RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 584
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 3 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Creepy Eyes

...The only objection I have to that is that they wouldn't have bothered with signage, such as the "Restricted Area" sign outside Mitchell's little bedchamber.

A third possibility: see the fancy outer doorways? The trapezoids are again seen in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and are supposed to indicate alien origin (echoes of Forbidden Planet aesthetics there). Perhaps the buildings of Delta Vega are of alien origin as well, and merely appropriated for use by humans when found abandoned by their masters. Possibly this far-flung outpost was the fourth one confirmed to be of Vegan origin in the prime timeline, whereas the icy world from STXI was the fourth one thus identified in the newer timeline.

The oxygen atmosphere could be from the original Vegan terraforming, then. Although just about any alien species could have done it before mankind stumbled on this place.

how were the Delta Vega "power packs" adapted to "regenerate" the Enterprise's engines
"Power packs" were the specific thing to fail on the impulse engines, and the one bit of damage that Kirk was acutely aware of. Perhaps the station's power packs could have donated some "points" for the repairing of the impulse engines, then, whereas the main engine repairs or regeneration would be achieved by other means.

Timo Saloniem
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Automated means it's automated at the time of the story. In the past it might've been a manned outpost, which would handily explain the presence of a brig and other facilities. Hell, when the "ore ships" finally do come calling maybe they're there for a while and some facilities are used for the duration.

I don't see what it has be be any more complicated than that.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Timo
Admiral

It clearly wasn't thought out - that is, there was never any clear "writer intent" one way or another - so there's plenty of room for speculation...

The concept of "ore ship" still bothers me, as hauling of ore between stars sounds patently stupid. But it may be necessary to accept, for various reasons, that interstellar travel in Trek is so dirt cheap that even ore can be hauled; it just doesn't pay to refine the stuff at the source, even if the source is at the extreme fringes of the galaxy from where the end users are looking.

Timo Saloniemi
Old September 3 2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Wingsley
Commodore

Well, the term "ore ships" was used, which is clearly something derived from 20th/21st-century "ore boat" shipping. A few years before TOS, my father worked on the Governor Miller, a ship on the Great Lakes. While he was on the lakes, he even saw the ill-fated Edmund Fitzgerald (of 1975 fame, whose shipwreck is the basis for the informous Gordon Lightfoot song).

Timo makes a good point about "ore" being hauled around in space, but maybe the notion of "ore ships" and "ore frieghters" ("The Ultimate Computer") is being taken too seriously. I envision two possibilities: (1: these mysterious ships don't really haul "ore" but rather some highly valued material that has already been extracted from naturally occurring ore, so the "ore ships" term would merely be a throwback to the era of terrestrial "ore boats", or... (2: whatever "ore" is being mined, either on or near Delta Vega, contains more than one valuable substance; perhaps the "ore" contains a variety of valuable substances that make them worth hauling great distances for refinement. (Maybe the "ore" holds both dilithium and diburnium, for example)
Old September 3 2012, 09:24 PM   #20
Wingsley
Commodore

FOLLOW-UP...

Edmund Fitzgerald - Wikipedia article

In 1976, Canadian singer-songwriter and poet laureate Gordon Lightfoot wrote, composed, and recorded the song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for his album Summertime Dream. Lightfoot's popular ballad made the sinking of the Fitzgerald one of the most well-known disasters in the history of Great Lakes shipping.

By the looks of "The Fitz" in the Wikipedia article linked above, she and the Governor Miller look to be very similar vessels. (My father once showed me a photo of the G.M.)
Old September 4 2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Timo
Admiral

It was an episode of "Due South" that launched me on a googling spree on the subject...

The part that sounds wrong about hauling ore to or from Delta Vega is the sheer distances involved in getting it to the user. But perhaps Delta is part of a robotic mining network that involves several nearby star systems, and ore is being taken from Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and the others to the centrally located Alpha Vega for refining before being shipped to civilized space? Perhaps there's some crew at Alpha, too, even if the mines and the ore ships are automated? And perhaps it's for this crew, rather than for random passersby or past or future colonists, that the crew facilities exist on the mining stations?

Timo Saloniemi
Old September 4 2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Wingsley
Commodore

I would say that Delta Vega is pretty clearly isolated. The Enterprise's mission took her to deep space... the edge of our galaxy... and the whole story rests on the fulcrum that the ship's is "out there" and everyone aboard could die on that distant frontier.
Old September 4 2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Timo
Admiral

Yet Kirk does seem to think that others would follow - and the space around him must be jam-packed with Federation installations if one is so close to where he gets stranded by sheer chance.

If it's not chance, if Delta Vega is Kirk's designated backup site in case anything goes wrong, then Kirk is of course far away from other human beings or UFP sentients. But we never learn quite how far: the loss of warp drive would leave Kirk isolated even if the nearest settlement was just a couple of lightyears away (indeed, impulse speeds would get him to one of those in "years", not "decades" or "centuries", although that may be taking time dilation to account).

Much would depend on how Kirk communicates with home base. Since he makes no attempt to do so at any point of the story, before or after the barrier encounter, we might claim he's out of range. And supposedly Delta Vega would be out of range as well, then, which is sort of odd if it needs to keep running smoothly and report on progress in cracking whatever it's cracking.

Timo Saloniemi
Old September 4 2012, 03:50 PM   #24
Wingsley
Commodore

You just discovered another plot hole. Congratulations!

I would assume that subspace radio communications are layered, with the simplest, low-power, low-speed telemetery-type "Morse code" radio being the most basic form of communications. This kind of non-visual "tap tap tap" is probably what was used for "survival mode" communications at least as far back as the Earth-Romulan Conflict. This kind of no-frills communication probably takes the least power, and has the most range and the most likelihood of surviving interference and/or jamming. This would explain why "a subspace message will take three weeks to reach Star Fleet" ("The Enterprise Incident") and why "we finally heard back from command base" ("Balance of Terror") and why Spock used "a low energy channel, but it is readable" ("The Immunity Syndrome"). It might also explain why it took so long to hear back from the lost Horizon ("A Piece of the Action").

I always assumed that the higher-quality transmissions with video and lots of data would be more problematic, or at least require more power, an appetite increasing with higher ranges and/or speeds.

At any rate, it's safe to assume that Delta Vega is not near any "Echo 12" buoys so the best they could do would be "tap, tap, tap" and wait a couple years.

As for the Enterprise's communications, I always assumed they were damaged with the main engines since the subspace radio and warp drive seem to work on the same principle. In recent years, I've taken to the Negative Energy Barrier being a dark matter and/or dark energy phenomenon; part of what holds our galaxy together. I started assuming that the Enterprise dropped out of warp once she entered the Barrier because of a negative reaction with the engines, which would likely be affected by such phenomena.
Old September 8 2012, 08:43 PM   #25
gomtuu20
Commander

When Mitchell seems to notice Spock monitoring him in Sickbay and looks like he is staring directly back - that is creepy. When he brings Dr. Dehner to the mirror and she too has the glowing eyes - that is creepy. It is very effective. It's wierd that something as simple as contact lenses can make such an effective impact.

The episode has some great themes. Man's desire to have the the abilities of God, and how Man could not handle those abilities without becoming evil.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 09:06 PM   #26
scotpens
Vice Admiral

gomtuu20 wrote: View Post
When Mitchell seems to notice Spock monitoring him in Sickbay and looks like he is staring directly back - that is creepy. When he brings Dr. Dehner to the mirror and she too has the glowing eyes - that is creepy. It is very effective. It's weird that something as simple as contact lenses can make such an effective impact.
For the eye effects, a layer of metal foil was sandwiched between two contact lenses glued together. These were the old-fashioned scleral lenses, the kind that cover the entire front of the eye.

Wiki:
Although (Sally) Kellerman could insert and remove the prosthetics easily with no discomfort, (Gary) Lockwood found them almost impossible to use. He needed to raise his face and sight along his nose in order to see through tiny holes in the foil. He was able to use this to enhance his performance as the mutating Mitchell, the unusual gaze giving him an arrogant and haughty demeanor.
Old September 9 2012, 04:05 AM   #27
Gary7
Rear Admiral

There's definitely a lot of creepy aspects to the episode that become lost as you grow very familiar with the story. Taking a long break certainly helps.

I must say that I can't watch TOS very often. I leave myself very long breaks, sometimes over a year without watching a full episode. Why? Because I've seen them so many times. Once I get the blu-ray discs, I'm sure I'll feel the "refresh" and indulge in them again once more. But at this point, it's more like "once in a long while"... kind of like listening to The Beatles.
Old September 11 2012, 01:48 AM   #28
gomtuu20
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
There's definitely a lot of creepy aspects to the episode that become lost as you grow very familiar with the story. Taking a long break certainly helps.

I must say that I can't watch TOS very often. I leave myself very long breaks, sometimes over a year without watching a full episode. Why? Because I've seen them so many times. Once I get the blu-ray discs, I'm sure I'll feel the "refresh" and indulge in them again once more. But at this point, it's more like "once in a long while"... kind of like listening to The Beatles.
Agreed. I'm watching some of season one on the remastered DVDs and falling in love all over again. I haven't watched them in about a year or so.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote