Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 11 2012, 12:14 AM   #16
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: Roddenberry Podcasts

Its decent, anybody else enjoys Dorktrek?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:18 AM   #17
Esteban
Commander

Ok, don't get your tunic in a twist. I spent another couple of minutes of my life listening to Ken's podcast on "The Man Trap". Frankly, these are a dish best served cold--and once.

In the podcast, Ken keeps calling the planet M-13, not M-113. He also refers to "Commander Spock".

Nits, of course. But he gets the planet name and the Spock's first-season rank wrong.

Let's get constructive rather than tossing about criticisms, of either the effort or the poster. I think the podcasts would be greatly enhanced if they got more into the behind-the-scenes production trivia, and I mean more than "Gene Roddenberry looped the 'Turkeys' line in Charlie X. That requires bringing out the sacred texts, "Making", "World", and "Inside". Plus the Jeff Bond book on music.

Finally, I really think they should go in production order, not original airdate, because they spend alot of time talking about how in this episode that happened, but in the previous one that hadn't happened. I want to hear production dates, Harvey Hart's ten-day shoot, the utter mess of "What are Little Girls Made Of?" that occurred because Gene R. was trying to write in and rewrite in his mistress.

Let me help.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:29 AM   #18
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Esteban wrote: View Post
Ok, don't get your tunic in a twist. I spent another couple of minutes of my life listening to Ken's podcast on "The Man Trap". Frankly, these are a dish best served cold--and once.

In the podcast, Ken keeps calling the planet M-13, not M-113. He also refers to "Commander Spock".

Nits, of course. But he gets the planet name and the Spock's first-season rank wrong.
1) Spock was, I believe a Lieutenant Commander during season one, yes? Is "Commander" not an acceptable shorthand for referring to someone who carries a Lieutenant Commander rank? How many times have we heard "Commander Data," "Commander La Forge," "Commander Worf," "Commander Dax," and "Commander Tuvok" over they years?

Also, was Spock not a Commander for the last two years of the show? Is it not possible that even if Ken misspoke, it could still be construed as simply being shorthand for Spock's actual rank?

2) More importantly: I sincerely disagree with you that incorrectly referencing "Commander" Spock and "M13" would constitute "get[ting] important facts wrong."

These are, as you said later, minor nitpicks.

Let's get constructive rather than tossing about criticisms, of either the effort or the poster. I think the podcasts would be greatly enhanced if they got more into the behind-the-scenes production trivia, and I mean more than "Gene Roddenberry looped the 'Turkeys' line in Charlie X. That requires bringing out the sacred texts, "Making", "World", and "Inside". Plus the Jeff Bond book on music.

Finally, I really think they should go in production order, not original airdate, because they spend alot of time talking about how in this episode that happened, but in the previous one that hadn't happened. I want to hear production dates, Harvey Hart's ten-day shoot, the utter mess of "What are Little Girls Made Of?" that occurred because Gene R. was trying to write in and rewrite in his mistress.
So... you have no major, important facts to cite that they got wrong. Gotcha. Your criticism boils down to "They're not doing it the way I would do it so it must suck because I would do it better!"

The key point you are also ignoring is that these podcasts are being done based solely on re-watching the show. Yes, external texts and sources are being referenced, but what would be the point of filing through book after book to cite details already available in print?

More importantly - as hosts of the show, John and Ken also bring something else to the podcasts that you can't get anywhere else: their own personal opinions and interpretations of the shows and their impact on the franchise, on television and generally on the original series itself. These are the elements I find more interesting. These are the elements I'm listening for. Anyone can read "Inside Star Trek;" I've read it at least a dozen times since I got it fifteen years ago... I want something fresh, something new. John and Ken are providing that, warts and all.

Let me help.
Dude, you've got a hell of a way of promoting yourself if this is your objective!
Old September 12 2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Esteban
Commander

All I did was offer an opinion, a few facts (at your insistence), and give some constructive criticism. Oh yes, and make a reference to a famous line like "let me help".

For that, you seem to have put shields on maximum and phasers on full.

Do you have some skin in the game? If so, I should say it's exceedingly thin.
Old September 12 2012, 01:40 AM   #20
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Now you're changing your argument. First you claimed that they "got important facts wrong."

Now you're saying that you just "offer[ed] an opinion and a few facts and gave constructive criticism."

I don't see how making a broad claim such as you did in your initial post, only to back up with, by your own admission "minor nits" as evidence constitutes anything near "constructive criticism."

On top of this, you've summarily ignored the other points I raised in favor of this podcast series to instead impugn my motivation for defending it.

I don't dispute that the M113 creature is supposed to be referred to as the M113 creature. I don't dispute that Spock was a Lieutenant Commander in the first season (facts you yourself brought up.) I merely stated that these were minuscule details; minutiae that if gotten wrong I can forgive. This isn't the Constitution or the Holy Bible. It's a fun podcast about a TV show a bunch of nerds really really like, and one some people take far, far too seriously.

As for me, I happy to be friends with one of the hosts of the show. But that doesn't mean I can't independently disagree with you or point out the flaws in your argument.
Old September 12 2012, 02:23 AM   #21
Esteban
Commander

Good, then, if your buddy is Ken, please pass along the praise I gave him several times. If it's the other guy, well, let's face it, playing straight man is tough.

If YOU want to be constructive, you can pass along my suggestions, which of course they are free to ignore, ridicule, deride, etc.

Nits? Sure. Think about it from the audience's point-of-view, though. It's the difference between, "hey, these guys really know their stuff", and "hey, these jokers are just in it for the laughs."

The difference also might be between "Subscribe" and "next...."

Nerds taking it too seriously? Do you mean like guys posting on forums about a 50-year-old TV show? Glass houses my friend: you've done it more times than I.
Old September 12 2012, 02:29 AM   #22
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

What suggestions?

You have yet to present anything worthy of constructive discourse. You're just blathering on about it as if you could do better after admitting you don't even listen to the shows. Why on earth would I waste my friends' time with your crap?

More importantly, why am I wasting my time with your crap?
Old September 12 2012, 03:47 AM   #23
Esteban
Commander

Hey, look at the bright side. If I keep replying to your rants, someday I may become a "Fleet Admiral" like you!
Old September 12 2012, 06:25 AM   #24
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Enough.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:47 PM   #25
toonloon
Commander

"Get a life!" - you know who you are.
toonloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 05:14 AM   #26
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

^
Warning for trolling. When I say enough, I fucking mean it. Next time you need to get in the last word, log off and find something else to do.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:08 AM   #27
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I just finished listening to the podcast for "Mudd's Women" which was released today. I am finding that I am enjoying these more and more as they go on-- John and Ken take a casual yet academic approach to the material, and there's a healthy dose of trivia included as well as analysis of the stories, acting, production values, and even taking in to consideration the whole element of "is it a product of it's era, or does it stand the test of time?"

Solidly impressed with each of these. Bring on "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" !
Old September 21 2012, 09:41 AM   #28
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I like these podcasts. One thing they don't do is spend a lot of time recapping the plot minutia, which is a common problem with fan-made reviews. I don't care that they make the occasional small mistake. Hell, people here constantly type Checkov and Geordie and Deckard. I like that they talk about the themes of the show and if elements of the production stand the test of time, as I think those are more important than talking about if the phasers came from the right spot on the model.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:56 PM   #29
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Has anyone else had a chance to listen to the podcast on "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (released on Thursday) ?

I found it to be the best discussion so far, honestly. If you guys haven't been listening, it's a great one to start with!

I particularly liked the discussion about the differences between personhood and androids, what it means "to touch" and the question of quantifying what "touch" really means. Very thought provoking stuff, honestly.
Old October 8 2012, 11:20 AM   #30
Mytran
Fleet Captain

These podcasts are fine - although the "facts" are indeed fairly mainstream, the discussions are interesting and worth a listen.
The more opinions the better, I say!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote