Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 14 2012, 08:43 PM   #391
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

SAndrews10 wrote: View Post
So where exactly was that lighthouse last week drawing its power from? Was it a battery powered lighthouse??!!
The generators downstairs where they were hiding powered on. You know, the ones powered by diesel and oil that somehow didn't corrode them after 15 years of sitting there unkept and rotting/rusting away.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 08:46 PM   #392
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Because generators spontaneously power on with 15 year old batteries.
Old November 14 2012, 09:10 PM   #393
Tom
Rear Admiral

... And Iphone batteries can hold a charger or 15 years!!
Old November 14 2012, 09:39 PM   #394
Scout101
Admiral

mine rarely lasts the day!
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 10:39 PM   #395
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It wasn't the batteries.

It was the planet.

Like if the little dutch kid took his finger out of the dyke.

A tiny pocket of zero resistance was created and all the denied potential electric charge in the world flooded on those 20 square feet for a few moments before everything gummed up from being gangbanged or the pendant unspun.

In theory.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:13 PM   #396
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

You people mock the power of the magic amulet at your own risk.
Old November 16 2012, 07:36 PM   #397
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Finally saw last week's episode. Actually I think the series is getting somewhat decent. It's not perfect and they sure could use some better writers but with the addition of Colm Feore as Randall it's bound to get much better. He always plays for some reason a much more convincing bad guy than good guy.

As an aside, I loved his performance in Stephen King's Storm of the Century.

In any case, someone mentioned the problem with the generator suffering from dry rot. Is it possible that light house generators are fitted with more anti-corrosion resistant materials because of their proxmity to water - which would make the fact that it started more believalble. Regardless, I tend to discount those small inconsistencies. [remember as someone pointed in The Walking Dead thread] who's been cutting the grass at the prison over the past one year? Still hell of a show.

Revolution may not be on the same level as The Walking Dead but because it's on network television and they are much more limited on content that can be displayed I'm going to stick with this show through next year. Too bad we'll have to wait so long until 2013 episodes show up. I think NBC is making a mistake with that.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 09:23 PM   #398
Scout101
Admiral

Not really. Sure, maybe more corrosion-resistent, but corrosion /= dry rot. And let an engine sit for 15 years, somewhat exposed to the weather, and you couldn't make that thing crank without a full rebuild. Also counting on the bearings for the rotating light to still work, bulb to have not blown/broken in a storm, power cable not chewed by rats, etc.

And that ignores the big question of how this is supposed to work in the first place. Looks like they're saying that there's a giant magical power suppressor that is creating the 'shit don't work' field. Makes sense, as then the amulet doesn't have to wirelessly PROVIDE power to these devices (which would need its OWN power source, plus have to get power to something that isn't configured to receive it wirelessly). So, now you've got a little bubble where the dampening field is off, and stuff COULD work.

What about it wasn't working? Did the mechanical parts of the generator always work, and just didn't spit out electricity at the end?

Either way, without firing this thing up every couple months or so, it wouldn't turn over if you hooked it to a nuclear reactor. After 15 years with no maintenance, and it was abandoned rather than carefully put away, you'd have zero chance of this being anything other than a heavy paperweight. batteries in an iPhone aren't even worth discussing, they barely hold a charge when unplugged for a few hours. Be a pretty impressive battery indeed to hold a charge for 15 years. I'd doubt you could get it to TAKE a charge after that long, even if the power came back on for good...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 04:21 AM   #399
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Isn't "losing a charge" over time also some form of electrical current? if those are suspended completely, wouldn't that also prevent a battery from losing it's power?

And if I have to rationalize away the decay of the lightning house, I'd say the militia made the cadets shrub it with toothbrushes every day.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 10:09 PM   #400
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Either way, without firing this thing up every couple months or so, it wouldn't turn over if you hooked it to a nuclear reactor. After 15 years with no maintenance, and it was abandoned rather than carefully put away, you'd have zero chance of this being anything other than a heavy paperweight. batteries in an iPhone aren't even worth discussing, they barely hold a charge when unplugged for a few hours. Be a pretty impressive battery indeed to hold a charge for 15 years. I'd doubt you could get it to TAKE a charge after that long, even if the power came back on for good...
I've fired up a lawn mower that's sat idle for several years.

But generally you're right. Like I said earlier these small inconsistencies don't get under my nerves any more than why the grass is cut at the prison in the Walking Dead.

BTW, did the inconsistencies in Trek drive you irk you as well? I was watching and old TNG episode Force of Nature and the species that was concnerned about warp field energy destroying their space and altering their plants gravity had an amazing piece of technology.

They could completely disable a star ship with their special vertaron [sp?] beams but that technology was never to be heard of or seen again when the enterprise is in battle and could have used the same technology to disable a combatant.

Last edited by DarthTom; November 19 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old November 20 2012, 08:46 AM   #401
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Damn, they had use of a great song and the director and writers wasted it. They should have gone all "Ron Moore" with that episode.
Old November 20 2012, 07:31 PM   #402
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Damn, they had use of a great song and the director and writers wasted it. They should have gone all "Ron Moore" with that episode.
It's funny that Zeppelin was generous enough to loan their song to the series.
Old November 20 2012, 07:34 PM   #403
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

There's a new live LZ album and DVD thing out so they sent out word that they'd give tv shows rights to use a few LZ songs. Without that they'd probably wouldn't have been able to use it. Kripke's been trying for years to use LZ songs on Supernatural and so far he's been out of luck .
Old November 21 2012, 03:00 PM   #404
Tom
Rear Admiral

All will be revealed..ya right
Old November 21 2012, 03:14 PM   #405
FreezeC77
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
All will be revealed..ya right
I think NBC is just recycling preview/commerical tag lines from Heroes or the Event...Or Surface...well you get the idea.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote