IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 16 2014, 02:56 AM   #871
diankra
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The Terminus novel, ISTR, makes it clear that the Doctor's put Turlough in Adric's room to make them all Get Over It. Stages of grief, etc. (Ps... note that Mawdrun ends with a spaceship blowing up... but Turlough has run away and got off before it does...)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 03:22 AM   #872
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

diankra wrote: View Post
The Terminus novel, ISTR, makes it clear that the Doctor's put Turlough in Adric's room to make them all Get Over It. Stages of grief, etc. (Ps... note that Mawdrun ends with a spaceship blowing up... but Turlough has run away and got off before it does...)
Yep, I just re-read that part of the novelization. It's ironic, though, that by the time of his regeneration, it's the Doctor who still has guilt feelings over Adric.

And there are only two occasions I can recall when Turlough wasn't an utter coward or selfishly saving his own skin at the expense of everyone else: In Frontios, he creatively tries to bluff the aliens by making them think the TARDIS hat stand is a weapon, and in Planet of Fire, when he finally makes contact with his own people - and a member of his own family.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:31 PM   #873
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I watched 'Revelation of the Daleks' a few days ago.

While I like the 6th Doctor and Peri - Peri is one of my favorite companions next to Clara - this wasn't one of my favorites. Weird characters, and a downbeat storyline...

7 out of 10
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 12:35 AM   #874
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Paradise Towers isn't very good. The Chief Caretaker was horrible (especially after his body was possessed), the "gangs" were kind of annoying, and the overall story was just not that interesting. The Doctor was ok, but that was about it. Next up is Delta and the Bannermen.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 12:42 AM   #875
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Paradise Towers isn't very good. The Chief Caretaker was horrible (especially after his body was possessed), the "gangs" were kind of annoying, and the overall story was just not that interesting. The Doctor was ok, but that was about it. Next up is Delta and the Bannermen.
I actually like Paradise Towers quite a bit myself.

Anxiously awaiting your opinion on Delta and the Bannermen

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 02:38 AM   #876
diankra
Commodore

First time round, I watched Paradise Towers thinking "Richard Briers is a really good actor, what the !!!! is he playing at?"
Then I realised "He's going to be taken over. He's saving it up for then. He'll be great then."
Then he got taken over. And got even worse.

He does, however, show quite how good he can be when he's trying in his Torchwood episode. (His wife was passable in Dalek Invasion of Earth, and his daughter was OK in her Red Dwarf episode - Holoship).
Old March 19 2014, 10:10 AM   #877
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I hate Paradise Towers, awfull stuff. I like Richard Briers best as Bertie Wooster in the old Radio 4 plays.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 02:57 PM   #878
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
First time round, I watched Paradise Towers thinking "Richard Briers is a really good actor, what the !!!! is he playing at?"
Then I realised "He's going to be taken over. He's saving it up for then. He'll be great then."
Then he got taken over. And got even worse.

He does, however, show quite how good he can be when he's trying in his Torchwood episode. (His wife was passable in Dalek Invasion of Earth, and his daughter was OK in her Red Dwarf episode - Holoship).
I've never heard of Briers before, but I have to figure that a professional actor couldn't be as he was on a regular basis. The wikipedia page says that the DVD special features for this story had Briers admit he ignored all instructions to tone down his performance, which seems really unprofessional (wouldn't they just fire an actor who wasn't listening to the director?). Either way I'm not sure if a good performance would have saved the story, but it couldn't have hurt.

This post does remind me that I had intended to get to Torchwood after getting caught up on modern Who, but as much as I like Jack as a character (I wish we'd seen him team up with the 11th Doctor at least once) the idea of an "adult" Who spinoff, especially when most sources say it starts off as bad as that sounds, made me decide to just ignore it. I'll probably watch at least the first few episodes of Torchwood soon, just to check it out. That's not related to this thread, but its just something I was thinking about.

With classic Who watching, next up is Delta and The Bannermen. I'll probably get to it fairly soon, because I really want to get to Dragonfire so that Mel can leave, Ace can join the Doctor, and hopefully the next season picks up a bit from this one.
Old March 19 2014, 03:44 PM   #879
diankra
Commodore

I'll probably watch at least the first few episodes of Torchwood soon, just to check it out.

That is probably the worst thing you could do: if the fourth episode doesn't make you give up, then the sixth will. Or... well, anything written by Chris Chibnall, which is pretty much every other episode in season one.

Unless you find you love season one (there are people who do), then try just skipping to season two after the first few, as that's when it hits its stride and starts to click. Before being totally restructured for a superb season three, and then again for a... less successful fourth run.
Old March 19 2014, 04:02 PM   #880
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'll probably try that. But, wouldn't skipping about 11 episodes (assuming I watch the first two) make series 2 confusing? I guess I could just read wikipedia. Either way, I'll watch the first 2 episodes, and then try series two if I don't like them.
Old March 19 2014, 04:09 PM   #881
diankra
Commodore

I'll probably try that. But, wouldn't skipping about 11 episodes (assuming I watch the first two) make series 2 confusing? I guess I could just read wikipedia. Either way, I'll watch the first 2 episodes, and then try series two if I don't like them.
No, all you'd need to know to come in at season two is who the team are, and that Jack's been AWOL (on a trip with Tennant and Martha).
Old March 19 2014, 04:32 PM   #882
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

If you only want to watch a bit of Torchwood watch Series 3 and forget the rest.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:15 PM   #883
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

With Torchwood, I watched the first two episodes. The first one was kind of standard, with an outsider discovering a secret organization and then joining it in the end. Episode 2 was just stupid (and fairly uncomfortable to watch at times). Still, I'll probably watch one or two more episodes of series 1.

I also watched Delta and the Bannermen, and I liked it. The story was enjoyable, the guest characters were pretty good, and even Mel wasn't as annoying as usual. The 50s setting was interesting, and the background music (and I don't mean the few actual songs in the episode) fit the story well. The american agents, while kind of pointless, were decent. The villain was maybe a bit too simple and I wonder how a guy who was so willing to randomly kill people could get a loyal following. Still, it wasn't a big deal, and overall I thought this was an enjoyable serial, much better than the previous two 7th Doctor stories before it. Next up is Dragonfire, where Mel finally leaves and Ace joins the Doctor.
Old March 20 2014, 11:34 PM   #884
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

With Torchwood, I watched the first two episodes. The first one was kind of standard, with an outsider discovering a secret organization and then joining it in the end. Episode 2 was just stupid (and fairly uncomfortable to watch at times). Still, I'll probably watch one or two more episodes of series 1.

I also watched Delta and the Bannermen, and I liked it. The story was enjoyable, the guest characters were pretty good, and even Mel wasn't as annoying as usual. The 50s setting was interesting, and the background music (and I don't mean the few actual songs in the episode) fit the story well. The american agents, while kind of pointless, were decent. The villain was maybe a bit too simple and I wonder how a guy who was so willing to randomly kill people could get a loyal following. Still, it wasn't a big deal, and overall I thought this was an enjoyable serial, much better than the previous two 7th Doctor stories before it. Next up is Dragonfire, where Mel finally leaves and Ace joins the Doctor.
Heh, Delta and the Bannermen is actually my least favorite Serial, in all of Classic Who

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 12:55 AM   #885
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Pindar wrote: View Post
I hate Paradise Towers, awfull stuff. I like Richard Briers best as Bertie Wooster in the old Radio 4 plays.
Richard Briers was in the britcom Good Neighbors, and that's where I first saw him. He's also done some Shakespeare, and is one of the supporting cast in the Kenneth Branagh version of Much Ado About Nothing.

Ghah, I hated Delta and the Bannermen. Dragonfire is better, though, a bit. One of the villains is played by the actress who was Livilla in I, Claudius - she seems quite good at playing villains!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote