RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 512
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 4 2012, 04:54 PM   #346
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Emh wrote: View Post
Some people went into this expecting a masturbatory "Every Dalek but the Kitchen Sink Dalek" overblown, nonsensical thrill ride to give RTD a run for his money. Instead I found this to be a quieter, atmospheric, more personal story, a story that the Daleks richly deserve, one which they haven't gotten since "Dalek" (or Big Finish's I, Davros).
Agreed. I far prefer this kind of story to the big, overblown RTD kind of thing with millions of Daleks flying through the sky or barking orders at each other for two solid hours.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 06:04 PM   #347
davejames
Vice Admiral

Thought this sounded interesting. Moffat says the Doctor will be acting a bit less like a little kid around his new companion, and more like the wise and mysterious Doctors of old...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/03/stev...mpanion-oswin/

If true, I imagine that will make some fans very happy. Lol
Old September 4 2012, 07:50 PM   #348
Aldo
Admiral

I wonder what it is about the new companion that will cause him to act differently? Perhaps she really is going to be tied to Oswin from AotD? I still think a former Dalek becoming the companion would be too cool for words.
Old September 4 2012, 08:05 PM   #349
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Oswin and the path web are reminiscent of Susan Mendes from Dalek Empire.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:15 PM   #350
Butters
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Thought this sounded interesting. Moffat says the Doctor will be acting a bit less like a little kid around his new companion, and more like the wise and mysterious Doctors of old...

Not me. I like this twirling unleashed inner-child on a sugar rush incarnation.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:41 PM   #351
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

This is beginning to sound more like a "Leisure Hive" overhaul of the series.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:57 PM   #352
Ghost Bones
Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Owls have Parliaments too, I don't see the point of bitching about a Dalek Parliament
Well presumably you do because there's an obvious difference between the meaning of a parliament of owls and a parliament in this context. A mod (I assume that's what the green name indicates) calling reasonable criticism of a TV show "bitching" says a lot.
I generally call nitpicking bitching. Your complaints about the plot of the episode are valid, but this is just nitpicking. My point with the Owls is that you haven't any idea what the Dalek Parliament constitutes and neither do I.

Do me a favor. Go to the main Doctor Who page. Scroll down to moderators. Then come back here.
Well the Parliament bit might be nitpicking (though when every Parliament in the world means a democratically elected body, you'd think a more appropriate word would have been come up with), but things like it being lit like shit or being resolved by stupid magic bollocks we've never heard of before are more than nitpicking. Maybe I'll start calling mindless praise of something "dicking" or somesuch.
Old September 4 2012, 09:05 PM   #353
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The Deus Ex ending (to the extent it was) can be a valid criticism. I won't call that bitching. I think it was well-established in the episode (and certainly, there's nothing new about nanogenes), but you might disagree with me. That's fair and it actually has something to do with the plot of the episode.
Old September 4 2012, 09:24 PM   #354
davejames
Vice Admiral

Butters wrote: View Post
Not me. I like this twirling unleashed inner-child on a sugar rush incarnation.
Well I'm sure we'll still see some of that (just because that's the way Matt Smith naturally is), but I also think he could do a great job playing a subtler, more mysterious kind of Doctor too.

Plus, seeing how cheery and animated Coleman's character is, I think you probably need someone a bit more mature to balance that out. Otherwise it could all get a bit exhausting.
Old September 4 2012, 09:42 PM   #355
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

That may be part of the reason.

Matt Smith does play somber Doctor very well when he does it, but Matt Smith himself is very much like his character. While I applaud more of a balance, I hope his zaniness doesn't disappear entirely. He could at least use it as a distraction to enemies, per Doctor Who tradition.
Old September 4 2012, 10:12 PM   #356
Starkers
Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post

Yeah, sure, if we talk of our understanding of modern Western democracy. However, a parliament involves someone electing someone, i.e. a measure of democracy, even if there isn't universal suffrage. The Daleks were supposed to be stand-ins for the Nazis so that seems out-of-character for them. It seems to be kind of weird to introduce this new concept at the beginning of the episode without doing anything with it.
However, that was only one of the things that bugged me. All of these things together drag the episode down for me.

Of course the Nazis were democratically elected... That's me being pedantic, I do get what you mean. Perhaps it's simply that, having been defeated with an Emperor at the helm, and having been defeated with Davros in charge, maybe they've decided to go down a more egalitarian route...

Seriously though I don't recall seeing anything to suggest the Daleks don't have a rank structure/don't discuss their plans, form strategies as a unit.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:31 PM   #357
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Starkers wrote: View Post
Of course the Nazis were democratically elected... That's me being pedantic, I do get what you mean.
I could be even more pedantic and bore you all to death with a lecture about the state of democracy at the end of the Weimar Republic but I won't and just leave it at this: they did get rid of parliament as soon as possible. Which is what I meant.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Perhaps it's simply that, having been defeated with an Emperor at the helm, and having been defeated with Davros in charge, maybe they've decided to go down a more egalitarian route...
As I said, I think it's an interesting notion. But it's odd to introduce this and then not do anything with it and not explore it further. Then again, maybe someone will in the future.
Old September 4 2012, 10:33 PM   #358
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

So is the outfit in the picture the 'standard' outfit going forward from the Christmas special?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:40 PM   #359
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Well the Parliament bit might be nitpicking (though when every Parliament in the world means a democratically elected body, you'd think a more appropriate word would have been come up with),
according to Wikipedia:

"The Great Hall of the People ... It functions as the meeting place of the National People's Congress, the Chinese parliament."

So how you define a parliament is different to how individual nation define their own parliament.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:40 PM   #360
davejames
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
So is the outfit in the picture the 'standard' outfit going forward from the Christmas special?
Probably so, considering this was an officially released photo.

I think it looks really cool myself. Although I do think it's a shame we didn't get to see more of the green coat first. I guess they must have had second thoughts about that one.