins"
Nope, they just scrapped the existing footage and my script for Mind Sifter. James posted on FB that someone else was writing a new script and they planned to film it this June.

The footage for "Origins" has problems that won't allow them to finish it as written. Numerous other options have been discussed - including using it as a "flashback" in another episode, or just starting over again as with Mind Sifter. They haven't announced a decision as to what will ultimately happen with it.
Old March 29 2014, 06:24 AM   #43
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

It really is a shame that they may have to scrap what seem like very promising episodes. That's an awful lot of work. Just one of the hazards of doing fan films I guess.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 07:07 AM   #44
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

andriech wrote: View Post
Nope, they just scrapped the existing footage and my script for Mind Sifter. James posted on FB that someone else was writing a new script and they planned to film it this June.

The footage for "Origins" has problems that won't allow them to finish it as written. Numerous other options have been discussed - including using it as a "flashback" in another episode, or just starting over again as with Mind Sifter. They haven't announced a decision as to what will ultimately happen with it.
That's great that you're still going to film it. I read the New Voyages version decades ago, the original version a few weeks ago, and the folks who write the Valjiir stories (see my sig) did their own take on "Mind-Sifter" with a story arc that delved into the events that happened on-ship during the year when Spock was the captain. No matter which version I've read, the core story is intense, and I'm very glad that someone decided to film it. I look forward to seeing the finished product when you folks are done.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 12:31 PM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

andriech wrote: View Post

Understood, thanks for clarifying.

And if nothing can be salvaged, while I realize it was probably all beyond everyone's control, what a sad waste of time, effort and especially (fan donated?) money.