Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 3 2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Why didn't Val Kilmer return for Batman & Robin?

The Badger wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
...I think that argument is somewhat difficult to accept...
Fair enough. I'm going from one reference I half remember hearing from years ago, it's entirely plausible I got it wrong.
To be fair, some actors turned down such roles because of the 'stigma.' I believe that Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of Robin in Batman Forever, but that was because he didn't like the script, rather than a general dislike of comic book movies. And part of the reason why Nicholson got such an outrageously large fee for Batman was because he was concerned that the movie might affect his credibility.

But equally, there are still actors who don't want to do comic book movies. Viggo Mortensen and Daniel Day-Lewis turned down the role played by Liam Neeson in Batman Begins, while Chris Cooper turned down the Gordon role (though again, I think this may have been down to disliking the script). I've also heard that Nolan and co were turned down by their first choice for The Joker, Sean Penn.

So what it seems to come down to is, some actors were and are willing to do comic book movies, some weren't and aren't.
Old September 3 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I dimly remember an interview with John Malkovich in which he admitted that, personally, he had no particular interest in spending weeks of his life playing a comic-book super-villain, so he would have to be extremely well-compensated to even consider it.

Fair enough. There's no reason it has to be every actor's dream to play Dr. Doom or Lex Luthor . . . or the Flash or Spider-Man for that matter.
Old September 4 2012, 12:11 AM   #18
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

And part of the reason why Nicholson got such an outrageously large fee for Batman was because he was concerned that the movie might affect his credibility.
I doubt that. He got a lot of money because he is Jack Nicholson! Same reason Brando got a ridiculous amount of money for his brief screen time in Superman. Back than studios felt big names were needed to justify the budgets superhero movies need.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Even a movie like The Shadow could cast Ian McKellen (long before X-Men or Lord of the Rings) and Tim Curry and the great Patrick McGoohan made a rare but welcome big screen appearance in The Phantom.
And Faye Dunaway and Peter O'Toole (!) both appeared in Supergirl!
No, let's pretend that Supergirl never happened.
Then I'd have to forget about the beautiful Helen Slater.
Old September 4 2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
And part of the reason why Nicholson got such an outrageously large fee for Batman was because he was concerned that the movie might affect his credibility.
I doubt that. He got a lot of money because he is Jack Nicholson! Same reason Brando got a ridiculous amount of money for his brief screen time in Superman. Back than studios felt big names were needed to justify the budgets superhero movies need.
I remember reading this in a biography of Jack. Note that I said 'part of the reason.' Of course the reason you cite is part of it too.
Old September 4 2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Nicholson was a supporter of Tim Burton (who was still considered a novice back then) and enjoyed playing the Joker. Money got him to do it, but he didn't hate the role.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 05:40 PM   #22
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Yeah, that is was what I remember. Also Nicholson is an avid art collector. He was aware of the earliest comics. He wanted the film to capture the mood and atmosphere of the late 30s, early 40s artwork.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 07:59 PM   #23
nvek86
Commander

And of course the biggest part of his paycheck came from his percentage deal from box office (and maybe merchandising, not sure about that one though).
Old September 4 2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

I have no evidence of this, but I think the correct answer to the OPs question about why Kilmer didn't return is obviously because of Batnipples and Batcodpieces. It's the only logical conclusion.

Saul wrote: View Post
I liked his Batman over George Clooney who I felt was playing George Clooney and not Bruce Wayne.
But Bruce Wayne's outward facade and public persona IS George Clooney, essentially. Dashing, wealthy playboy with some prominent public causes who never settles down. I'm not sure that George Clooney isn't right now out spending his nights fighting crime as a vigilante.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:57 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I have no evidence of this, but I think the correct answer to the OPs question about why Kilmer didn't return is obviously because of Batnipples and Batcodpieces. It's the only logical conclusion.
So George Clooney didn't mind those things when he read the script?
Old September 4 2012, 10:59 PM   #26
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
So George Clooney didn't mind those things when he read the script?
I don't think there's a mention of Batnipples in the script.

And then George Clooney wasn't the problem of that film. At all.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Dream
Admiral

I give credit to B&R for killing campy Batman once in for all. Terrible movie, but I'm glad it was made. Without it we wouldn't have gotten BB.

Who knows how many more lame Schumacher movies we would have gotten if B&R didn't flop so badly?
Old September 4 2012, 11:52 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I give credit to B&R for killing campy Batman once in for all. Terrible movie, but I'm glad it was made. Without it we wouldn't have gotten BB.

Who knows how many more lame Schumacher movies we would have gotten if B&R didn't flop so badly?
Good point! I believe they were already talking about something called BATMAN TRIUMPHANT with Jeff Goldblum as the Scarecrow . . . .
Old September 4 2012, 11:57 PM   #29
Dream
Admiral

I believe they were already talking about something called BATMAN TRIUMPHANT with Jeff Goldblum as the Scarecrow . . . .
We really didn't need to see Schumacher ruin Year One too.
Old September 5 2012, 12:13 AM   #30
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Good point! I believe they were already talking about something called BATMAN TRIUMPHANT with Jeff Goldblum as the Scarecrow . . . .
I know that Howard Stern was interested in the part but Schumacher wasn't interested in him. Too bad, Private Parts was terrific.

I think they were also interested in casting Madonna as Harley Quinn who would have been the Joker's daughter. They also wanted to bring Jack Nicholson back for Joker flashback scenes.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote