TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 3 2012, 01:24 PM   #31
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: I can't watch Enterprise anymore...

teacake wrote: View Post
I thought we were just supposed to pretend Krige and Thompson were the same Borg Queen physically.
Oh, we were. I was just in excuse-the-plot-holes mode.
Old September 3 2012, 01:27 PM   #32
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

You know how I found out that Ziyal was played by 3 different actors? I found out here, on this BBS, after already watching DS9 all the way through at least 3 times.

This is why I am the perfect audience.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:12 AM   #33
Sexy Human
Lieutenant

Its actually realistic if his personality deteriorates, when considering the circumstances, thats not the issue I have with the show.

The issues with the show are that it sucks shit on several levels.
Sexy Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:30 PM   #34
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Please, detail them for us. ALL of them. We need more of your deep and insightful commentary.
Old September 4 2012, 12:31 PM   #35
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Please, detail them for us. ALL of them. We need more of your deep and insightful commentary.
If someone said "The show kicks ass on several levels." you wouldn't want to hear any details, would you?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:46 PM   #36
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I would.

But oddly people with positive things to say don't usually engage in drive by's.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 5 2012, 05:50 AM   #37
kythe
Commander

Well, I finally finished watching "Damage" and I'm still upset with it, but "The Forgotten" proved to be a much better episode. This is the direction the story should have gone in the first place, skipping many of their other misadventures. And it dealt with the hard topic of crew deaths. This is something we rarely see in Star Trek since consequences rarely have effects lasting beyond the end of an episode. They did well with this one.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 09:28 AM   #38
Sexy Human
Lieutenant

Lot of multiple character people in Trek. All the time I recognize faces and voices.
Sexy Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:01 PM   #39
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kythe wrote: View Post
The problem is, I don't believe for an instant that this was their only course of action - or would have been if Archer's previous poor decisions hadn't led up to it. He never tried to negotiate with the Xindi, which would have been the logical course of action in the first place. His stopping their weapon would have only bought them some time, but you know they would just build another one. When he was told by the time traveler that he could stop them from bombing earth, I don't think they meant by force. After all, he did have only one ship that was seriously outnumbered and outgunned. But that was the only tactic he had tried so far.

It wasn't until Daniels stepped in again (his role in the plot often seems contrived according to what direction the writers want the story to go) in "Azati Prime" with that Xindi artifact and told him how to explain to the Xindi that they'd been duped that Archer even thought about just *talking* to them. But by then it was too late because he had already been captured by the reptilians. It came off as an act of desperation, not a negotiation for a peace treaty.

I kind of like the Xindi. They have a unique culture where 5 sentient species had all evolved on the same planet. They had their squabbles, but they had made it work where each had an equal voice in the coucil dedicated to their well being. This kind of unity shows that they have passed one of the tests for admittance into the Federation. They've been tricked into believing humans are a threat, and are acting in self-defense. So how is it necessary for Enterprise to see them as arch-enemies that need to be stopped at all costs? They need to have their information corrected, that is all. But Archer is proving them right - that humans are ruthless.

But this series has drastically reduced it's moral values to get to this point. Star Trek has always been about bringing out the best in humanity, but this is not an example of that. Archer's crew are more a reflection of how modern people (specifically Americans) perceive "problem solving" when it comes to threats. It doesn't show what we can be, it only reflects how we are now. There is a real "end justifies the means" attitude presented, since the hurtful actions Archer takes are presented as the "right" decisions for the circumstance. This is taking a low road for Star Trek, and I'm disappointed in it.
What you're not taking into account is this is a prequel to TOS. There was no Prime Directive, No Federation. Earth was infants in Space Exploration, and the Vulcans showed us over and over again, they didn't believe Earth was ready to be out there, being cowboys. This arc of Archer's, is what made the way for the Federation see in TOS and later in TNG. Look at the difference between TOS and TNG Federation, you have that same difference between ENT and TOS.

Yes, absolutely, Archer and crew were out of their League, it was Earth's first venture out there, and their first experience with an Interstellar threat, and they made a lot of mistakes (which in turn taught Kirk and Picard and all those who came after not to make those same mistakes). ENT is, what, almost 200 years earlier than TNG?

In Voyager, even Capt. Janeway makes a comment about how "uncivilized" Kirk's Federation was, and that he'd be drummed out of Starfleet of her day. Naturally, 80 some years before Kirk, it's going to be even more uneven on the scale of good to bad decisions.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:11 PM   #40
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
You know how I found out that Ziyal was played by 3 different actors? I found out here, on this BBS, after already watching DS9 all the way through at least 3 times.

This is why I am the perfect audience.
3? IMDB only lists 2? I had to look it up, because I've never noticed either, and I've had 2 full rewatches and the original airing mostly watched

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:38 PM   #41
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Here you go!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cyia_Batten

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tracy_Middendorf

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Melanie_Smith

I had a melt down when they changed actresses for Na'Toth on Bab5 and that was far heavier makeup than Cardassians. But for some reason I just never noticed Ziyal being 3 people.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 6 2012, 11:46 PM   #42
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Gotta give the Trek makeup crew credit... I'd have never have guessed these 3 were the same actress if Teacake hadn't have posted links...

M
Old September 7 2012, 10:00 AM   #43
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I THOUGHT I recognized her when I saw her as an Orion! Thanks for that!
Old September 7 2012, 10:22 AM   #44
lurok
Commodore

She was one of the original Pussycat Dolls (don't ask me how I know that without googling her )
Old September 12 2012, 03:03 AM   #45
kythe
Commander

Well, I had nothing better to do this week so I finally made it through the last season! Season 4 improved dramatically, its what the series should have been all along. There were several great story arcs that tied in the Humans, Vulcan, Andorians, and Tellerites, the founding members of the Federation. This was true prequel material. Now I'm sorry the series ended early, it felt premature.

Speaking of endings though (and because I like complaining ), that last episode really sucked. They killed Trip in a rediculous, out of character way, and nothing came of it. There was no funeral, no grief or aftermath, he was just thrown away. Shran was out of character too, he's not the type to be engaging in shady business. And after all the fuss, they didn't show Archer's speech. The last episode really didn't wrap up anything and it didn't do any of the characters justice.

But overall season 4 was the best Enterprise had to offer.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote