RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 478
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 17 2014, 11:54 AM   #1051
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Man, if you've never seen Cushing as Van Helsing, Frankenstein or the likes, you've missed a treat.
Old June 18 2014, 01:00 AM   #1052
diankra
Commodore

Forget that, check him out as Winston Smith in 1984... a character also played onscreen or radio by Patrick Troughton, Edmond O'Brien, John Hurt and Christopher Eccleston.
O'Brien is easily the worst (not his fault tho), Cushing the easy best.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 02:03 AM   #1053
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
Forget that, check him out as Winston Smith in 1984... a character also played onscreen or radio by Patrick Troughton, Edmond O'Brien, John Hurt and Christopher Eccleston.
O'Brien is easily the worst (not his fault tho), Cushing the easy best.
Well, I have no desire to see anything based off of a George Orwell book, regardless of who is involved. The topic of the story wouldn't even interest me if Patrick Stewart was doing it, much less a random actor like Cushing. I had to read Animal Farm in high school, and that is the first and laststory I'll read/watch/hear by that author. Honestly, watching 1984 would probably just make me hate Cushing. "Big Brother" stories always get on my nerves, and so watching the story that invented the term is probably not a good idea
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 04:19 PM   #1054
Starkers
Admiral

Peter Cushing, a random actor? Oh the humanity...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 04:45 PM   #1055
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I'm not sure about the Cushing movies. I've heard mostly horrible stuff about them. I may get to them eventually, though.
They're not that great; I found them boring.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 05:11 AM   #1056
starsuperion
Captain

Ahem... no need to watch stories about big brother..we are living it.. NSA

Anyhow, Cushing is never to be classified as random... sorry Doctor Who the human inventor, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Van Helsing are great roles played.

Just watched Planet of the Daleks, now going back to catch the frontier in space..I am in love with this post earth Pertwee adventures..newly formed post three doctors Tardis concept and Master stories are intriguing!

Last edited by starsuperion; June 29 2014 at 02:13 AM.
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2014, 06:22 AM   #1057
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
Phillip Madoc who had a large number of Who roles (Although probably most famously Dr.Solon in Brain of Morbius) plays a bad guy.
I prefer him as the War Lord in "The War Games."

DWF wrote: View Post
I finally got to see The Web Of Fear and The Enemy Of The World. I thought Web would be the better one ot see but really Enemy Of the World turned out to be the better of the two, I loved the Doctor's romp in the ocean and Troughton in both parts was incrdible. It's shame about part three of Web Of Fear but it's great that we've got those two stories back.
I just watched those two yesterday. They're fantastic. Right up there with "The Invasion" as some of my favorite Troughtons.

"The Enemy of the World" has a great plot twist in part four. Seriously, it's been a long time since classic Who has made me go WTF like that.

I also watched some of the incomplete, animated Troughtons, like "The Moonbase" and "The Ice Warriors." Fairly mundane base under siege stories. Animation is horrible though.
Old June 29 2014, 06:29 AM   #1058
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Watched parts two, three & four for Doctor Who 'The Leisure Hive', a Fourth Doctor story with Romana II, via Netflix Instant this mornin'.
Old June 29 2014, 01:32 PM   #1059
Doctorwhovian
Commander

JNT's initial approach (as well as Chris Bidmead's) to WHO is pretty much apparent right away in that serial-disabling K-9 and the Randomizer, a more serious storyline, a more electronic score and slightly improved FX.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 02:07 AM   #1060
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Seeds Of Doom, it's still a great classic sci-fi, action.adventure story, The same team made equally awesome Terror Of The Zygons and I have to wonder what the 14th season finale would've been like had Robert Banks Sewart wrote, not that I don't love The Talons Of Weng Chiang though. I do love the Hinchfliffe era though, the stories are still entertaining and I just love the general look and feel of the show in that time point.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 04:47 AM   #1061
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The Mind Robber was a pretty good story. It was weird in a good way. The only thing kind of annoying was Zoe. This is the first serial I've seen with her, and she was especially useless, her only actions basically doing whatever stupid things she could to get them into trouble. The confrontation with the gorgon was just stupid. She just screamed about having to look at it it, even though no one was forcing her to.

Well, I guess she did "defeat" a fictional superhuman in the stupidest fight scene ever, so she kind of helped. She just kept judo flipping him, probably 10+ times. It was really bad, but it was bad enough to be entertaining. I liked the idea of seeing fictional characters brought to life, and the villain was interesting, and also coincidentally was called the master (I'd like to see someone retcon him into being an amnesiac version of The Master ). The Doctor (the 2nd, in case anyone doesn't know) was great as always. Overall, this was a fun serial. Zoe was a bit annoying, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the story.
Old July 28 2014, 03:14 PM   #1062
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Mind Robber was a pretty good story. It was weird in a good way. The only thing kind of annoying was Zoe. This is the first serial I've seen with her, and she was especially useless, her only actions basically doing whatever stupid things she could to get them into trouble. The confrontation with the gorgon was just stupid. She just screamed about having to look at it it, even though no one was forcing her to.

Well, I guess she did "defeat" a fictional superhuman in the stupidest fight scene ever, so she kind of helped. She just kept judo flipping him, probably 10+ times. It was really bad, but it was bad enough to be entertaining. I liked the idea of seeing fictional characters brought to life, and the villain was interesting, and also coincidentally was called the master (I'd like to see someone retcon him into being an amnesiac version of The Master ). The Doctor (the 2nd, in case anyone doesn't know) was great as always. Overall, this was a fun serial. Zoe was a bit annoying, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the story.
IIRC, Zoe was a response to Emma Peel in this, so, you need to accept it on that level.

I agree about The Master in this, those were thoughts, exactly, first time I saw it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 04:10 PM   #1063
diankra
Commodore

Reading between the lines, it seems that The Mind Robber (or the last four episodes to be precise) was in the works before Victoria's departure was lined up (Mind Robber was actually the last serial of the epic season five that so exhausted Troughton he decided to leave), with Victoria intended very much as an Alice figure who'd mesh with the fiction she was encountering as she fell down the rabbit hole. The rejigging for Zoe came as the scripts were being written, so its variable how deep it goes (you can't imagine Victoria throwing hte Karkas around, but all Zoe's stuff in episode is far more suited to Vic...)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 04:29 PM   #1064
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
IIRC, Zoe was a response to Emma Peel in this, so, you need to accept it on that level.

I agree about The Master in this, those were thoughts, exactly, first time I saw it.
So, was Emma Peel a completely incompetent woman who was constantly screaming? I've never seen the british Avengers show, so I don't know. Unless you just mean the lame judo flip contest, which makes more sense from the little I know of the character. It was stupid to see Zoe just repeat the same move over and over, but the kind of stupid you just laugh at.
Old July 28 2014, 07:49 PM   #1065
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

So, was Emma Peel a completely incompetent woman who was constantly screaming? I've never seen the british Avengers show, so I don't know. Unless you just mean the lame judo flip contest, which makes more sense from the little I know of the character. It was stupid to see Zoe just repeat the same move over and over, but the kind of stupid you just laugh at.
Yea, "The Action Adventure" part was a response to Emma Peel. As Diankra mentions, the "helpless" part was because it was originally intended to be Victoria when the Story was conceived.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote