Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 1 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
NrobbieC
Commander

I need direction advice.

Is it better to stick to the episodic style like I am for my first season or should I try for an arc, possibly a war? Bearing in mind mine are short stories and I'm not a brilliant author.

What works best for fellow writers out there?
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: I need direction advice.

My advice is always focus on writing one good story, not on setting up a series. That's a distraction that will not help you tell a good tale.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
NrobbieC
Commander

That is wise advice
Old September 1 2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'd have to agree, start off with stand alones and then when you feel a bit more confident with your writing and characters try something a little more long-term.

That being said you can slip things into some stories that you could work with at a later date (not every plot line has to be resolved by the end of the story, and its good to have a little mystery now and then).
Old September 4 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
Is it better to stick to the episodic style like I am for my first season or should I try for an arc, possibly a war? Bearing in mind mine are short stories and I'm not a brilliant author.

My advice can only be this: write what develops the strengths you already posess as a writer, at least until such time as you feel comfortable venturing out into new territory, adding new strengths. (That doesn't mean neglect the basic essentials, like characterization--far from it. Work on what you need to work on. Just start out with tales that play to what you know--or what your faithful readers have pointed out--that you are good at. Take what you're good at--and make it better.)

Most of my readers have commented that my strengths lie in character-driven stories--and through developing character through dialogue. I see their point--and it wasn't until I was fully comfortable with my skills at characterizaion that I could tackle more ambitious, plot-based stuff like my "From Risa With Love" or, more recently, "Our Sacred Honor".

I will say this, mate--arcs, or long stories, can be exhausting--and very demanding. So again--don't bite off more than you honestly feel you can chew.

I...hope that helps.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
NrobbieC
Commander

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
NrobbieC wrote: View Post

My advice can only be this: write what develops the strengths you already posess as a writer, at least until such time as you feel comfortable venturing out into new territory, adding new strengths. (That doesn't mean neglect the basic essentials, like characterization--far from it. Work on what you need to work on. Just start out with tales that play to what you know--or what your faithful readers have pointed out--that you are good at. Take what you're good at--and make it better.)

Most of my readers have commented that my strengths lie in character-driven stories--and through developing character through dialogue. I see their point--and it wasn't until I was fully comfortable with my skills at characterizaion that I could tackle more ambitious, plot-based stuff like my "From Risa With Love" or, more recently, "Our Sacred Honor".

I will say this, mate--arcs, or long stories, can be exhausting--and very demanding. So again--don't bite off more than you honestly feel you can chew.

I...hope that helps.
Thank you

I don't have faithful readers that I know of, my feedback hasn't had any nibbles, but that could also be a good thing. I think I'll stick with telling the stories I want to tell and see how they progress naturally.