Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 4 2014, 05:42 PM   #1081
diankra
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

starsuperion wrote: View Post
Now, the Masque of Mandragora, that was sensational!! I was stunned, rich costumes, great locational shots, intrigue, and mystery, it was truly a well planned serial! I am surprised I have never seen those two episodes before. Well worth the watch!

And a well chosen writer: writing the occasional Doctor Who was effectively Louis Marks' third job; job number two was producing the BBC's Play of the Month series, which did productions of Ibsen, Arthur Miller, Strindberg, lightweight stuff like that. Job number one was as a professor of Renaissance History, whose PhD was the definitive text on the economics of the era where Mandragora is set...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 02:15 AM   #1082
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
starsuperion wrote: View Post
Now, the Masque of Mandragora, that was sensational!! I was stunned, rich costumes, great locational shots, intrigue, and mystery, it was truly a well planned serial! I am surprised I have never seen those two episodes before. Well worth the watch!

And a well chosen writer: writing the occasional Doctor Who was effectively Louis Marks' third job; job number two was producing the BBC's Play of the Month series, which did productions of Ibsen, Arthur Miller, Strindberg, lightweight stuff like that. Job number one was as a professor of Renaissance History, whose PhD was the definitive text on the economics of the era where Mandragora is set...
I just watched this one and I completely agree with everything that was said.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 08:46 AM   #1083
Starkers
Admiral

I've just finished watching Doctor Who and the Silurians. First time I’ve seen it in over a decade I think. It really is rather good, and the fact it's 7 episodes never makes it feel too drawn out. It really does throw everything but he kitchen sink at you; alien invasion, mistrustful humans, nuclear annihilation, biological warfare, UNIT, good aliens, bad aliens, Whitehall bureaucrats, action, adventure, Liz Shaw in go go boots…all this plus Avon!!

Pertwee is extremely confident in the role given its only his second adventure (am I right in thinking they were filmed in order back then as well?)
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 08:59 AM   #1084
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

^^
And the sequel is this big, dumb, fantastic action movie, which is, in my opinion, equally excellent.
Old August 27 2014, 09:27 AM   #1085
Starkers
Admiral

Oh that'll be next on my list. I inherited the Silurian box set a month or two back. I am right in assuming The Sea Devils features The Master/clangers moment?
Old August 27 2014, 10:06 AM   #1086
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
Oh that'll be next on my list. I inherited the Silurian box set a month or two back. I am right in assuming The Sea Devils features The Master/clangers moment?
You are right.

Now if we're talking about the Silurian box set, maybe don't expect too much from "Warriors of the Deep".
Old August 27 2014, 10:15 AM   #1087
Starkers
Admiral

Warriors is probably the one I'm most familiar with, not so long ago that I saw it. It has its moments but the director should have done a better job, just turn the lights down! (and the least said about Ingrid Pitt trying to drop kick the Myrka the better...)
Old August 27 2014, 06:05 PM   #1088
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Recently I watched several selected serials of Troughton and McCoy era.

Certainly very different Doctors.
While I liked Troughton almost right away I am still warming up to McCoy a bit.
Right now I am watching Silver Nemesis in which he kinda won me over a bit more when he suddenly wore a fez and mob for a second!
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 07:38 PM   #1089
Doctorwhovian
Commander

There's sort of a theory by fans that "Warriors" was one of the reasons Michael Grade axed the show. Mainly that he was watching and saw the Myrka and felt Doctor Who couldn't compete with "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind". Which makes no sense because both were fairly high-budgeted movies compared to a TV show. Might have as well not have done I, Claudius because it didn't have the budget of the 50's sword and sandel epics.

Rumor has it that Danny Cohen has similar issues with WHO, hence why the Matt Smith seasons were split up.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 07:45 PM   #1090
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

The Armageddon Factor.

A little padded, but that's Classic Who for you. It started strong, but I lost interest in the second half.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:23 PM   #1091
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
Rumor has it that Danny Cohen has similar issues with WHO, hence why the Matt Smith seasons were split up.
Could this Danny Cohen be behind the underfounding and reduced running time for Day of the Doctor?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:42 PM   #1092
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Sea Devils also has that great sword fight with the Master where the Doctor stole and ate his sandwhich during the fight.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 03:30 PM   #1093
kirk55555
Commodore

Colony in Space wasn't very good. The Doctor, Joe and The Master were as good as always, but the story (while having some good points), felt slow and repetitive. They could have easily cut out probably two episodes worth of padding and it would have really helped the story. As it is, this wasn't terrible, but the good doesn't out weight the bad.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 10:28 PM   #1094
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Yeah, apart from the Pertwee/Delgado stuff Colony In Space is really one of the lesser Pertwees IMO.

Some interesting facts though, the whole IMC/Adjucater stuff was followed up on in the New Adventures novels, and the Doctor saying that he wants to see the universe and not own it to the Master was stated again in The End Of Time.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2014, 08:24 AM   #1095
Starkers
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
The Sea Devils also has that great sword fight with the Master where the Doctor stole and ate his sandwhich during the fight.
Yes that was great I have now watched the Sea Devils. My favourite bit was when one of the Sea Devils, when shot, does a crazy forward somersault!

It was great, and crikey how much did the Royal Navy spend helping the show out? You can just imagine the Daily Mail headline thesedays