RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,135
Posts: 5,401,746
Members: 24,746
Currently online: 497
Newest member: retrodynamic

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 5 2012, 06:49 PM   #16
The Green Mushroom
Commander
 
Location: United States
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

Watching it now....

First reaction: the plane crashing the second the power goes out and smashing into town is straight out of Dies the Fire. Should have just adapted the series and cleaned up its lesser moments. Now it seems they have just ripped it off without keeping the psuedo logic that all technology stopped because things can't go boom anymore.

Other things:
1. I have no problem with looney tunes militias taking over after a societal collapse. But if Doomsday Preppers has taught me anything...why would any of the militia types accept a black dude in their ranks?

2. So did they live in a cul de sac in the middle of the woods or did they just burn out the rest of the subdivision?

3. Fishing crews in Chicago? Wouldn't that require a massive depopulation of the human species to have avoided overfishing by the time the story is set? Unless I am wrong, fish is something that people with access to boats would go to pretty quickly to get food when the trucks stop rolling.

4. Wouldn't most cities and airports have burned down within fifteen years if there are no fire departments or even access to running water for hoses to stop a fire?

5. I do like the guys reloading the muskets. I could buy that the blacksmith who is presumably making the swords also does guns.

6. That Monroe guy's tent and demeanor reminds me a lot of General Whatshisname from The Postman. I liked that movie for strange movies, but will Monroe become Ben Linus or Dr. Claw?

Overall Verdict: I'll DVR it until I see that it won't start making more sense or doesn't have a thought out storyline.

Last edited by The Green Mushroom; September 5 2012 at 07:30 PM.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 06:59 PM   #17
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

You're kidding. They didn't realize that USB keyboards shouldn't work?

I've not been looking forward to this since I heard the synopsis described as, "all forms of technology stop working." Free pilot online is not really a good sign, but USB keyboards working seems to seal the deal.

If there are working USB keyboards in it, then pass, pass, pass.
Key, I said "key" not "keyboard". You'll have to watch the episode to understand. It's only 43 minutes of your time, and no commercials.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:10 PM   #18
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Revolution pilot review

I saw it last night on Hulu Plus.
It looked great. Same Director of Photography who did 43 episodes of Alias and many of Lost. The lighting was very nice and it was not shot on film.
I thought it was short and was expecting 85 minutes. It left me wanting for more.
It sets up the characters nicely and reveals a lot. The plot itself was very simple and easy to foreshadow.
A lot of violence in the big fight scene with swords. Yes they wanted to show that that character was very good at killing when needed. A little too much swashbuckling for me. I hope they tone that down.
The whole arrow & crossbow thing will become a fad now that The Hunger Games are in full swing for the next 5 years.

I am looking forward to seeing this series be on the road and not spend too much time in and around Chicago. Wondering how much episode 2 will be different than the pilot. I'll give it a few episodes.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:10 PM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

The use of weapons indicates trust and rank. Grunts get swords, get a promotion you have a musket, get a promotion and you have a real gun. A dictator has to be worried about coups and insurrection as much as invasion, by controlling the flow of weapons, he can control his "unknown" enemies 5th column resources.

Of course, then a boat of Chinese warlords turn up armed with a near endless supply of machine guns?

But you heard them, owning a fire arm is a hanging offence.

Which makes the whole thing political, and not related to the blackout.

Apparently bullets are very easy to make.

a hand cranking bullet making making machine doesn't look too different from a spaghetti maker.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Watching it now....

First reaction: the plane crashing the second the power goes out and smashing into town is straight out of Dies the Fire. Should have just adapted the series and cleaned up its lesser moments.
Is there a justification for that? Loss of electrical power wouldn't cause a plane to crash.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

It was the mirror universe Oceanic Flight 815.

that bastard is suicidal.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:35 PM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

sojourner wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

You're kidding. They didn't realize that USB keyboards shouldn't work?

I've not been looking forward to this since I heard the synopsis described as, "all forms of technology stop working." Free pilot online is not really a good sign, but USB keyboards working seems to seal the deal.

If there are working USB keyboards in it, then pass, pass, pass.
Key, I said "key" not "keyboard". You'll have to watch the episode to understand. It's only 43 minutes of your time, and no commercials.
Oh, you mean a flash drive? (If so, let me laugh even harder.)
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:57 PM   #23
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

^your criticism would be more biting if you knew the subject material. As it is, you only make yourself look silly.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:00 PM   #24
The Green Mushroom
Commander
 
Location: United States
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

Lindley wrote: View Post

Is there a justification for that? Loss of electrical power wouldn't cause a plane to crash.
I doubt it. I was just pointing out that the book and the TV show had pretty much the same thing happen. The way the plane crashed in the show made it look like it was almost lassoed and pulled down.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The use of weapons indicates trust and rank. Grunts get swords, get a promotion you have a musket, get a promotion and you have a real gun.

But you heard them, owning a fire arm is a hanging offence.

Which makes the whole thing political, and not related to the blackout.

Apparently bullets are very easy to make..
I would think that only a militarily incompetent idiot would hand out swords before handing out guns. Give man a gun and he can shoot it in a few minutes and be useful (in the 17th century sense) in battle in a few days or weeks. Give a man a sword and wait months for him to be of any use.

Someone does seem to have found a way to start making things. In a way that almost makes sense. I know at least one guy who lives within 50 miles of me and does blacksmithing for fun. A bunch of whack job Doomsday Preppers might find ways to encourage him to make more than 19th century style horseshoes and door handles.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:08 PM   #25
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

sojourner wrote: View Post
^your criticism would be more biting if you knew the subject material. As it is, you only make yourself look silly.
The NBC website wants me to watch an ad in order to watch the show, so, no thanks.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:27 PM   #26
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

^Watch it on IO9 then.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:34 PM   #27
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

I have seen that story before... in a DS9 episode of which the title escapes me right now.

So I predict it's the exact same thing happening here just on a bigger scale.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:37 PM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post

Is there a justification for that? Loss of electrical power wouldn't cause a plane to crash.
I doubt it. I was just pointing out that the book and the TV show had pretty much the same thing happen. The way the plane crashed in the show made it look like it was almost lassoed and pulled down.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The use of weapons indicates trust and rank. Grunts get swords, get a promotion you have a musket, get a promotion and you have a real gun.

But you heard them, owning a fire arm is a hanging offence.

Which makes the whole thing political, and not related to the blackout.

Apparently bullets are very easy to make..
I would think that only a militarily incompetent idiot would hand out swords before handing out guns. Give man a gun and he can shoot it in a few minutes and be useful (in the 17th century sense) in battle in a few days or weeks. Give a man a sword and wait months for him to be of any use.

Someone does seem to have found a way to start making things. In a way that almost makes sense. I know at least one guy who lives within 50 miles of me and does blacksmithing for fun. A bunch of whack job Doomsday Preppers might find ways to encourage him to make more than 19th century style horseshoes and door handles.
It would have taken years for the obvious stores of bullets to run out, and the guns to be collected by Munroe, where all the wolves killed each other. After that, what you got left is sheep (in theory).

Besides, Munroe is just a ruler, who collects taxes to pay for public works and protection from very real threats. You don't know what it's like to guard the frontier to his territories to keep all those sheep safe, or what his plans for expansion are. Mexicans and Canadians might be long way off, if he just runs a state or two, then Munroe has to deal with raiding parties from formerly fellow Americans thinking that they can pull one over on him.

What if what we are seeing is the malitia armed for police duties? Meanwhile on the border there's no shit about how well the 16th century rules. Theres just a lot of machine guns and they're being used constantly.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 09:49 PM   #29
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
1. I have no problem with looney tunes militias taking over after a societal collapse. But if Doomsday Preppers has taught me anything...why would any of the militia types accept a black dude in their ranks?
Because even the Grand Wizard of the KKK wouldnt dare dis Gus Fring?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 12:26 AM   #30
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

We don't know how much land Munroe controls.

We don't know if he's smashed or assimilated his nieghbours, or if their are cordial borders with truces, or actively hot borders on the brink of even more war... Then again, our heroes "walked" to Chicago in 2 days, which is maybe 40 miles. Which is what 1/2 an hour in car.

There could be thousands of warlords just like Munroe up and down North America.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
revolution

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.