Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5 2012, 04:47 AM   #376
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

or we can just accept, the Dalek's there were insane... hence being in an Asylum... and possibly saw Rory as either a vegetable or some sort or dancing tree...

M
Old September 5 2012, 08:29 AM   #377
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Turbo wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
One side thought: I loved the reference to Barbara when we see The Doctor through the Dalek's eyestalk and he throws his arms all around the door frame.
I completely missed that reference! Awesome.
I'll be honest. I noticed because someone made a Facebook meme on the reference which I saw prior to viewing the episode. I like to think I would have noticed the reference on my own, especially considering how iconic it is.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:57 AM   #378
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

Turbo wrote: View Post
One side thought: I loved the reference to Barbara when we see The Doctor through the Dalek's eyestalk and he throws his arms all around the door frame.
I completely missed that reference! Awesome.
I'll be honest. I noticed because someone made a Facebook meme on the reference which I saw prior to viewing the episode. I like to think I would have noticed the reference on my own, especially considering how iconic it is.
Indeed.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 10:04 AM   #379
Candlelight
Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Did the Daleks manage to exterminate anyone during this episode? I'm trying to think of an example, but I can't-- everyone dead was dead before it began!
No one has been exterminated since Moffat came in. NOW DO YOU ALL SEE THE PROBLEM WITH MOFFAT?
I've always had a problem with Moffat. Can't wait till he bows out.
Old September 5 2012, 10:19 AM   #380
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

No one has been exterminated since Moffat came in. NOW DO YOU ALL SEE THE PROBLEM WITH MOFFAT?
To be fair though, this was the first episode by Moffat that has involved the Dalek's directly...

Episodes by Moffat and the enemies included...

"The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances" - Badguy = nanogenes / creepy children.

"The Girl in the Fireplace" - badguy = steampunk robots / time

"Blink" - badguy = Weeping angels

"Time Crash"- comic relief

"Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" - badguy = Vashta Narada

"The End of Time" - badguy = crashing TARDIS

"The Eleventh Hour" - badguy = Atraxi

"The Beast Below" - badguy = human stupidity / ignorance / arrogance

"The Time of Angels" / "Flesh and Stone" - badguy = Weeping Angels

"The Pandorica Opens" / "The Big Bang" - badguy = coalition of badguys / unknown enemy causing TARDIS explosion

"A Christmas Carol" - badguy = time

"Space" / "Time" - comic relief

"The Impossible Astronaut" / "Day of the Moon" - bad guy = The Silents

"A Good Man Goes to War" / "Let's Kill Hitler" - Badguy = River Song / The Silents

"The Wedding of River Song" - badguy = The Silents

"The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" - christmas special

"Asylum of the Daleks" - bad guy = The Daleks

So talking about him not using the Daleks to exterminate anyone seems a bit pointless... he's used the Dalek's twice in 23 episodes so far... and in one of them, "The Pandorica Opens", a Dalek 'exterminates' The Doctor, hitting him with a blast, that while it doesn't kill him, does some pretty serious damage...

So using the Dalek's less than 10% of the time, and not killing anyone with them on his first major outing... i'm fine with that, his badguy of choice is the Weeping Angels, which i love anyway... personally I'd much rather see episodes about the Vashta Narada than the Dalek's anyway lol

M
Old September 5 2012, 10:26 AM   #381
Ghost Bones
Captain

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Did the Daleks manage to exterminate anyone during this episode? I'm trying to think of an example, but I can't-- everyone dead was dead before it began!
I've always had a problem with Moffat. Can't wait till he bows out.
Yeah, but who then? The Chibnall hack?
Old September 5 2012, 11:22 AM   #382
Starkers
Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Of course the Nazis were democratically elected... That's me being pedantic, I do get what you mean.
I could be even more pedantic and bore you all to death with a lecture about the state of democracy at the end of the Weimar Republic but I won't and just leave it at this: they did get rid of parliament as soon as possible. Which is what I meant.

Perhaps it's simply that, having been defeated with an Emperor at the helm, and having been defeated with Davros in charge, maybe they've decided to go down a more egalitarian route...
As I said, I think it's an interesting notion. But it's odd to introduce this and then not do anything with it and not explore it further. Then again, maybe someone will in the future.
I think it was just a throwaway comment really, akin to that episode of the Simpsons. "Oh let's just call the big Dalek meeting a parliament."

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Rosalind wrote: View Post
Well the Parliament bit might be nitpicking (though when every Parliament in the world means a democratically elected body, you'd think a more appropriate word would have been come up with),
according to Wikipedia:

"The Great Hall of the People ... It functions as the meeting place of the National People's Congress, the Chinese parliament."

So how you define a parliament is different to how individual nation define their own parliament.
But then, Doctor Who is a British show for primarily British people, whose understanding of a parliament will be a democratically elected body. And the Chinese wouldn't be calling it a parliament either, because they are chinese.
And in the 70's it was established that Timelords have a President, and Briton's understanding of that would probably be along the American model, yet I don't recall any 'Doctor/Borussa 4 More Years!' bumper stickers!

Like I said, Sci-fi is full to the brim with human words being used/misused to represent alien concepts.

The Daleks had an Emperor, there was an Emperor in Star Wars, as well as a Princess and a Queen (and one not recognisable to us as a Queen as it appears she was elected) The Centari have a Prime Minister and an Emperor, the Klingons have a chancellor, the Romulans have a Praetor...

Now personally I kinda like it when writers come up with something that at least sounds original, like the Kha'Ri in Babylon 5, or the Grey Council (although a council obviously isn't that original) but I fully understand that you can't always do this, that using nothing but made up words can put off an audience, and that writers of all eras have used recognisable words as shorthand, it's what they do.

As for the Dalek parliament, two points. First, maybe it's meant as, you know, irony, that a race so much the antithesis of democracy would call their leadership by a name so closely associated with democracy, or maybe, as I've said, as crazy as it seems maybe the Daleks do have an oddly democratic system, one Dalek one vote and all that? Clearly following a dictator hasn't worked out so well over the years, and remember, the Cult of Skaro were tasked with 'thinking the unthinkable'.

chardman wrote: View Post
NO! I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT, AND GIVEN THE STORIES THE DALEKS HAVE APPEARED IN, THE LACK OF EXTERMINATIONS IS TOTALLY APPROPRIATE.

(So one of the things that you dislike about Moffat-Who is that there aren't enough people being brutally killed? Seriously? Wow...Classy.)
Also, didn't the Daleks exterminate a couple of British soldiers in Victory of the Daleks?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 11:28 AM   #383
Methos

Victory was written by Mark Gatiss... but yeah, the Dalek's killed a few, and created a human bomb lol

M
Old September 5 2012, 11:34 AM   #384
Starkers
Admiral

It isn't like Moffat hasn't killed characters off though, although we have yet to see a properly Fang Rock/Everybody dies type story in New Who (that I can recall)

I kinda like that we had a Dalek story where no one was exterminated, although I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me might point out that it isn't the first time.
Old September 5 2012, 12:03 PM   #385
Ghost Bones
Captain

It isn't like Moffat hasn't killed characters off though, although we have yet to see a properly Fang Rock/Everybody dies type story in New Who (that I can recall)
Voyage of the Damned (Rubbish)
Old September 5 2012, 12:14 PM   #386
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Voyage of the Damned (Rubbish)
Except Moffat didn't write that episode.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 12:23 PM   #387
Ghost Bones
Captain

It is, nevertheless, an everybody dies New Who episode.
Old September 5 2012, 01:28 PM   #388
Starkers
Admiral

Except everyone didn't die. The tour guide bloke survived, as did the rich industrialist. Fang Rock, well the entire guest cast all bit the bullet. Can't think of a new series episode where there wasn't at least one survivor.
Old September 5 2012, 02:57 PM   #389
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Except everyone didn't die. The tour guide bloke survived, as did the rich industrialist. Fang Rock, well the entire guest cast all bit the bullet. Can't think of a new series episode where there wasn't at least one survivor.
Yea, as far as Least Survivors, The God Complex beats it, since only the guy who's people seem to like to be invaded/enslaved survived (Gibbis?)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 03:05 PM   #390
Starkers
Admiral

^ Yeah that's probably the least survivors.