Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1 2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

wamdue wrote: View Post
On a more serious point, ok so all the Daleks on the parliament of the Daleks I get, but where did Skaro and the Asylum come from, its a very long way from "every atom of your existence, I divide them"
Rose doesn't do that to the Daleks until way into the future. And, for that matter, I'm not entirely clear what the Doctor did to the Daleks during the Time War (except maybe blow up a fleet on or near Gallifrey) since the pre-Time War Dalek timeline clearly still exists since there are Daleks who survived and remembered "Master-Plan," "Planet," and some others. (I won't touch whether or not this episode canonizes War of the Daleks.) This Skaro is post-"Master-Plan" and, judging by the devastation, post-"Evil."

Anyways all of this seems to distract from the appearance of Clara, which the show did an amazing job of keeping secret, going to interesting to see how she becomes the companion proper.
That's what those of us who saw preview screenings were pinky-sworn not to tell. Also, I don't believe her name is Clara in the episode.

On another note I was hoping for more of the previous Daleks, was there really no big doors Special Weapons could have blown up.
I was hoping for Dalek Storm.

ok so the first pay off I mention of "Doctor Who?" is the second pay off, but the first pay off of Clara being a Dalek seems to make the whole episode worth whatever faults I might like to nitpick.
Well, it certainly raises some interesting questions. And there are some possibilities that are derivative of Star Trek's "The Cage" (or Seven of Nine, for that matter), Philip K. Dick's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," etc.

The possibility that really interests me is this. Could the Daleks weaponize the Asylum's nanomachines and use them to infect an entire biosphere with the Dalek Factor, thus creating a planet of humanoid Dalek drones?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:36 PM   #32
ROBE
Commander

Well that was BRILLIANT!
The now lost Second Doctor first story The Power of the Daleks was set on Vulcan.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:37 PM   #33
VDCNI
Captain

I enjoyed that, much better than anything Moffat produced last year thankfully. Amy and Rory definitely time to go now, easily the weakest part of the episode was their divorce nonsense.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:42 PM   #34
Wereghost
Commodore

So it looks like there will be an arc of sorts, and it looks like a good one.

Very good episode, full of derring-do and (the right kind of) pathos. Loved Jenna-Louise. I hope she's this good when she becomes a regular.

Very cheeky uses of the question, too. I wonder if it'll be turning up in future season 7 episodes.

The new title sequence was a lovely surprise. Better in every way that the previous (rather cartoony) one in my opinion. The mix of the theme tune appears to be one of the areas of improvement, with a few judicious changes.
Old September 1 2012, 08:43 PM   #35
wamdue
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
On a more serious point, ok so all the Daleks on the parliament of the Daleks I get, but where did Skaro and the Asylum come from, its a very long way from "every atom of your existence, I divide them"
Rose doesn't do that to the Daleks until way into the future.
the way I saw that was because Rose was using the Time Vortex, she divided every atom in there existence ever, in all of time.

Of course im being picky, because taking that approach they never really explained where the life raft containing the new Daleks in Victory of the Daleks came from.

Anyways all of this seems to distract from the appearance of Clara, which the show did an amazing job of keeping secret, going to interesting to see how she becomes the companion proper.
That's what those of us who saw preview screenings were pinky-sworn not to tell. Also, I don't believe her name is Clara in the episode.
and it really shows why secrets should be kept.

ok so the first pay off I mention of "Doctor Who?" is the second pay off, but the first pay off of Clara being a Dalek seems to make the whole episode worth whatever faults I might like to nitpick.
The possibility that really interests me is this. Could the Daleks weaponize the Asylum's nanomachines and use them to infect an entire biosphere with the Dalek Factor, thus creating a planet of humanoid Dalek drones?
its certainly interesting to wonder why they never did that before, now its blown up, they may not have any nanogenes, they were all used on the Asylum.

Also talking of the Asylum, it did remind me of Q Who, when the Doctor explored the Asylum, I wonder if we may end up with a "Best of Both Worlds" style cliffhanger concerning Amy, or Clara.
Old September 1 2012, 08:50 PM   #36
Lonemagpie
Writer

Internet-breaking spoilers my arse! I didn't even recognise who it was - meant nothing to me!

So, apparently the secret after the credits was Jenna Louise Coleman. Who I totally didn't recognise. Her character's name is Oswin Oswald, which is different than companion Clara Oswin - I wonder if she'll be a sister or ancestor or something. Either way, it means the majority of viewers won't have been surprised tonight, but will be at Xmas. So why the hype for tonight? I'd actually have got more out of it *knowing* the spoiler because then at least I'd have known who the fuck she was meant to be...

I wonder if she was originally hired for this, and then they decided to keep her on because of it? Like, say, Nyssa or Jamie.

Also, I didn't like her much. Maybe it was cos she was trying to top the current companion fast-talking back-talking thing too much. It was just Donna and Amy +1. I hope she's not like that all through the next half of the season.

Fun episode otherwise, though the reason for the Ponds' divorce is a silly bit of plot contrivance just to manipulate the audience. Loved all the Dalek stuff though. Matt Smith should play Bill Nighy's son in something - he looked just like him in some shots...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:51 PM   #37
The Badger
Fleet Captain

The episode didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped, but I certainly enjoyed it. It was nice to see some older model Daleks, especially the SWD, though given the pre-publicity I'd expected they'd have been given more prominence.

Jenna Louise Coleman was very impressive, and demonstrated why she got the companion role. Of course, I've no idea how that would work out. The fact that she was called 'Oswin' and the new companion is to be (allegedly) 'Clara' suggests she may be a sister or other relation. I hope not though, the idea of a human/Dalek companion is a weirdly compelling one.

The Dalek zombies were nice and creepy, and I'll bet a few kids will be watching bus drivers closely from now on.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:57 PM   #38
wamdue
Admiral

im sorry but Jenna Louise Coleman. should not return as a new character when she becomes the companion, its going to be far too soon for that, and offensive to the storyline that would somehow explain how she can become the companion.

This isnt Freema Agyeman appearance as a Torchwood employee, before her appearance as Martha.
Old September 1 2012, 09:03 PM   #39
Starkers
Admiral

Think I need to watch it again before I rate it, but I think I liked it a lot. Not 100% certain because it did feel like it took a while to get into, which might be down to it not playing anything like how I expected. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Anyway...Jenna Louise Coleman was brilliant, and hurrah for the lack of spoilers because that really caught me on the hop, in fact the whole episode surprised me in all sorts of ways. I'm guessing the nature of the story made it easy for Jenna to film her bits secretly, perhaps even after Karen and Arthur had finished? They never actually interact after all...wonder if originally somone else played the part?

Anyway, kudos for keeping that a secret Moff, and given her sly half look to the camera and 'remember' line at the end I'm guessing she will be back, half human/half Dalek companion? I do hope so.

Loved the new robomen, and the dalek zombies were brilliant.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Amy and Rory's little story got to me a bit. I'd agree it did feel like they were sidetracked somewhat, but I'm guessing they'll be more front and centre for the rest of the series. I really hope they don't kill em both though.

And the finale? Doctor Who? brilliant!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:05 PM   #40
StCoop
Commodore

It wasn't. In fact I heard about it on the 15th of August. I'm amazed it didn't spread wider, though.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...69&postcount=7
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:07 PM   #41
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

the final line was the only part of this episode that bothered me actually...

"Doctor Who?"

The final question according to last season... which has been asked now... so i'm guessing with the Dalek's all asking 'Doctor Who?', it will be a build up to the Fields of Trensilor where The Doctor has to answer...

M
Old September 1 2012, 09:09 PM   #42
Starkers
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
It wasn't. In fact I heard about it on the 15th of August. I'm amazed it didn't spread wider, though.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...69&postcount=7
I'm really glad it didn't, and I'm really glad I didn't read that thread

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:10 PM   #43
Relayer1
Commodore

I thought that was great. More please !

Going to miss Karen Gillan...
Old September 1 2012, 09:15 PM   #44
Lonemagpie
Writer

And it's not the first time a companion actor has appeared earlier - imagine if Moffat and the BBC had made and premiered The Chase, and made a big fuss about the big twist in New York - Peter Purves as Morton Dill, before he joins as Steven in the last episode...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:19 PM   #45
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Sad to say that Amy and Rory's plot was definitely the worst part of the episode. Well, that and Moffat episodes lately always seem at the start like they're rushing through the story. Other than that, the whole thing was pretty damn fun. Although, yeah, the JLC reveal was a bit weird.