Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 27 2014, 09:58 PM   #976
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The Invisible Enemy wasn't great, but I don't regret watching it. There was a lot of goofy stuff, but it had some ok moments. I also thought that K-9's debut was ok, and Leela got a few good scenes. The virus possession was kind of stupid (lightning eyes that take control of people and also make them grow fur ) but the mini clone Doctor and Leela traveling in The Doctor's head was kind of interesting. Next up is Image of the Fendahl.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 01:19 AM   #977
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Caves Of Androzani, it's still a classic story even after 30 years, Greame Harper's first time direction, Roger Limb's music and Robert Holmes writing has held up rather well over time. And you can see more Robert Holmes' obvious love for The Phantom Of The Opera, there's sveral elements of in this one.

The Mark Of The Rani and Time And The Rani, for Katie O'Mara. I've always liked The Mark Of The Rani between Jonathan Gibb's music and great location shooting it's still a great story. Kate O'Mara was pretty sexy as well and the Rani was far more useful in the story than the Master. Time And The Rani is IMO underrated, I liked McCoy's Doctor and the visual effects but it is bit much at times.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 01:52 AM   #978
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
The Caves Of Androzani, it's still a classic story even after 30 years, Greame Harper's first time direction, Roger Limb's music and Robert Holmes writing has held up rather well over time. And you can see more Robert Holmes' obvious love for The Phantom Of The Opera, there's sveral elements of in this one.
Yea, Caves of Androzani is Classic

DWF wrote: View Post
The Mark Of The Rani and Time And The Rani, for Katie O'Mara. I've always liked The Mark Of The Rani between Jonathan Gibb's music and great location shooting it's still a great story. Kate O'Mara was pretty sexy as well and the Rani was far more useful in the story than the Master. Time And The Rani is IMO underrated, I liked McCoy's Doctor and the visual effects but it is bit much at times.
I agree. I really like Mark of The Rani. And, Time and The Rani, I enjoy the basic story, it's just The whole two Mels <<<SHUDDER>>> part of the story that drops it's Stock Price, IMHO.

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The Invisible Enemy wasn't great, but I don't regret watching it. There was a lot of goofy stuff, but it had some ok moments. I also thought that K-9's debut was ok, and Leela got a few good scenes. The virus possession was kind of stupid (lightning eyes that take control of people and also make them grow fur ) but the mini clone Doctor and Leela traveling in The Doctor's head was kind of interesting. Next up is Image of the Fendahl.
The invisible Enemy is the one I mentioned that is pretty widely panned in Fandom. Did you find yourself feeling hungry for (or being turned off of) Prawns?

There are some detractors for each of Leela's 4 remaining Serials, But, I don't think any has a majority hate in Fandom, certainly I enjoy the rest (Although abrupt, I think her end Arc is pretty cool, and I love the Six Series of Romana/Leela Audios [Though I recall you don't enjoy Gallifreyan Politics, so, probably not right for you])

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; April 28 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 03:08 AM   #979
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

For all intents and purposes, Leela really has been better explored and developed in the audios than in the show. Its too bad the Holmes team didn't stay on-board for her first full-fledged season to really make her work.

But at least we have BF, right?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:48 PM   #980
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

My bit on The Aztecs is now up, where I argue that Classic Doctor and romance aren't as far apart as some would have us believe.

http://t.co/bR9EWzUDp7

Speaking of Big Finish, I'm in talks with a magazine site to start publishing my review/thoughts on their Eighth Doctor's adventures.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:53 PM   #981
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

What is it with this "Aztecs in South America" crap? One of the Fifth Doctor stories made that mistake, as well.

The Aztecs lived in Mexico. It was the Incas who were in South America.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 05:36 PM   #982
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Isn't Mexico considered to be in South America?
Old April 28 2014, 05:45 PM   #983
Timewalker

Mexico is part of Central America. South America is everything south of Panama down to Tierra del Fuego.

Old April 28 2014, 05:50 PM   #984
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Honestly, blame it on the British. Sorry. I think the impression we're given (or at least I have so to not cast all my countrymen in the same ignorant hole) is that the tribes of Native Americans (aka the Sioux, Cherokee etc) were North America, and the ones the Spanish messed with were South.

Mexico just never occurred to me in the case of what was there before the Europeans turned up. I guess my head just jumped to the conclusion that it was South America.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 08:30 PM   #985
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Mexico is in North America, although anything below the US is usually referred to as Central America even though Central America isn't an actual continent.
Old April 28 2014, 10:27 PM   #986
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post

Mexico is part of Central America. South America is everything south of Panama down to Tierra del Fuego.
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Mexico is in North America, although anything below the US is usually referred to as Central America even though Central America isn't an actual continent.
See, we're all describing it differently. I've always thought of North America being Canada and the USA and of South America being everything south of the US. I suppose yeah, thinking about it, it's really Central America. But people often refer to the south of Ireland to distinguish it from Northern Ireland and end up including (in the SOI) county Donegal, which contains Ireland's most northerly part.

I suspect, though can't be sure, that saying 'North America' or 'South America' with no reference to Central America, may be something people tend to do on this side of the Atlantic, hence the DW writers using that term.
Old April 29 2014, 01:03 AM   #987
Timewalker

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post

sidious618 wrote: View Post
See, we're all describing it differently. I've always thought of North America being Canada and the USA and of South America being everything south of the US. I suppose yeah, thinking about it, it's really Central America. But people often refer to the south of Ireland to distinguish it from Northern Ireland and end up including (in the SOI) county Donegal, which contains Ireland's most northerly part.

I suspect, though can't be sure, that saying 'North America' or 'South America' with no reference to Central America, may be something people tend to do on this side of the Atlantic, hence the DW writers using that term.
Here's some clarification, then. In the geopolitical sense, North America includes Canada, the U.S., Mexico, all the other "Central American" countries between Mexico and Panama (including Panama, of course), plus Greenland and other assorted islands, and the Caribbean islands. Yes, I know Greenland is controlled by Denmark, but there's a little island between there and Canada that our two countries have been arguing about for quite some time. There are a couple of little islands south of Newfoundland - St. Pierre and Miquelon - that belong to France. Oh, and Canada (and the Canadian SCA kingdom of An Tir) claims the North Pole - and therefore Santa Claus.

From a cultural, linguistic, and anthropological perspective, Mexico and the lands between there and Panama are considered to be "Central America" - aka MesoAmerica - and are not part of South America.

The Aztecs never lived in South America. The Incas did, as well as the many thousands of indigenous peoples of the Amazon and farther south. This is why it really annoys me every time Doctor Who comes out with this "Aztecs in South America" stuff. It's like the writers never bothered to look at an atlas of the Western Hemisphere, or even do basic research.

Old April 29 2014, 01:26 PM   #988
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Thanks. I guess I've just rather lazily been equating 'South America' with 'Latin America.'
Old April 29 2014, 03:37 PM   #989
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Thanks. I guess I've just rather lazily been equating 'South America' with 'Latin America.'
It's a common mistake here in the States as well. Especially Americans think of USA as North America, so, anything below The States, must be South America

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 04:36 PM   #990
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Whew, so it's not just me!