Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 10 2014, 01:05 AM   #766
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I've never seen it in colour even though it's one of my favourite Pertwee stories. I should really get the DVD one of these days.
Old February 10 2014, 02:18 AM   #767
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Inspired by the thread about new Who going darker I watched some of the Tom Baker gothic-ish episodes I'm not as familiar with.

Watched Planet of Evil and that did indeed have quite an impressive body count. It was interesting that the Doctor was able to make some kind of deal with the planet(?) over the removal of the anti-matter. The alien jungle set was nicely done as were a couple of throwaway shots of that aerial recon drone. Too bad they didn't do more with that thing. I didn't like that Sorenson was let off the hook for all the mayhem he caused by his not returning the antimatter.

After the Jekyll and Hyde of Planet of Evil I watched the Frankenstein of Brain of Morbius. I thought this was pretty entertaining in execution despite a lack of really clever plotting. I was a bit shocked when Solon shot a bloody hole in his assistant's gut. The brain in a jar with lurid colors helped to "Hammer" home the atmosphere. Sarah Jane has a right smart looking outfit in this one and does a pretty good job with a blindness subplot. The details and some decent acting carry this one. Now when do we get to see those previous incarnations of the Doctor?
Those are not previous Doctors.

You want to see previous Doctors? Then watch The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, and The Two Doctors. Or the 50th anniversary special.

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I tried watching Mandragora last night, but after two episodes I'm not sure I really care to see the rest. Although it WAS pretty surprising to see Tom Baker running around and fighting people as much as he did in the story. I've seen a fair number of his episodes (although by no means all), and don't remember ever seeing him as... energetic.
I see I must be the only one here who loved Masque of Mandragora...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:22 AM   #768
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Currently halfway through "The Power of Kroll."
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 02:43 AM   #769
DWF
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I see I must be the only one here who loved Masque of Mandragora...
No, I think it's very well done story I loved the new console room set, Norman Jones was very effective and the story had a young Tim Pigott-Smith in it as well. And of course it's the first time we learn how Sarah can understand all the different languages.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 03:33 AM   #770
Snick27
Captain

Just watched The Daleks for the first time ever. Sneaking the 1st doctor was. Already hate Susan, what a whiny little brat.

Have the last 2 episodes to go. Love to watch old Doctor Who and just get a feel for that time period.
Old February 10 2014, 08:18 PM   #771
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Caligula wrote: View Post
Currently halfway through "The Power of Kroll."
If that had been the first story I ever watched (instead of The Pirate Planet, which was bad enough), I might never have watched another one!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:30 AM   #772
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Inspired by the thread about new Who going darker I watched some of the Tom Baker gothic-ish episodes I'm not as familiar with.

Watched Planet of Evil and that did indeed have quite an impressive body count. It was interesting that the Doctor was able to make some kind of deal with the planet(?) over the removal of the anti-matter. The alien jungle set was nicely done as were a couple of throwaway shots of that aerial recon drone. Too bad they didn't do more with that thing. I didn't like that Sorenson was let off the hook for all the mayhem he caused by his not returning the antimatter.

After the Jekyll and Hyde of Planet of Evil I watched the Frankenstein of Brain of Morbius. I thought this was pretty entertaining in execution despite a lack of really clever plotting. I was a bit shocked when Solon shot a bloody hole in his assistant's gut. The brain in a jar with lurid colors helped to "Hammer" home the atmosphere. Sarah Jane has a right smart looking outfit in this one and does a pretty good job with a blindness subplot. The details and some decent acting carry this one. Now when do we get to see those previous incarnations of the Doctor?
Those are not previous Doctors.

You want to see previous Doctors? Then watch The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, and The Two Doctors. Or the 50th anniversary special.
Well, that's what the wink is for though I'm not so sure it wasn't the intention at the time. With Morbius being a time lord though it can be easily reconciled that we were seeing incarnations of Morbius as part of the mind-bending.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:04 AM   #773
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ The reality is though they *were* intended to be pre-Hartnell Doctors. There's documented proof of it. And while the fandom has definitely spent the best part of 30 years trying to reconcile them as simply being incarnations of Morbius, the fact that we've just been introduced to the Hurt Doctor, and then told that the new guy is going to be Number One of a new 13 body life cycle, means that the idea of the Doctor having pre-Hartnell incarnations should be a HECK of a lot easier for us to accept these days.

Realistically, if Hinchcliffe and co expected us to accept them as 'older Doctors', then we should. Now more than ever. That was the intention of the script, which was written by the series' own Script Editor at the time lest we forget, and that's what was depicted (although never stated directly) on-screen by the way the battle between the two actually goes down. So in my view, it's a simple matter to say those guys are from a different life cycle, and that the Hartnell incarnation (like Capaldi) was the first Doctor of a new life cycle, after those guys.

Last edited by Lance; February 11 2014 at 03:15 AM.
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:09 AM   #774
DWF
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
^ The reality is though they *were* intended to be pre-Hartnell Doctors. There's documented proof of it. And while the fandom has definitely spent the best part of 30 years trying to reconcile them as simply being incarnations of Morbius, the fact that we've just been introduced to the Hurt Doctor, and then told that the new guy is going to be Number One of a new 13 body life cycle, means that the idea of the Doctor having pre-Hartnell incarnations should be a HECK of a lot easier for us to accept these days.

Realistically, if Hinchcliffe and co expected us to accept them as 'older Doctors', then we should. Now more than ever. That was the intention of the script, which was written by the series' own Script Editor at the time lest we forget, and that's what was depicted (although never stated directly) on-screen by the way the battle between the two actually goes down. So in my view, it's a simple matter to say those guys are from a different life cycle, and that the Hartnell incarnation (like Capaldi) was the first Doctor of a new life cycle, after those guys.
True behind the scenes they were meant to be the Doctor's past lives, but that was never stated onscreen. And yes Robert Holmes rewrote the story but Terrance Dicks was the original writer and his intentions were unknown.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:14 AM   #775
Lance
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
True behind the scenes they were meant to be the Doctor's past lives, but that was never stated onscreen. And yes Robert Holmes rewrote the story but Terrance Dicks was the original writer and his intentions were unknown.
Terrance Dicks wrote a completely different story. There was no 'mind battle' in Dicks' version, that was a concotion thought up by Robert Holmes when he did what was basically a top down re-write, *only* keeping the vague Frankenstein allusions from Dicks' script but basically starting again with a brand new story that had no relation to anything Dicks had written. In fact, according to Dicks himself, it actually created friction between him and Bob Holmes, because Dicks on this occasion vocally objected to the story he wrote being thrown in the trash and replaced with an almost entirely different story done by Holmes.
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:51 PM   #776
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I watching "Inside the Spaceship," which is the first First Doctor story I've seen in its entirety (I've seen "An Unearthly Child" and the first two episodes of "The Daleks). While it was obviously a budget saver and felt more like a stage play than anything else, I still enjoyed it. It made me want to go back and give "The Daleks" another chance. After the second episode of it, which mostly consisted of half an hour of the main cast moaning and groaning as they suffered from radiation poisoning, I didn't think I could make it through 5 more episodes.

I also enjoyed the Doctor Who: Origins special feature on the "Inside the Spaceship" DVD. I wondered if Mark Gatiss watched it as he was writing "An Adventure in Space and Time." I'm sure the people interviewed have talked about the events many times, but it was fun to hear Verity Lambert and Waris Hussein decribe the exact scene in the Chinese restaurant that happens in the movie.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 06:49 PM   #777
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just watched Planet of Giants for the first time, and I have to say I was rather impressed by the large-scale props they came up with for that, especially for 1964 on a TV budget. The fly in particular was surprisingly creepy and realistic.

The story did seem to skip around a bit (not sure how much of that is due to the cutting of the fourth episode or not), but overall I still thought it worked rather well.

Definitely a lot more blood and dead body than I'm used to seeing on DW though, that's for sure.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 11:21 PM   #778
diankra
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Terrance Dicks wrote a completely different story. There was no 'mind battle' in Dicks' version, that was a concotion thought up by Robert Holmes when he did what was basically a top down re-write, *only* keeping the vague Frankenstein allusions from Dicks' script but basically starting again with a brand new story that had no relation to anything Dicks had written. In fact, according to Dicks himself, it actually created friction between him and Bob Holmes, because Dicks on this occasion vocally objected to the story he wrote being thrown in the trash and replaced with an almost entirely different story done by Holmes.
Exactly. Dicks angrily told Holmes to never speak to him again and 'put it out under some bland pseudonym.'.
Then he saw it go out as 'by Robin Bland', and called Holmes to make up once he'd stopped laughing.
It's noteable that in the book Dicks makes it 'a blur of faces, gone too fast for Sarah to really see them' (very rough quote) to fudge the issue, as Deadly Assassin had gone out by then (and as its book was the next but one he did, four months later, he probably had the scripts by then).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 03:06 PM   #779
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Just watched The Moonbase. What a great release! Nice to see a release that I never though would happen given Lost in Time, so the fact that it's a bonus release makes it that much better.

This one's always been one of my favorite stories. Episode 1 draaaaaaaaaags on, but has a good cliffhanger and the rest of the story is excellent. Yes, it's similar to The Tenth Planet, but it feels like it's much better executed. And the Cyberman costumes are a definite improvement.

The restoration is excellent, as always. Episodes 2 and 4 look even better than they did on Lost in Time. The animation...well, Episode 1's felt very stilted. The characters are definitely "on model" but very few of Troughton's facial expressions and tics came through. On the flip side, Episode 3's animation was much better, especially in the action sequences.

The DVD cover for this one is one of the best in the range. Strangely, the back of the DVD case is kind of funny - two of the three screencaps are photos from Episode 1!

I haven't gotten to the extras yet aside from the trailer for The Underwater Menace - this gives me a chuckle every time I watch it.
Old February 12 2014, 04:40 PM   #780
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I finished The Hand of fear. It was a decent adventure, and the end of Sarah Jane's time with the Doctor. I think they were probably a little naive when it came to the villain, but they managed to stop him pretty easily.

Next up, while I still intend to get back to the second Doctor (and of course continue with the 4th with The Deadly assassin) I'm going to watch The Two Doctors next. It will be my first time seeing the 6th Doctor, which should be...interesting. I only know him by reputation, but it's not exactly a good one. Still, the 2nd Doctor makes it worth a watch by himself.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote