RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,731
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1056
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 3 2012, 01:43 PM   #196
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

The Wasteland. Fallout New Vegas reference? Too bad the California Commonwealth isn't the New California Republic.

Though I guess with the blackout the Hoover Dam would stop working and all of the towns ans cities in the Mojave Desert would be uninhabitable.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 01:48 PM   #197
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The Wasteland is probably just the parts of the country that're more or less now uninhabitable and the other Republics didn't want anything there. So it's a neutral zone place that anyone can go to...if they can survive it.

Monroe Republic took the Maritimes? Damn, I live there!
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:16 PM   #198
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for this. I'm enjoying this show so far. It's amazing that Abrams finds the time to do projects like this and direct the new Trek film at the same time.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:28 PM   #199
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

lol@ texas
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 04:20 PM   #200
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Hey, they did the same thing with Jericho and the Independent Texan Republic.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 04:37 PM   #201
Takeru
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Thanks for this. I'm enjoying this show so far. It's amazing that Abrams finds the time to do projects like this and direct the new Trek film at the same time.
He doesn't actually work on the shows he slaps his name on, he's involved with the pilot and that's pretty much it. I think Alias was the last real Abrams tv series.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 04:58 PM   #202
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
He doesn't actually work on the shows he slaps his name on, he's involved with the pilot and that's pretty much it. I think Alias was the last real Abrams tv series.
Ah. Abrams is such a big baller now he's getting up their with Spielberg that simply an endorsement of a series sells the project.

Good for him.

Let's hope the next Trek film was as good as the last one.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:12 PM   #203
Scout101
Admiral

Don't like the map, and there should be WAY more 'wastelands' (i.e. death/plague zones). Basically anywhere there was a major population center, should be gone. Large portion of the east coast should be a dead zone. What do you do when you have millions of people in one area, that can't grow food, they don't have transportation out of there, and they are armed?

Almost all of them would die, and most of the rest would have horrible diseases that would spread around. California, New York, Chicago, Atlanta - gone. Midwest might do better, just by being able to get to less population density, and better farming conditions in short order. In the big cities, though, anyone left would be left because they ate the others. Not really tv-friendly, though...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:13 PM   #204
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ That's exactly what happens in SM Stirling's Emberverse novels, IIRC.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 06:13 PM   #205
sojourner
Vice Admiral

But 15 years later? No, there would just be bones, no danger of diseases. No reason for them to remain "wastelands". The wastelands presented on the map are there because without technology that area is a freakin desert.
Old October 3 2012, 11:07 PM   #206
The Green Mushroom
Commander

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Don't like the map, and there should be WAY more 'wastelands' (i.e. death/plague zones). Basically anywhere there was a major population center, should be gone. Large portion of the east coast should be a dead zone. What do you do when you have millions of people in one area, that can't grow food, they don't have transportation out of there, and they are armed?

Almost all of them would die, and most of the rest would have horrible diseases that would spread around. California, New York, Chicago, Atlanta - gone. Midwest might do better, just by being able to get to less population density, and better farming conditions in short order. In the big cities, though, anyone left would be left because they ate the others. Not really tv-friendly, though...
A blackout like the one they had would be bad. Possibly even worse than the one in the Dies the Fire series that Revolution ripped off...uh, is inspired by. The people in the Revolution blackout still have guns to make the killfest killier.

But, and I'm not the first to say this, it has been 15 years. Even if everyone in the East Coast cities has died, I can see many reasons why people would want to move back in:
  • Much of Pennsylvania and some of upstate New York would make for reasonable farmland once they have been fertilized by the Yuppies.
  • Without people and, more importantly, industrial fishing, the fishing grounds in the North Atlantic and the Long Island Sound would make for good living
  • Think of the raw materials that could be salvaged. In the Stirling series, the characters stated that it is far easier to mine for metals in a dead city than in the ground.
Most of the original population would be gone, but I would find it unbelievable if the area wasn't colonized.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 12:39 AM   #207
JD
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
But 15 years later? No, there would just be bones, no danger of diseases. No reason for them to remain "wastelands". The wastelands presented on the map are there because without technology that area is a freakin desert.
Yeah, as an Arizona native, I know I sure wouldn't stay here if all of the power went out. The only thing that makes living here bearable for the majority of people is air conditioning, and without that most of the people here, myself included, would probably move somewhere more bearable.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:43 AM   #208
Scout101
Admiral

Assuming that everyone that survived was well outside of a city or suburban area, though, and stayed outside that fallout area for 10+ years, why would they be in such a hurry to move back? I'd think that once you set up a life somewhere and live there 10 years, you're unlikely to move right back into NYC or Chicago, for example.

And metal/raw materials would still exist, but pretty much anything else of value would have been consumed/destroyed as the cities of millions of people slowly self-destructed. And you'd likely still have those bands of cannibals and savages, and remnants of disease/filth would still be around.

Honestly, anyone that was anywhere NEAR those areas during the collapse would likely never want to return. You'd have lived to escape it, or seen refugees that had SEEN some things, or fought off the remaining savage survivors, etc. You'd put that city in your rearview mirror, associate it with some horrific things, and pretend it never existed. Just around NYC, for example, you've got probably 25-30 million people within say 50 miles or so. Even if a few thousand get out and survive, that's a LOT of death, and violently so.

And just to respond to a few of the comments, very familiar with the Dies the Fire series, big fan. Gets a little, uh, fantastic as it goes on, but the first few feel pretty 'real' as far as how things go down. Hoping there's eventually payoff with that series that both ties it to the Nantucket books, and resolves the overall cause of the Change. Great to resolve the overall plot in Montival, but I want the big answers, and think we're down to the last book or so here...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:47 AM   #209
Mister Fandango
Captain

Realistic depictions of what would happen is something this show neither gives a flip about nor even remotely tries to recreate. Chicago, for example, is bustling with life (yet still overgrown and treated as if it had been abandoned for decades if not centuries based on the overgrowth). Why, it's downright peaceful save for the Monroe bullies marching around like Nazis.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:03 AM   #210
Caliburn24
Commodore

^Which is what the show wants to establish. The idea that the militia bring order and peace of a sort. As they flashback in future episodes to Miles and Monroe forming the militia that will become even more clear.

The sad part is the militia would be the good guys, if they didn't act like thugs. And they don't need to be thugs, except that they are written that way because the show needs bad guys. The writers of Revolution need to establish soon why the militia is bad in principle, other than just their actions.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote